Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Canadian Transformers News

Old 01-25-2019, 12:20 AM   #61
steamwhistle
Crossover
Re: Walmart Exclusive Generation 1 Optimus Prime Vintage Reissue Out in Canada

It was fun to collect hockey cards way back when.
Every card was printed equally, and it truly was a hobby and social pastime to trade with other people.
Got 'im - Got 'im - Got 'im - Need 'im - Got 'im.
Suddenly, perhaps not-so-coincidentally, salaries were made public, Eric Lindros became a big deal, and card companies began finding ways to generate more sales: Short-print some cards. (Looking at you, Upper Deck). Cards with a piece of a supposed game-worn jersey embedded inside. The psychology of business and profit killed the fun. The average person would never complete a full set of cards, with the extra special cards included.

Companies generally only care about a consumer as far as image goes as it balance with their profit margins.

Why short-issue the G1 reissue of Outback? Is he that much less-popular than Swerve or Tailgate?
Or why not have all figures available and affordable? (Just as 79transam noted about '80s marketing)
Why have Super-Rare cards in the Transformers Card Game?
Why have Blind Packs for various toys/figures?
Why do they need to issue a new line of Transformers every 8 months?

Maybe I'm a bitter and cynical G1er, but the business has taken the fun out of a lot of aspects to these toys (and other collectibles).

The G1er in me also says: Where are the corresponding cartoons or TV shows? Nemesis Prime? What? Sounds cool. Looks cool. I'll buy it. No idea about from where he came, though.

I ramble...
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:49 AM   #62
DesertDog
Beast Machine

I sincerely hope many scalpers buy these up and end up stuck with them.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:51 AM   #63
79transam
Machine War

Yeah I'm hearing that.
Earlier I got flack for not sustaining Hastak's business model, but since the very 1st Optimus Prime and about half the Transformers, I would guess I've put an easy 10 or 15 grand into their company. Between all of what I had growing up and now, it's been a lot.
If anything, THEY OWE ME. And I don't mean freebies. I mean to be respected as a long time fan and customer.
Unlike sheep in a pen who let their herders shear them over and over till they're just dogfood, I have the self respect enough to know when they're being blood sucking vampires.
They know darn well kids don't buy Transformers anymore in a significantly mentionable way.
So I guess in a sense I am happy they also market KOs but it shouldn't even have to be like that. It's just so shady
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #64
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I sincerely hope many scalpers buy these up and end up stuck with them.
Funny enough, I was thinking along the same lines. That price is like a scalper deterrent -- nobody's going to hoard these G1 reissues thinking they can flip them for profit. The only people who will pay $70 for an incomplete Optimus Prime are the ones who really, really want it.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #65
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyken View Post
Funny enough, I was thinking along the same lines. That price is like a scalper deterrent -- nobody's going to hoard these G1 reissues thinking they can flip them for profit. The only people who will pay $70 for an incomplete Optimus Prime are the ones who really, really want it.
** LET ME FIRST SAY I DON'T BELIEVE SCALPERS ARE GOING ANYWHERE, SO PLEASE KEEP THAT IN MIND WHEN READING MY POST **

Honestly I think that is about the only "good" thing about all the price increases in the past few years.

Scalpers are slowly but surely being priced out of the market. Between the ease of access with online shopping (remember it wasn't that long ago that brick & mortar was pretty much the only reliable source for product) and ever increasing prices, I can't see how it is worth it anymore. That is for the "professional" scalpers who seem to try and make a living scalping.

Of course exclusives, and short packed items will still drive demand and price. However it seems, to me at least, that it is not the plague it was a few years ago.

Just don't get me started on fraudsters (repacking a different figure and returning it to the store).
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #66
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post
Why do they need to issue a new line of Transformers every 8 months?
Ok that one I can answer since that actually helps us. Walmart does not have the time nor care to know which TF comes in what wave and what's new and what's notif its not obvious to them. So for lines like Combienr Wars, they just see a line that lasts for a year and a half and if they have too much on the shelf in one year's time, they may not order the later waves since to them, its all combiner wars and they already have enough (even though the later waves might have new toys).

But when you make it a new line, that tells Walmart that the toys they are putting on the shelves are indeed new and thus hotter and thus sell (their mentality).

So thats why hasbro makes shorter lines, to ensure that the stock is ordered and put on shelves and not disregarded. Its thei way to help solve distribution problems.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:20 PM   #67
freshmeat666
Generation 1
Re: Walmart Exclusive G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Sighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonestar View Post
I am so glad I have the original with trailer so skipping this is all too easy.
Yeah, I got the last reissue that came out, with trailor and little voice box thing "AUTOBOTS ROLLOUT"! it was 90$, got it on sale for 70.. This current trend in pricing is outrageous. I can't justify paying nearly 30 for a voyager class figure. I want the Siege Shockwave, but am terrified to know the price.
freshmeat666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:14 AM   #68
riderman
Beast Machine
Re: Walmart Exclusive G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Sighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmeat666 View Post
Yeah, I got the last reissue that came out, with trailor and little voice box thing "AUTOBOTS ROLLOUT"! it was 90$, got it on sale for 70.. This current trend in pricing is outrageous. I can't justify paying nearly 30 for a voyager class figure. I want the Siege Shockwave, but am terrified to know the price.
I think I got mine on special back in the day. I think it came with a comic and cost me about $59.99 or was it $39.99
riderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #69
Mike
Robot Master
Mike's Ebay Auctions

Saw this the other day, I wouldn't even want it if someone gave it to me, I really hope they do another release with the trailer
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #70
FreakNasty
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Saw this the other day, I wouldn't even want it if someone gave it to me, I really hope they do another release with the trailer
Imagine the price WITH the trailer....lol
FreakNasty is offline   Reply With Quote