Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
down_shift
Fortress Maximus
MasterCollectors = MasterStealers?

Ok, anyone who has eyes and is a Transformers fan can plainly see that there "Nova Prime" is 110% our good friend Daks "Daksterpiece Nova Prime"

Now I may be swinging wayyy out to left field, but I'm pissed. It's one thing for a 3rd party to make there own figures and do it well - see FansProject - but to flat out steal another persons piece like that is... is... well it's just wrong!

My apologies to Dak if this is something you have sanctioned another to do, but if not just remember I can swing a bag of door knobs like it's nobodies business
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind
Re: MasterCollectors = MasterStealers?

And now you know how Hasbro feels...

Time will tell if the molds are the same though. I'm sure that Dak will accept it as a complement as he know he made the original design.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
chans formers
raff ow roud

you're not to far out to left field on this one. they both look "strikingly" similar, except dak's version has a way better headsculpt.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
J.Soundwave
Beast Machine

Funny, that is the first thing that came to mind when i first saw this. Looks very similar to Dak's custom i saw on here a while back.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Dinoboob
Generation 1

Interesting thought. I recall seeing his Nova Prime at a TFcon and it was a very impressive figure.

I think there is more than one way to look at this. Dak made a custom so it was created using a different figure and then higly modified.

I don't think that Master Collector is buying many of that one figure and then painstakingly recreating the work that Dak did, just like he did as that would just be silly. It does look like they are creating a figure that would look like the one Dak did as it was based off an already extablished image. They may have taken ideas from Dak's model or they may have done the figure completely from scratch and it just amazingly looks like Dak's because it is the same character.

The transformation looks quite simple with lots of detail to the figure. It is obvious it would not take too much thought to designing how it transforms. I am unsure of what the original design is like but does it look like it would transform as it did in its original concept? If so then even that would be hard to point fingers at any one.

Best thing would be to do some comparison shots. Get Dak's and Master P's side by side and see how close they really are. Then start pointing figures.

Nice work on yours Dak. I walked away from your figure in awe. I would have loved to own it right then and there even tho I don't know who the guy actually is. If MP can give me one even close to Dak's in a reasonable price range then I would consider it, because Dak's really made me want one!

If you check out this image: http://www.cybertron.ca/gallery/Nova...C09441WATERcyb and this image:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...chmentid=25679 you can see some very considerable differences in the figures. Also at only 7 inches tall, it is in now way anywhere near as impressive as Dak's giant version.

Last edited by Dinoboob; 12-13-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Dinoboob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Meh. Much as I want to agree, they're both based on Fig's sketches.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
venksta
Render Project Creations

Dak already mentioned on TFW that he worked something out with MasterCollectors.

Now, Dak's custom and this MC figure are both based off the same source material, which both don't have the rights too. The only thing MC could of stole off of Dak, is the engineering he had to figure out, to translate the original 2D design into something physical. Though, its public knowledge that Don, the original designer for Nova Prime, makes most of his designs be able to become toys. So there is a good chance that if MC never did look at Dak's custom, they'd still be similar. But MC has stated on their site they did look at Dak's custom.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Megamould
Dipstick Tapedeck

If you compare them side by side there's lots of differences. They were created using completely different methods, but both based on the same sketches. I do think they saw what worked on Dak's custom and applied it to theirs though. If they went out and mass produced this thing and made a boatload of money there might be something worth gettting worked up over, but it doesn't seem they have the ability to do that.

BST: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=22233

Incoming:

Looking for: Striker Prime, Jetwing Prime
Megamould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
down_shift
Fortress Maximus

I suppose you're all right. Based of Dons sketches, anyone could pop this sucker out.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I suppose you're all right. Based of Dons sketches, anyone could pop this sucker out.

I know I couldn't. Dak's pretty freakin awesome with his customizing and modification skills.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote