Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
L1FTER
Generation 1
Transformers Comics...where do I start?

I'm looking to get into reading Transformers comics but I'm not sure which ones are worth picking up. I'm into serious story lines and am mainly interested in G1 style characters. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
L1FTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
DuG
Titanium
Re: Transformers Comics...where do I start?

IDW's Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets the Eye are great stories to get you started. You can easily find the collected forms at great prices and if you are interested in any of the back stories you can read up about them on the wiki.
DuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
L1FTER
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuG View Post
IDW's Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets the Eye are great stories to get you started. You can easily find the collected forms at great prices and if you are interested in any of the back stories you can read up about them on the wiki.
Yeah from what I've researched IDW is the way to go. I may actually go back and read all that pre Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets the Eye story to see what happened.

Last edited by L1FTER; 10-22-2014 at 10:50 PM.
L1FTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
carissa
Energon

The sister site, TFW 2005 has reading order list you may want to browse. But yeah for current ongoing stuff RID/MTMTE.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...ng-orders.html
carissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Get Last Stand of the Wreckers, then start on More Than Meets the Eyes and Robots in Disguise. For the rest, just read TFwiki. The whole "ation" era looks a bit confusing to me.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
Arcee
Autobot

Last Stand of the Wreckers (which is a 5 part series) is usually a good, if not slightly intense, place to start off for the comics. From then I highly recommend reading The Death of Optimus Prime (its a single comic). Both of these will give you enough background to read More then Meets the Eye (a fantastic, funny, and tragic ongoing series) and Robots in Disguise (more of a political drama (but is very interesting) ongoing series). After the Dark Cybertron event in both MTMTE and RID, the 4 part Windblade mini series would also be an interesting read, as it is its own story but also builds off of RID.
If you find all of those to be to your liking, I have a couple more suggestions. The spotlight comics are one-off books that each focus on a single character, so they are good to read to get some background on specific characters. Also, the 12-part All Hail Megatron series is pretty good for some Autobot vs Decepticon action on earth, and can also give some background info to a bit of RID. And finally, if you like MTMTE, there is a four part series coming out in November centered around Drift. So keep an eye out for that!

I hope this text dump can help you find what you're looking for!
Arcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:40 AM   #7
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcee View Post
Last Stand of the Wreckers (which is a 5 part series) is usually a good, if not slightly intense, place to start off for the comics. From then I highly recommend reading The Death of Optimus Prime (its a single comic). Both of these will give you enough background to read More then Meets the Eye (a fantastic, funny, and tragic ongoing series) and Robots in Disguise (more of a political drama (but is very interesting) ongoing series). After the Dark Cybertron event in both MTMTE and RID, the 4 part Windblade mini series would also be an interesting read, as it is its own story but also builds off of RID.
If you find all of those to be to your liking, I have a couple more suggestions. The spotlight comics are one-off books that each focus on a single character, so they are good to read to get some background on specific characters. Also, the 12-part All Hail Megatron series is pretty good for some Autobot vs Decepticon action on earth, and can also give some background info to a bit of RID. And finally, if you like MTMTE, there is a four part series coming out in November centered around Drift. So keep an eye out for that!

I hope this text dump can help you find what you're looking for!
"The Death of Optimus Prime" is included in More Than Meets the Eyes volume 1.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:48 AM   #8
CanBot
Cybertron

...are the above stories in the IDW Ombibus volumes?
Old 10-23-2014, 02:29 AM   #9
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
...are the above stories in the IDW Ombibus volumes?
I think they're too recent for those.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:15 AM   #10
AeroShake
Made of Gundamium
Send a message via Skype™ to AeroShake

This collection is a recent one and contains The Death of Optimus Prime and the first 5 or 6 issues of MTMTE and RID. It's a great start as it covers them in chronological order and not just by issue numbers.

Wants/Needs
- DAFT PUNK MEMORABILIA
- GCreations Six Shot
- Maketoys Cross Dimension Nemesis Prime
- Transformers Kuro Kara Kuri Tarn
- Transformers Kuro Kara Kuri Star Saber
- Warhammer 40k stuff

AeroShake is offline   Reply With Quote