Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-01-2020, 07:08 PM   #31
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con
Re: Earthrise un-appreciation thread

I feel... meh. I mean, sure, I like the figures I’ve seen so far, and would like to add them to my collection, but... I’m not really excited. I know I’ll grab Wheeljack, cause IMO they’ve never done a good Wheeljack, (maybe Energon Downshift was as close as they got for me), but everyone else? I look at them and think, ‘hey, that’s a nice Optimus Prime’, but then I remember that Ive bought like 15 Primes in the last five years, and each one gets just enough better to warrant a new figure. I feel like I’m getting milked at this point. The flip side to that, of course, is when they put out a character I’m not as familiar with I might not care.

For me it might just be a bit of fatigue as a collector. Trying to keep up with multiple lines of Transformers, plus Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black, Power Rangers Lightning... it might be time to scale back. I’ve been collecting since my teens and I’m getting ready to celebrate 40 later this year, so the price hikes, wonky distribution, ‘gotta get it now or lose it forever’ mentality, and constant pile of loot on the horizon might be teetering the balance from fun towards stressful a bit too much. That’s just me though.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:25 PM   #32
joshimus
Metroplex

So I bought my first Earthrise which was Optimus and while the figure itself is nice, the size is not a justifiable 70.00. I'm tempted to take him back and just wait for a decent sale instead. It's just not worth it when I have soooo many Primes on my shelf to begin with.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #33
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Quinn View Post
I feel... meh. I mean, sure, I like the figures I’ve seen so far, and would like to add them to my collection, but... I’m not really excited. I know I’ll grab Wheeljack, cause IMO they’ve never done a good Wheeljack, (maybe Energon Downshift was as close as they got for me), but everyone else? I look at them and think, ‘hey, that’s a nice Optimus Prime’, but then I remember that Ive bought like 15 Primes in the last five years, and each one gets just enough better to warrant a new figure. I feel like I’m getting milked at this point. The flip side to that, of course, is when they put out a character I’m not as familiar with I might not care.
Yeah, it's nuts. Makes me think of all the Snake Eyes toys when GI Joe was a thing. Each one was slightly better than the previous one, but then you have a mountain of Snake Eyes.
NightshadeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #34
justprime
Animated

To be honest just bought the earth raise optimus ...as an optimus collector and fan I am dissapointed in this rendition starting with seige i selectively purchased
....the quality was the issue as was the price ...I can saftley say this new line seems worse ...smaller ,more expensive ,the hollows,as for prime I do like the articulation but it stops there the trailer is pure folly no weight to it poorly constructed hell the axles are missing for added strenght and plastic feels brittle not much in the way of axcessories,pimes transformation is good hate the visible bumper/tires in bot mode really they could have added a little more engineering to hide these ,and I am not fond of the weapons plug in ports truck cab side or in stacks no.need for these and it takes away from the esthetic clean look ,stacks could have been a tad longer..
Again for an 70 plus cost I certainly dont feel bang for buck here if the entire lines like this ill pass on most of these figures possibly buy them on clearance or on secondary market . I cannot justify collecting the complete set as I have done in past years.(since g1 days)....wont even go into the absolutly shit distrabution is or high cost of buying on web.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #35
Incepticon
Double Agent

Transformers are like chocolate bars: the prices keep going up and the sizes keep going down.

Forget all the "but... inflation der der der" nonsense - the figures themselves have shrunk down to absurd degrees. I look at virtually any voyager & leader from the original CHUG era, Animated and even the Bayformer stuff, and they absolutely dwarf the figures coming out these days.

That is what kept me away from Siege initially - not just the high prices - the high prices for such ridiculously tiny figures. Paying leader class prices for voyagers that are only deluxe sized. No f'ing way.

As for Earthrise, other than ^ those reasons, I hate that the aesthetic has changed. I mean, I like the smooth surfaces being back and the Earth alt modes, but I don't like that these are supposed to fit in with the overly textured alien shit from Siege. I especially hate that so many people just got bamboozled with new/better/updated figures of characters that JUST came out via Siege. I think that's just dirty pool on Hasbro's part.
Incepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #36
alternatorfan
g1 baby

There is 3 segments
And judging by what's coming out
The death of optimus is coming back
In the 3rd series
Judging by the artwork on earthrise you see unicron
So I think the people that crowd funded him will be happy
Cause they will release him at the same time as the 3rd series
Be we the people that didn't are SOL.
what a shame.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #37
justprime
Animated

Was just looking at trailbreaker and hoists vehicle mode ...these reminded me of tonka toys trucks I picked up for my kids in 80s...personally I find it insulting that hasbros trying to cash in on g1 look /not look these represent..updating the figures with more articulation would have gone a long way for the g1 fans as opposed to these kinda g1 bots one of the things that kept me interested over these years was new modern looking vehicles not this badly rehash, remold, repaint of the bots I loved ....stepping backwards in all aspects ..
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #38
DanicusTF(cdn)
Armada

I recently completed collecting the first wave, and I have to agree with a lot of the sentiments expressed in this thread. if it’s the quarantine that’s dulling my usual sense of joy, or G1 fatigue, but I can’t help but feeling that everything so far is “been there, done that”, especially if you’re a Masterpiece collector. I’m going to give myself more time to see if I warm up to them.

Optimus especially disappoints. The trailer seems half-baked, and not worth the Leader price. The figure itself is fine.
DanicusTF(cdn) is offline   Reply With Quote