Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #21
Pascal
Banned
Re: Arcade Machines, anyone collect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaetznes View Post
Not what I was thinking about arcades. However, looking at it. Does it take some type of controller port at the bottom? or are those presure buttons on the left and right side of the molded Coleco?
Just buttons (left + bottom + right), no controller needed.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #22
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Do you ever plan on de-converting either cabinet? I might add that i'm looking for a TMNT and TiT pcb. I figure if you had those, they'd be in the TiT cab already lol.
I'd actually like to get an original SF2CE cabinet for my SF2CE board, i've been looking for the last couple of years.

I'd love to covert the turtle in time cab back unfortunately the board is fairly rare/expensive.

As for the Super pac-man board i've considering restoring it and putting a 60 in 1 board inside (that would include super pac-man).

Twin eagle I might attempt to put into a bartop.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #23
CanBot
Cybertron

I won't even read this whole thread right now, because I just have to say I LOVE ARCADE MACHINES....all retro gaming, really.

I almost bought an Asteroids a year ago, but I was a bit OCD on the condition (it wasn't an original cabinet, but the seller wanted original dollars).

RIght now I'm working on building a MAME machine for my X-Arcade dual stick. I've picked up a NOS Wico four way joystick for games like Pac Man and the like, just because I'm a stickler for recreating the experience of gaming...the X-Arcade is pretty cool, but micro switches will never give me that leaf-switch button and stick feeling from the 80s. It's good enough for now, though.

My biggest obstacle with MAME (and home arcade machines) is that generally, the games require QUARTERS...lol, and as a kid, we all know what that was like (unless you were a rich kid, which I wasn't). That's why I prefer my old school NES games over a lot of the arcade versions of those games (Contra comes to mind, Double Dragon). The arcade games were meant to give you limited excitement for a quarter, the home games were designed to give you a few months. I didn't understand that as a kid ("Just let me play two player simultaneous Double Dragon, Nintendo!!! GAH!" ) but I understand it now.

I'll be following this thread with interest!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkamanraiden View Post
I'd love to covert the turtle in time cab back unfortunately the board is fairly rare/expensive

They pop up on ebay all the time, but in the last year have gone from $100 to $300 on average. Boo urns. Wait a year after the film is done. It will go back down.

Best of luck on the rest of the projects, Sounds like you have a few to keep you busy.

I've just ordered all my cap kits I need plus a few other things. I, today, need to go to the hardware store and pick a few other things. Need to get those spare cabs fixed and sold.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #25
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
I won't even read this whole thread right now, because I just have to say I LOVE ARCADE MACHINES....all retro gaming, really.

I almost bought an Asteroids a year ago, but I was a bit OCD on the condition (it wasn't an original cabinet, but the seller wanted original dollars).

RIght now I'm working on building a MAME machine for my X-Arcade dual stick. I've picked up a NOS Wico four way joystick for games like Pac Man and the like, just because I'm a stickler for recreating the experience of gaming...the X-Arcade is pretty cool, but micro switches will never give me that leaf-switch button and stick feeling from the 80s. It's good enough for now, though.

My biggest obstacle with MAME (and home arcade machines) is that generally, the games require QUARTERS...lol, and as a kid, we all know what that was like (unless you were a rich kid, which I wasn't). That's why I prefer my old school NES games over a lot of the arcade versions of those games (Contra comes to mind, Double Dragon). The arcade games were meant to give you limited excitement for a quarter, the home games were designed to give you a few months. I didn't understand that as a kid ("Just let me play two player simultaneous Double Dragon, Nintendo!!! GAH!" ) but I understand it now.

I'll be following this thread with interest!
Working asteroids conversion. $100? I can agree with you in regards to some ports being better. Namely NES Double Dragon 2 vs Double Dragon 1. However, your golden era, pre 83, are about scores not quarter munchers. The munchers didn't go crazy until the fighters etc of the 90's. Is my recollection. Shoot, for a few dollars I can play tetris for hours. I'd need $15 (60 Credits) just to attempt to beat X-Men. Using your mutant powers drains your life. Boo Urns.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #26
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

Big video game and arcade fan here.

Problem is, I'm not really interested in getting classic arcade cabinets; I'm actually mainly a arcade enthusiast for fighting games (mostly Capcom stuff); and even then, I'm not too fond of the older American Street Fighter machines (stand-up cabs with Happ sticks/buttons) just because they're really not comfortable by today's standards. I'd rather go out of my way to get a modern Taito Vewlix cabinet instead.

So anyways, I design/build my own cabinets, as you can see in this post here: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...187#post471187

On the side of actual arcade hardward, I've been toying with the idea of buying CPS-2 boards (90's era Capcom games), but the whole thing with the suicide battery and all has me paranoid, in addition to the usual high prices. I know there's a guy that everyone sends their ROM chips on their CPS-2 boards to get permanently flashed so it no longer relies on the suicide battery, but that's additional cost there...

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #27
CanBot
Cybertron

Quote:
Working asteroids conversion. $100? I can agree with you in regards to some ports being better. Namely NES Double Dragon 2 vs Double Dragon 1. However, your golden era, pre 83, are about scores not quarter munchers. The munchers didn't go crazy until the fighters etc of the 90's. Is my recollection. Shoot, for a few dollars I can play tetris for hours. I'd need $15 (60 Credits) just to attempt to beat X-Men. Using your mutant powers drains your life. Boo Urns.
Yes, of course you're right...I was talking about the late 80s, early 90s games. I LOVE the early 80s games (Galaga is my absolute favorite, if I had to pick just one), and during the NES heyday where the goals changed from points to 'finishing' games, that's when some things changed, culminating with the beginning of the end (IMO), with the release of Street Fighter 2. Loved that game, but just about everything that came after it?....not so much. Not to mention that by that time, everything could be done at home (even on an SNES, you had a LOT of power).

I really wish I went to Funspot or another arcade like that when I used to live on the east coast. But I hear there's an awesome retro arcade in Oregon...plus the annual trade show in Seattle. I miss the old arcades...

...and to keep this TF related, remember this old chestnut?...

Aeroboto (or Formation Z, depending on where you lived)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTMe5TRbHdI

The first Transformers-type game that was so awesome as a kid, I couldn't believe it!...playing a video game as Jetfire? But try it now, and...well, again, sometimes best to leave the past in the past
Old 11-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #28
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

I've never been a huge fan of stand up arcades, gaming or Batman but this sit-down Batmobile arcade game looks frakin' Bat-Ass!!!

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #29
CanBot
Cybertron

That looks crazy!...every now and then, they still can put out a great arcade game, like that Terminator Salvation gun game. That's the only way they can make it work, having something you just can't duplicate at home.

I can imagine it'll cost at least 3 bux to play once, lol
Old 11-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #30
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

I'm stuck in the 90's. Everything after that isn't that impressive to me. Good, just doesn't give me the chills like my nostalgia does.