Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
RageD
Energon
Re: New to the boards, and diving back into collecting

I'm pretty sure my first TF was Gen 1 Metroplex, but I remember trypticon and Kup as well.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic

I surprised at all the fuzzy memories. I can remember my first Transformer as clear as day, and that was 26 years ago.

I had wanted Transformers but knew I'd want to collect them all (as shelves of MOTU would testify), so I held off. I just didn't have that kind of money. But I caved anyway.

I went to BEST (extinct store in the states, known for its half-display/half catalogue-and-conveyor belt schtick. They had a terrific stock of Transformers in their toy department. I picked out Bonecrusher, knowing full well the other five Constructicons would shortly follow, as soon as I could afford them.

I remember opening it in the backseat of the car and being delighted at the simple elegance. Even my mother approved. She was somewhat disdainful of MOTU. When I got my first one of those (Man-at-Arms) and told her it was an "action figure", she asked what kind of action it made as she attempted to twist his legs behind his neck in some sort of demonic yoga. But she could clearly see what Transformers did.

Welcome. May your wallet and you reconcile. I just replace mine whenever it gives me guff.
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Ahhh...I remember it well. It was 1984, I was 11, Van Halen kept suggesting that I might as well "Jump!" and my first TF was 'The Man' ('The Robot'?) himself, Optimus Prime. Though I didn't know it at the time, he was among the first issued toys that were culled from leftover Takara stock: he had bloated fists and ion rifle, Roller was grey and there metal plates on the floor of the trailer.

13 years later I graduated from University and gave away all my toys to the church and set my sights on travelling the world. 10 years after that boneheaded decision my wife and son bought me Classics Jetfire as my first Father's Day gift and now hundreds (perhaps thousands) of dollars later I've re-collected my G1 collection in either re-issue, Classics or Masterpiece form.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #14
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagagalvatron View Post
I surprised at all the fuzzy memories. I can remember my first Transformer as clear as day, and that was 26 years ago.

I had wanted Transformers but knew I'd want to collect them all (as shelves of MOTU would testify), so I held off. I just didn't have that kind of money. But I caved anyway.

I went to BEST (extinct store in the states, known for its half-display/half catalogue-and-conveyor belt schtick. They had a terrific stock of Transformers in their toy department. I picked out Bonecrusher, knowing full well the other five Constructicons would shortly follow, as soon as I could afford them.

I remember opening it in the backseat of the car and being delighted at the simple elegance.
Even my mother approved. She was somewhat disdainful of MOTU. When I got my first one of those (Man-at-Arms) and told her it was an "action figure", she asked what kind of action it made as she attempted to twist his legs behind his neck in some sort of demonic yoga. But she could clearly see what Transformers did.

Welcome. May your wallet and you reconcile. I just replace mine whenever it gives me guff.
...backseat unboxing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
nukedproducts
Captain Vaudeville

my first would have to be armada bendy prime. i loved it.
nukedproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
Nullray
IGC

Welcome

Collecting is such a great past time and never seems to end. New things are always coming up from all different genres as well as add ons to make great characters even greater. Happy hunting.
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #17
Nijukyu
Target-master
Nijukyu's Ebay Auctions

Glad to hear all of your answers! I've always been fairly alone in my TF (all things mecha really) love and it's nice to actually get to talk to people whom also collect figures from the casual to the hardcore. To find out where to buy and not buy, what people are doing be it fixes for qc issues or how they've set up their displays.

Never seems to end is right! There is so much going on in the 3rd party world right now I don't even know what to do. There's a company making MP sized Soundwave and Blaster (potential 2012 release.) There's PE's aRCee, a Not-devy that can duke it out with FP Bruticus, or one that can tower over MP Grimlock. Excited that Seaspray is getting more love and looking at I-gear's Medical Warrior(Ratchet!) with anticipation. The designs of all these figures is at a level I've never seen in 3rd party support before.

Now if only the prices could drop ever so slightly
Nijukyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #18
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

My first was the Powermaster Optimus Prime. And welcome to the boards!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #19
purple-bot
Yeah, I made that.

g2 swindle, and turbomaster flash, same birthday, then g2 deluge shortly after
Old 10-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #20
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

G1 Prowl was my first tf, my wallet got replaced, it fell apart before the divorce, so i got a tougher one, this one seems to be handling the stress a little better

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote