Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-22-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
Skullgrin
Generation 1
Just thought of a neat repro idea.

Okay, I don't know how this board treats discussion about stuff like this.

Nonetheless. I got to thinking about ROTF Lockdowns rubbery Hook and hand.

I know some people casted a stronger hand and hook but I just thought of something.

Wouldn't it be a great idea to get someone to just repro the forearm and maybe recast the claw and hand out of a more durable plastic than the types Hasbro normally uses.

Since the hand is so thin I really feel it should be made from a much stronger plastic than normal.

By making a fully assembled forearm you can make new arms with alternate accesories that can be switched at the balljoint. Instead of someone having to unpin their lockdown and put in something like a custom made chainsaw. You can just switch forearms that have different weapons pinned into them. That are all made out of a stronger more durable plastic. So it won't crack by being a thin piece out of a hard plastic and won't be a soft flexible rubber.

I worry about rubber parts because I keep thinking they dry out over time. Heck maybe a better sword could be Casted for Rotf Bludgeon thats durable yet still possible for his hand to hold and to be sheathed in his turret.

Also, someone could design a Chainsaw for Lockdown to replace the hook arm. It would be a neat way to give him the feature of multiple accesories.

Axor's axe can be recasted with the forearm in Lockdown colors as well.

Heck it's very lucrative because the hook arm and a chainsaw arm could be casted in Axor's colors as well.

Anyways guys what do you think?

Edit: I just realized something wicked sick about Axor. Since, Lockdown cannabalizes parts from other TF's. I guess maybe the easy to pop out balljoint at the elbow of his arms is a blessing. The fact that the arm will be in a different color even makes it look more like he's using the arm of a victim. That neat cross compatibility between him an Axor is somewhat neat. Even if it dosen't solve the problem of rubbery weapons.

Last edited by Skullgrin; 08-22-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Skullgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus
Re: Just thought of a neat repro idea.

Well, I believe Darkov from tfw2005 has been requested to make a "hard plastic" lockdown arm and drift and bludgeon swords. I don't think he's actually said "yes" yet. But he hasn't said no either.

However, the issue is, most casting and reproing done by individual members (like Darkov) is resin casting. Resin, while "harder" than the soft plastic habsro uses for swords and such, is much more brittle, and snaps fairly easily in my experience.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

Not a bad idea at all. I wasn't very impressed with ROTF Lockdown's arms at all; either or them. Mine literallys falls apart if you stare at it wrong. Too many bumbly balljoints and loose rubbery plastic.

Course, while on the subject of better parts-forming, I'd like to see someone come up with some better arms for ROTF Megatron. My customizing skills suck, so I'm not going to try cannibalizing a Movie-1 figure or chainsawing out a balljoint for his murder arm. Having an easy fix for figures that just miss the mark would be swell.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Skullgrin
Generation 1

I didn't know that they used resin plastic. I always thought that most repros were done with the same quality of plastic that the toys are made from.

Either way, I think the entire arm done as an assembled piece is much better. A forearm that can be snapped off at the ball joint and replaced with another arm would be pretty neat.
Skullgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullgrin View Post
I didn't know that they used resin plastic. I always thought that most repros were done with the same quality of plastic that the toys are made from.
The individuals that do reproing that I know of (Darkov and Bellboy of tfw2005) both use plastic resin. I only warn about the brittleness because the plastic doesn't "give" anywhere near as much as you'd expect. It can be quite traumatizing to be bending a piece and suddenly have it snap. That said if it's on display, they look fine.

Here is a link to Darkov's repro thread. It's the most extensive part list I've seen so far, and people still post suggestions ofor more on a regular basis.
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radico...pro-parts.html

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!

Last edited by Bruticus82; 08-22-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote