Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-16-2020, 09:50 PM   #41
ngnaw
Armada
Re: Boardie Question - At what point are you a scalper?

So to my understanding of the above replies to my fake example, the point where one is a scalper is basically this

(You cleaned out the shelves for anybody else in the area for the express purpose of selling at a premium.) and there's no difference if the item was shelf warming for 6 months and then a sale hits and people get pissed because they are not able to get THE DEAL (I say deal and not item because they had the chance for 6 months). There is no difference (as in the OPs first post) if the Pit of Judgement is new and exclusive and 1 person buys it all and then marks it up? Am I missing something? I personally feel there is a difference between both examples but again i'm only asking you guys to lay it out there for my understanding. (I in no way since collecting transformers do this method of buying for those who haven't read the whole thread.)
Old 10-16-2020, 10:13 PM   #42
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
Even retailers are getting sick of scalpers too. At Toysrus today, in the Transformers and Marvel Legends sections, TRU put up signs saying "All collectors items are limited to one per customer ". Even they know scalpers when they see one. I'm happy to see large retailers supporting fair business.
Shit, I saw that at Langley TRU the other day on the big ass Age of Apocalypse, uh, Apocalypse marvel legends.

Anyway, I don't have anything else to contribute to the thread. Nor do I feel like arguing with people being deliberately obtuse.

Moral of the story: don't be a greedy bastard, don't get called a greedy bastard.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:26 PM   #43
Ransak The Elder
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnaw View Post
So to my understanding of the above replies to my fake example, the point where one is a scalper is basically this

(You cleaned out the shelves for anybody else in the area for the express purpose of selling at a premium.) and there's no difference if the item was shelf warming for 6 months and then a sale hits and people get pissed because they are not able to get THE DEAL (I say deal and not item because they had the chance for 6 months). There is no difference (as in the OPs first post) if the Pit of Judgement is new and exclusive and 1 person buys it all and then marks it up? Am I missing something? I personally feel there is a difference between both examples but again i'm only asking you guys to lay it out there for my understanding. (I in no way since collecting transformers do this method of buying for those who haven't read the whole thread.)

I think the big defining factor here is limiting the supply or out right cutting it off. Figuring out TRU's delivery schedule is easy and you could cut off supply in retail or with minimal experience in python and html can do this online. Amateur bots are becoming a big problem because its pretty easy to do.

Cutting off supply to normal customers is the issue.
Ransak The Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:38 PM   #44
ngnaw
Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransak The Elder View Post
I think the big defining factor here is limiting the supply or out right cutting it off. Figuring out TRU's delivery schedule is easy and you could cut off supply in retail or with minimal experience in python and html can do this online. Amateur bots are becoming a big problem because its pretty easy to do.

Cutting off supply to normal customers is the issue.
Yes I see this as an issue. Cutting off the supply on purpose for a brand new item I see as an issue. Cutting off supply when an item goes on sale 6 months down im not so sure is an issue for me personally. Does that make any sense? That's what i'm interested in other's opinion on that. Cause if someone just buys an extra figure and wants to sell it marked up to whoever, then they shouldn't be called a scalper since they are not cutting off supply, are not over buying or clearing out a store. But I see many board members say oh the price is inflated they're a scalper...

Last edited by ngnaw; 10-16-2020 at 10:48 PM.
ngnaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:46 PM   #45
Ransak The Elder
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnaw View Post
Yes I see this as an issue. Cutting off the supply on purpose for a brand new item I see as an issue. Cutting off supply when an item goes on sale 6 months down im not so sure is an issue for me personally. Does that make any sense? That's what i'm interested in other's opinion on that.

Mom and Pop convenience stores do this at Costco. I think people were concerned some people were buying all the sales figures to resell later... They were peg warmers. The demand wasnt there and would be a poor investment strategy for a scalper. The day before the sale these were all available at retail price.

Last edited by Ransak The Elder; 10-16-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Ransak The Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:49 PM   #46
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwaves View Post
There is a lot of hate and vitriol directed at "Scalpers".

