Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #31
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha
Re: Transformers the Movie 30th Anniversary blu ray released

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Well the BRRIP is much better color and clarity than the HDrip I have which was likely an upscaled DVD copy. So I'd say it's an improvement.
I misread that part as RIRRIB...
Old 09-14-2016, 03:49 PM   #32
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaingunsofdoom View Post
Watched it last night (widescreen BD). It looked and sounded great. Except for a short 5 seconds right when Hot Rod talks to Daniel about the fish biting. It was super blurry for that part.
Yah I found that odd too. Another not so perfectly clear part was in the beginning when just before Unicron attacked and the planet started to shake. Two bots were walking down the hall. Seemed overly blurry but not as bad as the Hot Rod scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
I misread that part as RIRRIB...
Well, they are both red in the movie so

MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #33
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

Waiting for mine From amazon

Could not find locally so got stiifed with $ 32 should have ordered there first would have at least save the gas

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #34
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Found some copies of the Blu-ray version at my local Costco for $19.79

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:50 PM   #35
blackspider
Generation 1

Costco (Still Creek location in Burnaby) has quite a few copies of the blu ray movie for 19.79.
blackspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:09 AM   #36
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

My steelbook pre-order is in limbo @ amazon.ca

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #37
tilallr1
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post
My steelbook pre-order is in limbo @ amazon.ca
Out of fear that Amazon.ca was never getting it, I cancelled my pre-order and ordered with HMV.ca last week, for the same cost, since they are giving shipping discounts. Got it this week and arrived in perfect condition. Beautiful steelbook. But that is where the compliments of this release end.

The blu-ray video presentation suffers from a bit of DNR manipulation and incorrect black-levels applied. A lot of the fine details of the original cells has been lost due to scrubbing of the print, probably to clean up the print, which I admit was dirty. The black levels were completely off adding unnecessary brightness during dark scenes which totally takes you out of the film. Especially during the space sequences. Luckily there is a workaround for this (Modifying the PC color space), but most people will not know this and be disappointed. I own the original UK Blu-ray release from Metrodome, and the image quality of the print, although dirty, is still superior. Colors are richer (Hot Rod is more Red than Pink), black levels are correct, and detail is untouched. NO DNR APPLIED.

The sound quality, although rated as HD audio with DTS-HD Master 2.0 & 5.1, sounded exactly the same on my setup as the Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 of the UK release. Was extremely suprised by how both presentations failed to use the lower bass range .1. Further, just like the DTS presentation of the UK release, the audio-sync is off (albeit subtly) on this new DTS-HD Master release from Sony. The Dolby Digital 5.1 presentation has no such issues on the UK release. Which is too bad, that they didn't extract a Dolby 5.1 TrueHD track as well. Since the sync is accurate.

At least the special features were fun to look at, providing a heck of alot more info about the movies production than previous releases.

My suggestion is to grab the original release from the UK or Australia if you can. Personally, I am disappointed with this release and I won't be watching it again. Taking my UK Metrodome blu-ray and putting it in the case till something better comes along. But I am starting to doubt that will ever happen.

Get this one:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Transf...-Blu-ray/2016/

or this one:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Transf...Blu-ray/12786/

Last edited by tilallr1; 09-23-2016 at 10:15 AM.
tilallr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #38
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Got mine from Amazon a couple of days ago and finally watched it last night. Started will all the special features first and have to say I really wish the full storyboards for the Battle of Autobot City were animated. I loved seeing the full story. I did notice a couple of spots that didn't seem to be redone but overall really glad I purchased it despite already having so many copies already lol
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #39
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 View Post
Out of fear that Amazon.ca was never getting it, I cancelled my pre-order and ordered with HMV.ca last week, for the same cost, since they are giving shipping discounts. Got it this week and arrived in perfect condition. Beautiful steelbook. But that is where the compliments of this release end.

The blu-ray video presentation suffers from a bit of DNR manipulation and incorrect black-levels applied. A lot of the fine details of the original cells has been lost due to scrubbing of the print, probably to clean up the print, which I admit was dirty. The black levels were completely off adding unnecessary brightness during dark scenes which totally takes you out of the film. Especially during the space sequences. Luckily there is a workaround for this (Modifying the PC color space), but most people will not know this and be disappointed. I own the original UK Blu-ray release from Metrodome, and the image quality of the print, although dirty, is still superior. Colors are richer (Hot Rod is more Red than Pink), black levels are correct, and detail is untouched. NO DNR APPLIED.

The sound quality, although rated as HD audio with DTS-HD Master 2.0 & 5.1, sounded exactly the same on my setup as the Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 of the UK release. Was extremely suprised by how both presentations failed to use the lower bass range .1. Further, just like the DTS presentation of the UK release, the audio-sync is off (albeit subtly) on this new DTS-HD Master release from Sony. The Dolby Digital 5.1 presentation has no such issues on the UK release. Which is too bad, that they didn't extract a Dolby 5.1 TrueHD track as well. Since the sync is accurate.

At least the special features were fun to look at, providing a heck of alot more info about the movies production than previous releases.

My suggestion is to grab the original release from the UK or Australia if you can. Personally, I am disappointed with this release and I won't be watching it again. Taking my UK Metrodome blu-ray and putting it in the case till something better comes along. But I am starting to doubt that will ever happen.
Thanks for your review! I have already have the UK Metrodome Blu-ray version from the group buy a few years back. Looks like I am not missing much except for the new special features.

I suspect when they were mastering this release they might have use the wrong color space (RGB at 0-255 instead of consumer devices video at 16-235). I supposed I can change the setting on the projector and may be the Blu-ray player too to work around the issues (color, black level, etc) but there is so much I can do if it is wrong to start with.

As for the sound I am not really that picky since it is a mid '80 movie. I will have to see and hear it myself if the lip sync is acceptable or not.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 09-23-2016 at 04:03 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 PM   #40
Grayfox
Crossover

My copy is also in Amazon limbo. What the f-- is up with that? How come Amazon doesn't have it available day 1?
Grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote