Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-26-2022, 09:40 AM   #131
evenstaves
you renegade maverick
Re: Is new pricing keeping you away?

Just found 1st wave Legacy deluxe @ the local WalMart last night
was on a shelf, but unticketed

When I was at the cash I honestly got a bit of sticker shock -> $35.97 each!!! buying 3 is over a hundy, jesus

and WM is the lower price! (compared to TRU I mean)
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:41 AM   #132
Marcotron
Robot Master

42.99 for a deluxe at Toysrus is obscene. It's getting to the point where, every time I walk into the store, the prices have changed.

Also, who is ready for a (ugly diaclone) repaint of Titan's Return Twin Twist, which was originally sold for 16.99 or 19.99 to now be priced at 42.99+. Same toy, (maybe a different face?), now costing so much more. It's not engineering. It's bad business.

Another wrinkle to add. Let's take Kup for an example. They release a toy, looks ok, and an improvement on the previous mold. You go out and buy it for these exorbitant prices. Then, a couple of months later, they re-release the figure with certain things changed to make it objectively better. Removing the dirt paint that many dislike, or changing the colour scheme to fit the character better such as with Kup. What do you do?
With the distribution problems they have, you maybe see a figure once in stores, before it disappears.
You start to understand (not condone) the frequency of product swap and returns.
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:58 AM   #133
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

It made me shy
Old 04-26-2022, 11:06 AM   #134
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

I decided on a soft ban on Hasbro products this week. I cancelled around $600 worth of preorders from them. I still have a small handful on order for things I am absolutely stoked for, but I pulled the cord on everything I was only very interested to fairly excited for. A bunch of Transformers, GI Joe, Power Rangers and Star Wars figures got axed. I am pretty certain going forward that I will be basically done with Hasbro by early 2023. If this is how they treat their customers I can take my money elsewhere.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 03:55 PM   #135
Napseeker
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcotron View Post
Another wrinkle to add. Let's take Kup for an example. They release a toy, looks ok, and an improvement on the previous mold. You go out and buy it for these exorbitant prices. Then, a couple of months later, they re-release the figure with certain things changed to make it objectively better. Removing the dirt paint that many dislike, or changing the colour scheme to fit the character better such as with Kup. What do you do?
With the distribution problems they have, you maybe see a figure once in stores, before it disappears.
You start to understand (not condone) the frequency of product swap and returns.

This is going to be almost a standard operating procedure for Hasbro going forward. I've seen them doing this with SW, Marvel Legends and GI Joe Classified too.

You get the first release, which is imperfect but because you're not sure if they'll ever make this character again in plastic form, you buy it. A year later or two, a repaint that offers some improvement e.g. photoreal face, a paintjob more accurate to the source material, more alternate heads or accessories, etc. And so they got you buying the same damn figure again. Kup, Cliffjumper, and Galvatron are all good examples of where you get burned for buying the first release.

Marvel Legends: Scarlet Witch (the new retro card is the ultimate version, but is a repaint of the Magneto 3-pack which I already bought).

GI Joe Stormshadow and Zartan: the basic line version is good, but today's "retro card" is even more accurate to the Sunbow cartoon, which burns those who bought/preordered the 1st release.

Snake-Eyes and Timber: today's announced version is far closer to the vintage figure look than the 2-pack that came out last year.

SW Cassian Andor, Jyn Erso: too bad for the suckers who bought the pre-photoreal versions, the new versions have astoundingly great photoreal face paint.

Just ask yourself when you see a Hasbro announcement whether the figure they are showing is the "ultimate" version in your mind or if they could simply do a better repaint in a year or two. This is why I didn't preorder the GI Joe Stalker, because I noticed right away his uniform is a muddy, dark green instead of the more correct bright-green camo. Hasbro has a new Walmart-exclusive retrocard line which are all repaints of existing molds but in more accurate sunbow/vintage colors. I am placing my bets that a better painted Stalker shows up in that line in 2023. Prices are now just too high to fall into this trap of buying a less-than-perfect figure now only to rebuy it again later.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:14 PM   #136
Marcotron
Robot Master

Legacy Blitzwing pre-order at EB Games is listed at 76.99, which is lower than the current leader class price of 84.99.
Is that because of the various things mentioned in this thread? Or did Hasbro realize their figure is pathetically small and not worth the full price of a leader? Or will it actually end up being 84.99+ at Toysrus, and EBgames is taking a loss on it?

Also of note, Legacy Titan Metroplex the Digger is listed at $299.00, which is just no, no. hell no. But then again, I wouldn't even pay $50 for that thing.
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:24 PM   #137
delrue
Crossover

Because 76.99 is what everyone is selling it for. TRU is overcharging.
delrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:55 PM   #138
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcotron View Post
Legacy Blitzwing pre-order at EB Games is listed at 76.99, which is lower than the current leader class price of 84.99.
Is that because of the various things mentioned in this thread? Or did Hasbro realize their figure is pathetically small and not worth the full price of a leader? Or will it actually end up being 84.99+ at Toysrus, and EBgames is taking a loss on it?

Also of note, Legacy Titan Metroplex the Digger is listed at $299.00, which is just no, no. hell no. But then again, I wouldn't even pay $50 for that thing.

And if you have the Edge discount, you pay about 70, which is basically last year's price. So you stave off a price increase for another year minimum, assuming Hasbro doesn't go and jack up prices again next year. Not optimistic on that front. Good lord.
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:36 AM   #139
Patate
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereDragon EX View Post
And if you have the Edge discount, you pay about 70, which is basically last year's price. So you stave off a price increase for another year minimum, assuming Hasbro doesn't go and jack up prices again next year. Not optimistic on that front. Good lord.
Someone here linked an article that said Hasbro planned to increase price once again this mid-year.
Patate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:23 AM   #140
Tiffster
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
Just found 1st wave Legacy deluxe @ the local WalMart last night
was on a shelf, but unticketed

When I was at the cash I honestly got a bit of sticker shock -> $35.97 each!!! buying 3 is over a hundy, jesus

and WM is the lower price! (compared to TRU I mean)
I Pre-ordered from Gamestop at least I got edge discount but I'm still waiting for them. Website says July!
Tiffster is offline   Reply With Quote