Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 08-13-2010, 06:20 AM   #321
Nemesis Predaking
Wears Sunglasses at Night
Re: Customizing Q&A Thread

If you got a Dremel, get a diamond cutting disc.
It's on the expensive side (about $20) but it will give you a very clean & thin cut line.

You know you're an old nerd when you feel the effects of inflation on action figures.
Youtube Twitter
Nemesis Predaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #322
Skullgrin
Generation 1

Since, enamel paints can't be used to paint rubber plastic.

Are there paints that bond better than acrylic's to rubber plastics without causing rubber plastic to get gummy?
Skullgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 AM   #323
Blurrz
Fast Everything

Any advice on taking out pins?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #324
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurrz View Post
Any advice on taking out pins?
Typically they only go "in" one way, and they have a textured end which "locks" them in place. So you can only bang the pins in one direction to remove them, the other direction will just tighten it more.

I say typically because some pins can go in/out either way.

You just have to find the right side, get something "flat" to hit the pin with (like a nail with the tip cut off, or...something else flat) get a small hammer. Then you'll need to put the pieces over something so that you have the pin hole lifted above the ground, but the pieces are still supported by something. A piece of wood with a hole in it works well, because the wood supports the parts, while the hole allows the pin somewhere to go without hammering it into the wood.

Line up the hole, pieces with pin, pin removing device (nail?) and hammer, and strike, light taps...a few taps should loosen it up, once it slides partway out, you can either keep tapping, or typically you can pull it out, either with your fingers, or some tools. Don't bend the pin, or you won't be able to get it back in.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #325
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Hey guys, I've got an idea I want to try. Drift as Dinobot. I think it could work. I was even considering tracking down a junker Armada Hoist or Universe Dinobot just to use the head, but after looking at Drifts head and looking at Dinobots head, I realized that they are just similar enough that it would work with the right paint apps. However I have 2 issues:

1 is the swords. I was thinking of painting the smaller swords and then stick pegs onto his wheels for them to attach to mimic his spinning blade shield weapon thing. But I don't know if paint would stick to that kind of rubbery plastic. Has anyone ever tried? Does it crack and flack the second you bend it? And what about his long sword? Should I try cutting it to give it a more serrated look like Dinobots original sword? Or just leave it alone?

And 2, what about his alt mode? I want to pay homage to his raptor color scheme without him looking like a pimp-mobile, but at the same time I want him to looking "realistic". You don't see that many brown cars. Especially sporty racer cars like that.

So any tips, hints, thoughts, ideas, help, etc?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #326
Dustinticon
Generation 1

K i wanted to make a custom TFA Spittor head, i have never done a custom or repaint before, so i found some modelling clay around the house and stared making it, i finished it and wanted to harden it, looked it up and apparently you cant harden modelling clay, I don't want to make another one with different stuff. Is there a way i can harden it or make it some what durable? It's just regular blue modelling clay.
Dustinticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #327
Dustinticon
Generation 1

Can someone please help me with this one?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #328
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinticon View Post
K i wanted to make a custom TFA Spittor head, i have never done a custom or repaint before, so i found some modelling clay around the house and stared making it, i finished it and wanted to harden it, looked it up and apparently you cant harden modelling clay, I don't want to make another one with different stuff. Is there a way i can harden it or make it some what durable? It's just regular blue modelling clay.
I don't know of any way to harden it unfortunately.

I did have some crazy idea about you making a casting of it, and then making a copy out of something more durable using the casting, but I don't think you can cast clay because it reacts with the silicone..something about sulfur? You have to get sulfur free clay? I'm not sure I remember, because I don't actually do this stuff myself.

Getting into casting would be moderately expensive since the silicone casting materials are not cheap, and you'd need to learn how to do it, so it might take some trial and error. This is why I say it's a crazy idea, it's probably beyond what you can do at this point. Heck, it's beyond what I can do.

If you do want to sculpt with something you can harden in the future, try Sculpey, fimo, or similar products from Michaels, you can bake them in your oven. Although most customizers use more industrial products, like milliput, or some two part epoxy like might putty. Not easy to work with because it hardens quickly, but you can cut/grind/file it into the shape you want.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!

Last edited by Bruticus82; 09-09-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #329
chans formers
raff ow roud

^if you're brave,try "casting" it.^
that would be the only thing i can think of to make it more permanent.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #330
Dustinticon
Generation 1

Yea same, well that sucks i guess i'll try clear coating it but that probably wont work, so i guess i'll just go buy some stuff that i can actually harden :P