Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-18-2022, 11:28 AM   #91
Tiffster
Classic
Re: Is new pricing keeping you away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akroyer View Post
I know what that was like, every Christmas its what kind of toys do we get for our little guy. He likes his video games, but he can't get all games all the time. Masters of the Universe was quite reasonable. We're glad he doesnt seem to much care for Transformers. And Lego is one of his top priorities, which is also kind of pricey but more bang for the buck since he gets to build and then re-build his own creations afterwards.

So I'm quite glad to see MOU make a come back. And with Vehicles and the Castle all pretty decently priced. Only issue really was finding certain figures like every other line. I managed to grab a He-Man and Skeletor but didnt see them again. But with the prices as good as they are Im sure any parent with little boys were probably keeping an eye out.
Motu is my other collector line its pretty sweet but availability is plenty for some figures clogging shelves and others never seen (triclops, trapjaw).
Tiffster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:16 PM   #92
PrimeCron
Metroplex
PrimeCron's Ebay Auctions

I stopped buying Hasbro Transformers at retail stores yearsssss ago!!! And damn proud of it!!! Aint going to lie, the plastic addiction caught me a couple times but that is why we keep receipts, right?!?!?!

Feedback link...
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=27458
PrimeCron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 02:02 PM   #93
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffster View Post
Motu is my other collector line its pretty sweet but availability is plenty for some figures clogging shelves and others never seen (triclops, trapjaw).

I was very tempted to collect them myself, but I didnt. I had all these when I was a kid and none survived. And when I saw the Castle.. but I resisted

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 05:53 PM   #94
tusko
Classic

In answer to that question, yes I am cutting back.

Basically, all I ever really wanted was an updated G1 arc crew and we got that. I still like good toys but that leads to the second issue.

If the toy is made well and is high quality, I feel it'll justify the price. However these mushroom pegged figures, with clipped on wheels are feeling cheap.

I am basically now hoping for the Studio series to finish the Dinobots. Then I feel I'm done.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:56 PM   #95
RansakWORK
Beast Machine

Im sort of in the same boat as the person above.. my goal was the G1 Animated Series cast and we have gotten most of that before the price increase.. with each figure i buy thats one closer to being complete. I have no interest in buying 34 optimus primes or 27 bumblebee's. Hasbro is really overdoing the repaints... sure make a mold, make a few figures, shelf it and bring it back in a year with some new schemes etc... doing like 20 seekers in a row kills the "gotta catch em all" vibe.

Last edited by RansakWORK; 04-18-2022 at 06:00 PM.
RansakWORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:46 PM   #96
prime
Generation 2

I generally had a policy of only buying TF when on sale. I would save up for my wishlist, and when the TRU sales came around I'd splurge. The anticipation heightened the satisfaction.

Now, sales are few and far between, and often restricted to a certain line. And with the price increases, the "sales" don't even feel like sales anymore.

I have Studio Grim & Slag, and was debating what I'd do for other 3, but if these prices are any indication, that decision might already be made.
prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:29 PM   #97
UsernamePrime
G.I. Joe is better.

tldr: Yes.

My collection was pretty big but I cut it back to about 60% and sold the rest. Now I just buy on-screen sunbow not-niche characters with no intent on replacing characters I already have with new versions. Sludge, Swoop, and Insecticons are the exceptions to that, maybe Seaspray as well? Beyond that I'm missing 10ish characters and about 6 tape characters. Once done I will retire TF for good. Bought a new computer with new everything to go with it using $$ from selling the old TFs.

I cut back the Star Wars Black collection to about 10% of what I had in 2021. It's a retired collection of 15 figures with a Lucas Trooper landing my way eventually as the cherry on top. My mood towards Star Wars soured over the past two years. Glad to have just a small one shelf Empire collection with a couple KOTOR characters in the mix.

I started and completed my Marvel Legends Symbiote collection using funds from the sold Star Wars figures. I will keep this as an ongoing collection as symbiote figure releases are rare. Fun collection that I was glad to get and glad that it wont be growing quickly at all.

Last is my GI Joe Classified collection. Decided recently that I only really care about Cobra and also decided to cut back on army builders. So army builders and Joe faction up for sale soon enough.. less Snake Eyes and Timber and Arctic Storm Shadow as they are great no matter what side they are on.

If not for prices, and to some extent scarcity, then I would most likely not be looking at retiring collections. With that said, I am kinda looking forward to ending the TF collecting tbh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220418_230244.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	51577   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220418_225953.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	51578  

Last edited by UsernamePrime; 04-18-2022 at 11:37 PM.
UsernamePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:41 AM   #98
Darkroar
Generation 2
Darkroar's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernamePrime View Post
tldr: Yes.
My collection was pretty big but I cut it back to about 60% and sold the rest.
If not for prices, and to some extent scarcity, then I would most likely not be looking at retiring collections. With that said, I am kinda looking forward to ending the TF collecting tbh.
I agree with a lot of what you said and think I feel the same way about most of it. I'm planning a few Beast Wars figures this year (Tarantulas and Inferno to swap out old figures), but ultimately I think my TF collecting days are over. I may still buy the odd figure here and there, but that will be about it.

At one point I was buying pretty much everything TFs and now I've gone back to just characters I really like and generally not multiple incarnations. This has meant mostly G1 Decepticons and Beast Wars TV characters.

I look at what I have on display and I'm content with it and don't feel I need more. I've been selling for a while on and off, but need to speed up on that some. A part of me really likes the idea of this retiring/completing/coming to an end.

I was mainly a TF collector, but I have also got into Super7's Ultimates Thundercats. Super 7 Ultimates are overpriced for what they are, but I have enjoyed them and I think I'll keep going on that at least for now. One good thing is at least they don't continuously revamp the same character over and over (currently). Any time they do I will pass (like the red Mirror LionO they showed in an upcoming wave).

I also bought the Super 7 Ultimate TMNT turtles - just the 4 turtle characters. I really like them, but I think I will restrain myself from diving any farther into that line (unless they make Android Krang body).

BTW - nice PC. I'll need to get a new PC some day this year or next year too.

Last edited by Darkroar; 04-19-2022 at 10:43 AM.
Darkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:38 AM   #99
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

I think I'm replacing my TF habit with a Gunpla habit.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:37 PM   #100
Napseeker
Generation 2

And.... more price increases...

https://torontosun.com/business/mone...00m-russia-hit

Hasbro plans to further hike prices of toys, warns of $100M Russia hit
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote