Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-04-2016, 12:19 AM   #21
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt
Re: Top 15 of 2015

When I went back and made a tally, I couldn't believe how many TF figures I bought in 2015. Really a crazy amount (for me, anyhow). Between RID2015 and Combiner Wars, well, I went nuts -- much like many of us did. It was also the year when I strove to develop my collection in two specific areas -- Masterpieces and fembots. I got 5 of the former with another half-dozen still on preorder, and 15 of the latter, which is a list all by itself. (Unfortunately I didn't get MP Road Rage yet, or I'd have something that checks both boxes!)

My top 15 of 2015 in no particular order are:

Generations Arcee - This is the G1 toy I waited 30 years for. A fantastic rendering of this classic fembot. The only thing that could be better would be an official MP release.

Generations Brainstorm - Some have complained about the simplistic transformation, and they're not wrong. But he's also an uncanny replica of his IDW design, and makes a great display piece. The fact he was never released in Canada (like Arcee above) adds an extra element of specialness.

Combiner Wars G1 Megatron - Like I said last year, this is the best and most G1-like Megatron I've seen in ages. He's just THIS close to standing in for an MP in my collection. Big, silver and impressive.

Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus - Another fabulous IDW design brought to three-dimensional reality. His fully integrated transformation is very MP-esque, and he has such presence in bot mode. The fact Hasbro even incorporated Minimus Ambus into this figure is too awesome to fathom.

Combiner Wars Devastator - I got over my misgivings pretty fast once I had this massive figure in hand. Holy shit. Supremely impressive and IMO scales decently with either Generations/CW or MP figures.

RID2015 Fixit (legion) - Hasbro hit a home run with the legion class version of Fixit. Not only is he a nearly perfect rendition of his TV design, but this size scales just right with other warrior-class figures. Plus he's so damn full of personality.

RID2015 Fracture (warrior) - A late release but a standout in this toy line, easily better than the Deployer and One-Step versions. He has a clever enough transformation and looks great.

Takara Legends Nightbird - A very nice remold of Generations Arcee that almost makes you forget it's a remold. I love that there's finally an official figure for this character.

Takara Legends Slipstream - Ditto here too. I wish there had been a proper figure for her in TF Animated line, but this is a great homage using a remold of the Windblade design, especially the chest cockpit.

Takara Legends Blackarachnia - If you remember what the original Beast Wars toy looked like, you know this was a LONG overdue update. Excellent and inspired remold of TFA Blackarachnia.

Cybertron Thunderblast - I was so happy to get my hands on her -- not like that! For my collection! Yes, she's a notorious shellformer, but has a ton of personality and is a unique character among Decepticon fembots.

Takara MP-10 Optimus Prime - Do I really need to elaborate? Possibly the most perfectly designed MP figure in both modes. Spectacular showcase piece.

Takara MP-12 Sideswipe - I was late to the party, so this reissue came at a perfect time for me. The figure has its issues but he's an essential part of an Autobot MP collection.

Takara MP-25 Tracks - BIGGEST LETDOWN OF THE-- never mind. I love this guy. He's pure sex appeal in both modes, especially with that metallic blue finish.

Hasbro MP Starscream - This is just as much a holy grail for me as MP-10 is. To finally have the original Seeker in the exceptional MP-11 mold is one of the highlights of the year for me as a TF collector.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 AM   #22
Outtsyder
Another 1 Bites The Dust
Cool Re: Top 15 of 2015

Not in any particular order, but these are my 15 favorite TF purchases of 2015 (only got photos for some of them):

1: Masterpiece Ultra Magnus. First TF purchase of 2015. I also like how this arrangement turned out:

2: Generations Arcee. Like many others, I've been waiting for a G1 Arcee since 1986.

3: Generations Chromia. Really like her TRON-esque vehicle mode.

4: Combiner Wars Blackjack. Unexpectedly fun toy in a small package, and a cool name.

5: RiD Legends Fixit. The 1500th TF in my collection, and even more fun in a small package.

6: Combiner Wars G1-tank Megatron. Arguably the best G1-inspired Megatron figure to date, scaling virtually perfectly with the Masterpiece line.

7: Combiner Wars Devastator. Enough Said.

8: Masterpiece Starscream. Enough Said 2: The Sequel.

9: Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus & Minimus Ambus. Interesting how Magnus gets two entries in this list.

10: Masterpiece Tracks. Who doesn't love a flying classic Corvette? Also an upgrade of the first Autobot I ever had.

