Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #361
TTT
OutOfCommissionToys.com
Re: Customizing Q&A Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeCron View Post
I'm thinking to repaint a couple transformers(hasbro) and was wondering what are to the steps by steps and what type of paint is suggested to use to make sure that it doesnt peel off. Do I need to sand down the figures first?

Thank you for input.
Here is a good step by step - start to finish tutorial of what you're asking for, starts with disassembling figures/parts, factory paint removal, masking...etc...
Painting focuses on spray so if you want to use only brush paints lmk, there's a different tut. for that.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=4006&page=61

As far as the paint peeling off it mainly happens where moving/connecting parts rub.
Sanding/trimming those down is the only way to effectively reduce paint chipping off.
Complete prevention might not be possible in some cases.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #362
Torque
Generation 2

How do I put a convincing dent in a metal car. To look as if it were made of a thinner metal?
Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #363
safira218
Mini-Con
Re: DAK's Customizing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkid View Post
LOL, nail polish remover, that's a good one. I work at an autobody shop, I use wax and grease remover. Not sure if it works on those TF's plastic, but it works on cars, rubbers, etc, as long as u don't soak it for too long, it is easy to clean afterward. U can actually put it in water to soften the sticker decals. That way u can also remove all the wax and grease, next blow it off, or let it dry. This way u haf less chance to get fisheyes on your paint job, cuz i am not sure if the polish remover has wax or grease in it. It is a pain in the @ss when u get fisheyes....
Thanks for sharing. It's great
safira218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #364
Commandoclone87
Seeker

About to do a custom Prowl out of Bumble Bee and was wondering what is the difference between lacquers and enamels and which is better for cars.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #365
Darth Wave
Alternator

Putty Filler!

So currently I'm using "Tamiya Putty White" for really small gaps and holes.
- What do I use for big holes???
- Is there a different brand or putty I should use?
- also is there a faster drying putty out there

By the way.... with all the chips that I have grinded off, can I add super-glue with it and use it as a filler? Same way in using saw dust and glue as a filler!
Has anyone tried this??

Edit: It was suggested that I use car filler so I'll head over to the hardware store and pick some up.

Last edited by Darth Wave; 04-05-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Darth Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #366
chans formers
raff ow roud

^i was just going to suggest that.
i prefer either "easy sand" bondo or shortstrand fiberglass.
bondo if it's something small,no more than 1/8th of an inch to maximum 3/16th's of an inch. any thicker than that and you risk having it crack on you.
for the bigger holes/gaps,shortstrand fiberglass is where it's at.

with the bondo though,if you mix it correctly with the hardener,catch it at the right time and you can almost "grade" it like cheese.
wait too long and it'll be like sanding concrete.
i find that if you also use just a smidge less of hardener than recommended,it'll give you that much more time to mess with it.

keep in mind that with the shortstrand fiber,you won't be able to do the "cheese grader" technique,as it contains actual fiberglass strings in it.

above all else......DO NOT USE THE "RED" WANNA-BE PUTTY THAT'S IN A SQUEEZE TUBE.THAT STUFF NEVER COMPLETELY DRIES AND 99% OF THE TIME WILL JUST CRACK AND FLAKE RIGHT OFF!!!!!!
if it's only a one part putty,it won't be near as strong or resistant as a two part.

Last edited by chans formers; 04-05-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: can't spell
chans formers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #367
Darth Wave
Alternator

THANKS Otis!

At first I was going to just fill everything in with a putty, but now I'm going to try out my Styrene skills. I'll try to build up the holes as much as I can with Styrene and then fill in the small gaps w/ putty.
If it doesn't work then I have the bondo on hand now to us.
Darth Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #368
Saotome
Mini-Con

Hey, so I want to take apart a Deluxe Drift to re-paint. I am first stuck at the disassemble step. Screws are obvious, but what about the pin joints? What is the best way to take these apart?
Saotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #369
Saotome
Mini-Con

okay, well while i was waiting for a response, i started to take all the screws out. Holy crap, the screws are cheap as shit. I am an apprentice engineer, I literally spend my whole day screwing things in and out. These screws? stripped like they were made of play-do. I'm only half way done taking apart the second leg, and i cant get any further cause the screws rounded like it was the cool thing to do.
Saotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #370
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

I've got a how do you take this apart question:

How do you take apart Animated Ultra Magnus?

I've got the arms and legs to a point I am happy with, but would be happier if I could detach the part that connects to the cab. Not sure if this is do-able though.

I want to get access to the electronics and would like to be able to take his head off to do some modifications. Not the end of the world if I cannot do it, but makes the job harder by leaving him together.

Does anyone have some experience with this guy?

Thanks!

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote