Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Robimus
Iacon North Scout
The Narrative & Dialog of Transformers Prime

Spoilers Obviously

For a long while now I've been hearing, almost none stop, about how poor the writing in Transformers Prime is, how its been dumbed down for children, how it just doesn't match up against the writing of other cartoons or programs.

Due to all the cricism I read I didn't even put it very high on my "to watch" list, deciding for a few reasons to wait for the DVD.

Now that I've watched the DVD I don't get what all the complaining is about. Yes, its a show that by its nature has to be able to appeal to children on some level. Yes, we have the human characters, and everyone always hates the human characters in every Transformers series.

Because of the 25 years worth of people hating "the kids" in Transformers series I don't even pay attention to those critcisms anymore.

But then I heard about how bad the writing is. How its so inferior and not worthy of our incredibly advanced adult minds. Well, I'm going to argue against that thought and present the idea that Transformers Prime is a very well written program, with a clear and very creative narrative that does an excellent job of juggling the aspects of being a childrens program while providing a solid story(even numerous relevent real world issues), all while mixing various elements of the Transformers mythos in an engaging way.

"Blood of Unicron, how I might fathom the depths of your mystery, become worthy of wielding your astonishing power!" - Megatron in Darkness Rising

The series launches with Darkness Rising, to me an interesting five episode arc that serves to introduce the characters, the setting and the general storyline for the enitre first season. I say this because they clearly had an end point in mind with all the Blood of Unicron talk, as we later see in the One Shall Rise/Fall season conclusion.

That first arc also serves to do something that most series really don't accomplish. It actually makes the villians look dangerous, even twisted. Cliffjumper, something of a red shirt I admit, is killed by Starscream which to me went along way in establishing that the Decepticons were actually a danger.

Starscream is one of numerous characters that has really impressed me in this show. He's clearly still Starscream, but he's a lot more subtle and a lot more nuanced than he's been before. He's not just a goofball that I can't imagine actually ruling the Decepticons, he's cunning and dangerous, while even appearing and actually being loyal where it suits his desires.

"Decepticons, it is with deep sorrow that I note for the log...Megatron's spark has been extinguished. All hail Starscream." - Starscream

Another character who has had a very interesting character arc in this series is Arcee. I really liked how the story continued to reference the loss of Cliffjumper and tied it into Arcee's backstory, showing how she was now twice scarred from losing her friend Tailgate. It also added so much to her relationship with Jack, gave their friendship real meaning past them just being buddies

All the characters that need development get some, from Prime to Megatron to Starscream to Arcee to even Bulkhead. Excellent side arcs like the story with the MECH terrorists really fit, seeming like something that would be very real. We get plot devices, but for the most part we're shown that winning the lottery(so to speak) doesn't happen.

Both Ratchet & Bulkhead get shown that you can't improve yourself by taking a short cut, both great one off episodes. Jack's mom coming into the mix added some nice dramatic tension as well. Yes they kept it light, but the seriousness of the situation of three kids being taken in by robots still showed. I thought it worked well without taking the show so far as to turn it into a drama.

"You mean my trophies. I collect endangered species. Of course, they aren't really endangered...until they meet me." - Black Arachnia(Known by some other silly name in this show)

"Hey partner, heck of a view you got up here. If there's even a small chance your spark is out there listening, well, we could really use you, Cliff. Seems like everyday another Decepticon arrives on the scene. We're outnumbered and outgunned. Yeah, I know what you'd say, 'Sounds like a fair fight,' and if that's the world we live in, so be it. I just want you to know, I haven't given up. I'm going to find the Con who took you from us." -Arcee

"Watch out for the quiet ones…" - Knock Out

So yes, in conclusion I don't agree with the many harsh critcisms I've seen of this show. I think its a very well put togther program(at least Season 1) and in its own way is equal, if not better than, some of the 'adult' programs I enjoy like The Walking Dead.

It's Transformers, its for kids and adults, it needs to have its humor and balance the drama with that comedy. I think it does all that very well.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!