11: Nightbird Shadow. A major surprise being a one-time-only character, with an even longer wait time between cartoon appearance and toy release than Arcee.

12: Combiner Wars Shockwave. While the Decepticons' Guardian of Cybertron deserves a bigger toy (can't wait for the Masterpiece), he makes for a really nice pocket-sized version. Plus, given that his firepower is based on the electromagnetic spectrum, I even gave this toy a nickname: "Shortwave."

13: Adventure Battle Grimlock. I really did NOT think I'd be able to capture this one, but I'm glad I did. An excellent example of retooling a previous figure so extensively, that it really feels like a completely different figure, not to mention he scales perfectly with the RiD Warrior Autobot Bee Team.

14: RiD Warrior Megatronus. A late entry, but far more fun than I originally expected. Vehicle sort of reminds me of the tank programs in the original TRON movie.

15: Combiner Wars Bruticus. I'm cheating a little bit since this is five figures in one (like CW Devastator's six-pack set), but he's probably my favorite of the Combiner Wars giants.

(the "SHX" stands for "shanix")

Creative arts page: Scorpion's Heart Overnight Creations
https://www.facebook.com/ScorpionsHeart.SHOC/

Written works on Archive Of Our Own - ScorpionsHeart
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sc...ScorpionsHeart

Feedback thread: https://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=33913

"Study the great, and become greater."
- Michael Jackson
"Who are we, if not measured by our impact on others?"
- Carl Sagan
Outtsyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:54 AM   #23
protoform_ironhide
Commander

I have gotten quite a few Transformers in 2015, but probably not as much as 2014. Here is the order from the most favourite to the least. I probably don't have 15, as I am not impress with all the Transformers I picked up.

1.UW Superion, I only have the Takara version. This guy is stunning the first time I combined him when I put him on my desk! Immediately becomes one of my favourite TF! Good job on this one Has/Tak!

2.CW Leader Ultra Magnus, this Ultra Magnus is a must get! Get rid of that Fansproject UM already, this one is 30X better than that Knockoff.(I got Masterpiece Magnus in 2014, so I didn't put him on this list.)

3.CW Motormaster, a very good G1 updated character. it is a dream come true for me as an individual figure, he is very poseable! I love this mold. The only downside to this Transformer is the combined Menasor... it's a mess....

4.Generations Legend Swerves, this guy was released in 2014, but I never get him until now. I have been searching for a fair price on this little guy for a while, as I regretted I didn't pick him up when I use to see him shelfwarming everywhere. He is now one of my favourite, I like the facesculpt and the articulation on this guy.

5.CW legend Powerglide, love this little guy! I hope Hasbro will continue give us G1 update version of Minibots with the same scale of this Powerglide! (I kept him with the Legend 2014 Swerves, Tailgate, Gear, Cosmo & 2015 Legend Windcharger)

6.Hasbro MP 07 Masterpiece Starscream, don't need me to say more, the leader of the seekers has been long overdue. I can live without the coronation set, so it's all good. In fact, the joints on this seeker isn't loose like the previous MP sunstorm or acidstorm that we got which is a PLUS.

7.CW Optimus Maximus, didn't want this guy at first, but I have been dreaming of Optimus combining with the Autobots before, so there we have it, I gave in at last from the recent sales. He doesn't stand very well though, and the legs are very annoying like the combined Menasor.. Battle Core Optimus is very cool looking on his own with a nice headsculpt. Battle core Optimus actually got me into purchase a Red version CW Optimus just because I love this mold so much. He is still worth to get, and I have no regret.

8.CW Defensor, he is decent, but the legs are a little too short, and lacks Groove to be one of the limb... I didn't get the Takara version due to budget issue

9.CW Devastator, the only Titan you can get for 2015, this isn't perfect, but decent enough, especially the combined mode, I still like him. A good display piece overall.

These are the good ones I can think of... I am not as impress with the other figures. Come to think of it, I have only got one Takara MP figure this whole year, only Takara MP Tracks, and I can't put him on my list as I don't have much love with that figure, other than I need to have it on my MP shelf..... I still couldn't find a CW Bruticus, so I can't comment on that one yet.
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:01 AM   #24
protoform_ironhide
Commander

Oh, and I forgot one more.