Is this just something we all do given the opportunity but have a hard time justifying when it's on the other foot?

The dictionary definition is not really what Im trying to discuss, more the semantics in regards to this hobby or collecting in general.
Never in my life have I or will I scalp. I sell at or well below cost for older figures. It is used, old, and someone else wants to give it a good home. Taking people for a ride for greed is disgusting and exactly what is wrong with our society..

Last edited by GotBot; 10-17-2020 at 07:14 AM.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #47
UsernamePrime
G.I. Joe is better.

Personally I'm tired of the same handful of people bumping their shitty sales thread every few days
UsernamePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #48
DuG
Titanium

I agree that buying up a bunch of items and then selling them at inflated prices is considered scalping but I don’t care because as others have stated if you don’t like the price you don’t have to pay it.

As the purchaser you have options such as passing on the item, offering to buy it at a lower price and negotiating, looking for it cheaper elsewhere, or waiting and keeping an eye out for it to be sold in the future at a price you are comfortable paying.

Who knows maybe after waiting a period of time you realize you don’t need it in your life to make you happy or find out that there are terrible QC issues with the figure or a newer better version is released.

This thread is full of people complaining about the issue while no one has offered up any suggestions to help battle the issue other than not paying the price scalpers are trying to selling the items at.

Here is a suggestion for some of you, create relationships on this platform with other fellow board members that live in other parts of your province, state, country, or world and work with each other to help find the items that you or they can’t find in your respective areas and mail them to each other or hold on to them until you see each other in person.

For example over the years I have read peoples wanted lists on here and realized I could pick up some of the items they were looking for as they were still on the shelves in my area while they were sold out in that persons area. I reached out and offered to pick up and ship the item to the person or drop it off when I saw them at a con (I’m really starting to miss those). I do this for my nephew all the time and have also done it multiple times for other collectors.

I recently did this when I was on a road trip and found plenty of a hard to find item so I sent out a message on a Discord server that I am on (Transmissions) and ended up picking up a bunch of stuff for my nephew and other collectors and only charged them the retail price plus actual shipping that was rounded to the nearest dollar.

Make relationships with fellow collectors and look out for each other. Try to come up with solutions to problems in the fandom. If there is a preorder coming up and it is a limited item, order an extra one and sell it to another collector at cost that you have such a relationship with or post it for sale at cost, I have seen that done on these boards with the Pit of Judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Are you deliberately ignoring the piece where you CLEANED OUT A STORE, and are now selling these for a profit after removing all supplies from the playing field?

Your $45 isn't relevant. Your clearing a bunch of shit out, screwing others out of fairly obtaining some sale items, and then marking them up to sell is.
Just a hypothetical question to end this post.

Am I in the wrong if I were to clear out a store of an item on sale only to donate them all to a local toy drive as it is screwing others out of fairly obtaining some sale items?
DuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #49
big dawg
Energon

You know who really sucks in relation to all this? CMDstore- amirite?
big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #50
ngnaw
Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuG View Post
Just a hypothetical question to end this post.

Am I in the wrong if I were to clear out a store of an item on sale only to donate them all to a local toy drive as it is screwing others out of fairly obtaining some sale items?
In my view NO. RNSRobot would probably say suck balls cause you screwed him out of a DEAL... Reading his replies I feel he gets mad cause he doesn't get the DEAL instead of the item that was peg warming for 6 months and was on sale numerous times throughout but oh he gets mad cause a 70% sale hits and he cant find anything. WHich is why I feel there is a difference with the Original Posters question about the Pit of Judgment. THe Pit isn't released at retail and was bought out by someone apparently even though it stated 1 per customer. So I don't know how he got more than 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dawg View Post
You know who really sucks in relation to all this? CMDstore- amirite?
He's just a store that marks up his items. I don't think he purposely goes around trying to cut supplies?

Last edited by ngnaw; 10-17-2020 at 12:54 PM.
ngnaw is online now   Reply With Quote