Last edited by Robimus; 03-28-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Ozrein
Stunticon
Re: The Narrative & Dialog of Transformers Prime

Couldnt agree more. I wasnt immediately taken by TF Prime when I first saw the first few episodes, but as I watched it more and more, I became a fan. And while I still think TF Animated is the better series overall, Prime has risen up the ranks and is becoming a close 2nd, imo.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Vain
Spin Drive Smasher

I majored in Media during College and I never jumped on the bandwagon of criticising the show. In all honesty, for what the show is, it delivers hard on all fronts.

It's a show for youths. It merges our beloved G1/BW with a new mordern vibe and aims itself at the kids who've generally have been watching a lot of rubbish nowadays. The narrative is intricate enough to not be repetative and flows quite smoothly. The dialogue amongst characters is engaged and memorable and characters who seemingly can't talk or choose not to talk are written in such a way that they become loveable.

It's a serious win. It's simple enough for kids to really get into it and has enough fanservice and seriousness for an older audience to tune in.

All that's missing....and I really think this would make it even better, are public service announcements.

"They can't beat the Best"

Follow me on Instagram: @Dropdead_Charlie
Game with me on PsN: Dropdead_Charlie

-------------------------------------
Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

Let me get back to you on this in full detail on how I argue against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
shockwing
Please, call me Bringer

From reading Cybertron.ca, there are mainly positive comments about the show. But when you get to TFW, well lets say its the total oppisite.
like one complaint is how Cliffjumpers death was too early, well that set the tone (just like you said) for the show and the fact that the Decepticons are dangerous. How Bumblebee still does not talk ever since the movies, well would you rather have him talk? I'm pretty sure they would go with the Animated Bumblebee if you like.
another is Wheeljack having swords reminds people of Drift, I dont blame them for thinking that since he is white and has multiples swords. But when you say you hate the character because of that, just because you hate Drift, does not mean you should hate the guy who has a similar look.
How the design reminds them of Animated or the movies or both and hate the show just for that reason, but its not Animated or the movie, its something new and fresh and it works.
How nothing reminds them of G1, that because its not G1, if you want G1 watch your DVDs or read the comics even.
shockwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Hellboy
Alternator

If you sit back and watch G1 episodes compared to Prime you'll see how horribly simplistic things used to be.

I really like the TF Prime Series. Animated was/is still better but that's an opinion based on 3 Seasons worth of development. I think by the time we (hopefully) get at least 3 Seasons of Prime it will undoubtedly rank as #1.

There are things here and there that annoy me about Prime (like how Skyquake hadn't "acquired an alt mode" yet happened to already look like a transformed jet fighter) but G1 Megatron transforming into a tiny gun irritated me beyond belief too.

People bitch. People moan. If they come to the party late that's their fault. It's a great show.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Undrave
Canadian Slag

I think Prime is a brilliant show with great characters and a solid mythology, inheriting 25 years of mythological development.

I haven't seen Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon but I will say that 'Darkness Rising' is a WAY better Transformers movie than the first movie. It doesn't meandre about with b-plot sappy love story with the meatbags, it doesn't try to be needlessly mysterious, it brings us into the war right there, its a TRANSFORMERS story not anything else and they give personality to both villains and heroes. And the direction is way better and clearer than Michael Bay's stupid shaky cam style that make the fights between transformers nothing but big balls of metal swirling in a uncomprehensible mess.

That fight on the Nemesis where you see through the kids view of the fight with the muted sound, as though you had been defeaned, was very very effective in conveying the scale of the battle. It made it feel very frightenening and was just a brilliant piece of direction.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

See I do kinda agree with the Drift/Wheeljack critiques on a conceptual level. But ultimatly that doesn't bring the story down at all. Its more like an issue with one small decoration on a Christmas Tree.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

I also thought that it had been been well recevied by the fandom.

I haven't watched to much of it, but what I have seen, I like and appreciate it.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Undrave
Canadian Slag

I don't even get the hate for Drift. I got Spotlight: Drift (admitedly my only exposure in fiction) and I think he's neat enough.

My biggest gripe with Prime is really 'magical hacker Raf'.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote