Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #1331
Protoman
The Legend
Re: The Montreal/Quebec Local Fans Banter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhai View Post
Hey, and even franco-ontarian culture is vastly different from both franco-quebecois and anglo cultures. My best friend who is from a french family from Ottawa grew up with Club Dorothée, Bioman, Ranma 1/2 and Les Chevaliers du Zodiaques, all quite unknown elsewhere in Canada.
Well exactly, 99% of franco 80s culture was ported france dubbed anime. It's why we are seeing boxsets of Albator and Goldarak now in Walmart, that's the market.

Time and time again conventions have tried to start up here and comic/toy stores also but there is no major market, people just don't have the heart to pay money for this stuff (Yes yes YOU might but it takes more then a handful of fans).

A lot of you don't go to Ontario shows, if you did you would see how apples and oranges it really is. (and I ain't talking TFcon, but even simple trade shows in the same vein as Montreal Toycon)
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #1332
Kristal
Machine War

I grew up on Ile Perrot/Pincourt and the kids were usually english so everybody was into Digimon,Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. It was only until moved more to the west of Vaudreuil into the boonies that I realized everybody's boring as hell (FOOTBAWL!!!!)

While I do like that the "nerd culture" as exploded into the mainstream (whoo I can talk about pokemon strategies without looking stupid!) It sometimes makes me frustrated about some people who just don't know people's personal bubbles at cons or 'nerdy' stores.
Sure im a girl who enjoys Mega Man, Transforming robots, some animes and (kinda getting into) Metal Gear but you don't need to get touchy-feely or creeping on to me or other girls we enjoy the same thing, I just makes me cringe.
Kristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #1333
Abraxys
With full honors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
A lot of you don't go to Ontario shows, if you did you would see how apples and oranges it really is. (and I ain't talking TFcon, but even simple trade shows in the same vein as Montreal Toycon)
It really is apple's and orange's, the Ontario shows are just sooo massive. It really doesnt compare. I guess french tv is the culprit for english pop culture not selling very well here. (Not that its bad or anything) Even then, why dont we selling french pop stuff then? Do they have figures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristal View Post
It sometimes makes me frustrated about some people who just don't know people's personal bubbles at cons or 'nerdy' stores.
Sure im a girl who enjoys Mega Man, Transforming robots, some animes and (kinda getting into) Metal Gear but you don't need to get touchy-feely or creeping on to me or other girls we enjoy the same thing, I just makes me cringe.
At TFCON last year I almost beat someone because they kept leaning over my girlfriend making weird sounds. I feel bad for them cause they dont know how to control their emotional urges, but thats not the way its done. Also, a little common sense would be nice, getting touchy-feely by strangers isnt exactly appealing Some people just need to get full-time jobs and exposure to the outside. That'll sober them up.

Last edited by Abraxys; 06-09-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Abraxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #1334
dabra_dmp
Machine War

Hmmm I think protoman is right. I actually became a fan of transformers because of the bay movies.....I grew up with French tv show. Before the bay movie I was more into anime and d&d stuff.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #1335
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabra_dmp View Post
Hmmm I think protoman is right. I actually became a fan of transformers because of the bay movies.....I grew up with French tv show. Before the bay movie I was more into anime and d&d stuff.
French culture in Quebec is strong with anime/manga. I remember in the early 90s, the only way to get manga was via Glenat (a french manga publication port company) before Viz and company came onto the scene and brought us our manga in English.

I will give the french, they are light years ahead of us when it comes to manga ports. It is always uncensored, uncut and as close to the original as possible, unlike us that are STILL waiting for a perfect Dragonball manga port (always something is missing) or always months behind on most other new manga releases (if we get them at all)

But that said, that's their nerd culture and another sad truth, anime cons are the WORST for dealers.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman

Last edited by Protoman; 06-09-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #1336
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

I grew up with Bioman, Maskman, Voltes V, Daimos etc speaking either english or Filipino until of course the Marcoss dictatorship's hate came along and put a stop to it. All that before 1986.

ANYWAY.... Third party Mastermind Creations humble beginnings.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radico...hos-prime.html

I have been for the longest time trying to find that thread. I knew I smelled kitbash when I got that toy. Personally, finding that thread again is quite humbling.

Last edited by Buhawi; 06-09-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Buhawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #1337
dabra_dmp
Machine War

In case some if you didn't see th sighting there's 2 mmpr legacy morpher at TRU angrignion !!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #1338
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristal View Post
I grew up on Ile Perrot/Pincourt and the kids were usually english so everybody was into Digimon,Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. It was only until moved more to the west of Vaudreuil into the boonies that I realized everybody's boring as hell (FOOTBAWL!!!!)

While I do like that the "nerd culture" as exploded into the mainstream (whoo I can talk about pokemon strategies without looking stupid!) It sometimes makes me frustrated about some people who just don't know people's personal bubbles at cons or 'nerdy' stores.
That's quite disgusting. I've warned the wife about this before.

I didn't understand the whole magic about that game when it first came out. I think I was already in Vanier college when it did. It was too kiddie for me until of course the wife introduced me to it. The next thing you know I was bought into the whole gotta catch em' all thing and bought the same game three times over.

I also remember the whole magic the gathering card games. Some of the guys at card places smell like stale crackers.

Last edited by Buhawi; 06-09-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Buhawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #1339
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabra_dmp View Post
In case some if you didn't see th sighting there's 2 mmpr legacy morpher at TRU angrignion !!!!!!!!
Shit, I still need one, but I can't head out today.
I'll just hope that no one has gotten them in the past ~1h and I'll drop by when it opens at 9:30am tomorrow.

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #1340
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Speaking of anime, the wife and I just subscribed to the crunchyroll's anime streaming service. 7$ a month. It's actually good.