10. Generations Voyager Brainstorm, decided to pick it up after the news of the Titan Wars. I know I will probably regret if I don't get it, and it turns out that the figure is very fun to play with! It worths every penny. One of the best Voyager from the Generations line in 2014/2015 I must say.
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:13 AM   #25
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

My top 15 list:

Takara Japanese G1 Blue Bacchus
MP24 Star Sabre
MP11T Thundercracker
Takara Japanese G1 Sixwing
Hasbro Platinum Trypticon
TakaraTomy LG02 Convoy (Optimus Primal)
TakaraTomy LG17 Blackwidow (Blackarachnia)
TakaraTomy UW04 Devastator
Takara e-Hobby purple G1 Astrotrain
Fansproject Function X-6 Knight (Sixknight)
Make Toys RM07 Visualizers (Reflectors)
Toy World TW06C Devil Star (Astrotrain)
Kotobukiya D-Style Convoy (Optimus Prime) plastic model kit
Kotobukiya D-Style Megatron plastic model kit
TakaraTomy Transformers Adventure TAV-30 Battle Grimlock

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #26
Blitzwing
Armada

I had a fair mix of old and new toys this year. I have to say that I tend to lean towards liking the older toys, especially the ones that I've been dreaming of having since I was a kid.

1) Platinum Trypticon - I've had a junker part-less Trypticon since 2001, but having a new mint one with all the parts is something else.
2) G1 Bludgeon - One of the G1 grails I always wanted but couldn't afford. Thanks to Leozak from these boards I was finally able to add him to my collection.
3) CW Devastator - Love the size, love how accurate they are to the G1 cartoon and love the transformations.
4) G1 Wheeljack - The last '84 Transformer I needed to complete my collection. I got a beautiful white figure from fellow boardie CKWG.
5) CW Ultra Magnus - Perfect for fans of the MTMTE version of the character. The best "Classics" representation of Ultra Magnus we've got.
6) Generations Brainstorm - Another great MTMTE homage, but he also looks fantastic in both modes. I got lucky finding him at Emerald City Comicon in Seattle last Spring.
7) G1 Skystalker - The base mode is a lot of fun and has a clever transformation. Great for hosting other Decepticon Micromasters.
8) G1 Iguanus - My last '88 Decepticon Pretender, I've always had trouble finding him at a reasonable price but I got lucky and got him for $20 US on ebay this summer.
9) G1 Carnivac - My last Beast Pretender and I've always wanted him since being a fan of his in the later UK comics.
10) BW Transmetal Terantulas - A huge improvement over his pre-Transmetal toy. He's probably my favorite deluxe Transmetal.
11) BW Transmetal Megatron (Takara Version) - The lack of GPS helps it a lot as I'm not afraid to transform him like the Hasbro version.
12) CW Powerglide - A fun little update of the G1 toy. Never got a chance to own the Ultra Powerglide toy, but this one scales much better as a minibot.
13) CW Hot Spot - My favorite of the CW Voyagers released so far. Love his pose-ability in robot mode.
14) G1 Roadbuster - Another very hard to find G1 toy. I don't have him complete yet as I'm missing a rifle and an antenna, but he was the last of the '85 toys that I needed to collect.
15) CW Rook - My favorite CW deluxe this year, funny that he wasn't a G1 character. I like both of his modes and he is very stable as Defensor's leg.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #27
Omegatron
Gen 1

1) Masterpiece Ultra Magnus

I always wanted something like this and it did not disappoint. Love this toy.

2) Masterpiece Star Saber

A very fun toy, glad I have it.

3) KFC not Blaster

I don’t like the fit of a lot of third party masterpiece toys but this one looked right. The transformation is a bit wonky but it fits right in with the other MPs on my shelf.

4) The complete all-spark almanac

I loved Animated and this is the perfect companion piece.

5) Leader G1 Megatron

I’m not a huge fan of the way the shoulders turned out but I can’t deny it’s a nice looking piece.

6) Titanium 6” War within Grimlock.

Finally, I’ve been pursuing this one for a while.

7) CW Thudercracker

A very nice remold of Jetfire

8) MMC not Elita One

Finally an Elita One for my shelf

9) Titanium Saint

Very expensive but very cool. It’s a great figure and it fills an Alpha Trion shaped hole in my shelf.

10) Legends Blackarachnia

Yeah Blackarachnia!

11) G1 Horri-bull

I now have all the small G1 headmasters

12) Defensor

13) Superion

14) Menasor

15) CW Devastator
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #28
Rev
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburrito View Post
When you say Ultra Magnus is #2, what exactly do you mean?
My number two pick of the year. I didn't do fifteen.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote