Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
StarScreamix
Generation 1
StarScreamix's Ebay Auctions
STOP Virgin from destroying the internet. This is serious stuff...

Hi Everyone,

I hate to get all political seeing that I am such a new member on these boards. However I think that this is so important on a world scale that I just had to post this. I saw it on another forum and I am doing what I can to spread the word through forums. I am also going to head over to facebook and join the facebook group about this too.

The video can be found here and to me was mind blowing. http://stopvirgin.movielol.org/

I could not believe a company would be so brash to do something like this. And yes, it is starting out in Europe, but once a company has set a precedence on this there is no way North American companies will brush this aside. This WILL affect us if it is not fought by all of us.

Good luck to us all. Lets cross our fingers and hope for the best.
StarScreamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Aernaroth
Metroplex
Re: STOP Virgin from destroying the internet. This is serious stuff...

It isn't just virgin that's expressed an interest in ending net neutrality. Many other communications companies have expressed an interest, mainly because it would mean more money for them.

If you really want to help, don't just join a facebook group. Send a letter or email to your MP or congressman, telling them you want to keep your right to surf how you want, and look for what you want. And then tell your friends to do the same.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
StarScreamix
Generation 1
StarScreamix's Ebay Auctions

I will be writing my MP to express my opinions. First time I have ever done this. I feel old now.

My thoughts on joining a facebook group etc... are that it will help get the word out. If it were not for a forum post I saw on another site I would be totally oblivious to this. BUT if I was surfing facebook one day and saw a group I might check it out. It's all about spreading the word. I am sure most people out there have no idea this is going on and how it is already being talked about in North America.

I am sure most people are as ignorant and uncaring about stuff as I have been in the past. I guess I'm just trying to make up for all those years of no action. Heck, I've never even voted and I feel really stupid about that now that I look at it. But I am sure that I was a prime example of the majority of my age group (18-30)
Old 05-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Pascal
Banned

I don't know man... Situation sucks, but I don't recall a Facebook group ever succeeding at anything...
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
pud333
Animated

As far as I know, we're not supposed to get political on Cybertron, but yeah, it sucks.

Best course of action is to write your MP. If you really want to voice your opinion via the internet, no offense to Cybertron and its membership, but it's not the right forum.

A better forum will be the major political blogs out there. dailykos, huffingtonpost, etc. Or the local and national news sources.

Oh, and in response to the dude in the video: My ass ain't lazy. It's just very unmotivated.

Last edited by pud333; 05-08-2008 at 04:29 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
RandomFerret

Most ISPs in Canada are already doing this. Have you noticed that torrents have gotten slower lately?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFerret View Post
Most ISPs in Canada are already doing this. Have you noticed that torrents have gotten slower lately?
Funny, I thought they seemed faster. Maybe I'm just getting lucky.

On topic, sucks... but what are you going to do?

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
BadJeff
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFerret View Post
I Would have to dissagree with that. I'm on Shaw and haven't had any issues at all. Keep in mind how many variables affect torrent speeds...seeds, leeches, ratios, encryption, quality of equipment and most of all the configuration settings....nevermind the fact that Vista (if you're using it) just doesn't deal with torrents as fast as XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I don't know man... Situation sucks, but I don't recall a Facebook group ever succeeding at anything...
Agreed... facebook only succeeds in annoying me..

At the end of the day, I think it's up to the individuals to make the choice if they want to be a customer of companies that do that or not. It's your money...spend it how you see fit....IMO of course..
Old 05-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJeff View Post
At the end of the day, I think it's up to the individuals to make the choice if they want to be a customer of companies that do that or not. It's your money...spend it how you see fit....IMO of course..
I was just coming back to add this.

I don't see any issue with the ISP's trying to do this (I personally hope it back-fires in some form). They are a company, like any other, out to make money. If someone wants to give them big money to make themselves more visible (accessible... what is the right word here?) then good on them (yay capitalism!). Is it fair to the consumer? I really don't think so, but time will tell if this move will work out in the end.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
pud333
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
I was just coming back to add this.

I don't see any issue with the ISP's trying to do this (I personally hope it back-fires in some form). They are a company, like any other, out to make money. If someone wants to give them big money to make themselves more visible (accessible... what is the right word here?) then good on them (yay capitalism!). Is it fair to the consumer? I really don't think so, but time will tell if this move will work out in the end.
Yeah, I don't blame them either for trying this. Makes complete sense from a business stand point. From a consumer / ease of information access position, it blows chunks. But ultimately, the biggest vote people have is with their wallets. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, since net neutrality has been a bigger issue as of late.

I mean c'mon! I want equal access to steal movies online! haha.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote