Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 06-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
Transformers: The Last Knight Opens at #1 in US

As noted by The Hollywood Reporter and Variety, The Last Knight managed a #1 $69.1m U.S. domestic box office bow against no other new wide release competition this weekend. Its opening gross is below that of AOE and thus marks the lowest of the franchise. The Last Knight, which Paramount says cost $217 million to make before a major marketing spend, is the latest summer sequel to spring an oil leak, at least in the U.S., coming in 31 percent behind Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014). And it is the first Transformers movie not to open to $100 million or » Continue Reading.

The post Transformers: The Last Knight Opens at #1 in US appeared first on Transformer World 2005 - TFW2005.COM.

More...
Old 06-25-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
joshimus
Metroplex
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Opens at #1 in US

That's not a surprise but I predict a 60%+ decrease next weekend.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
Jonnydark
Beast Machine

Please let this be the end of this shameful era in Transformer's history.

Jonnydark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
there_is_a_martens
Beast Machine

The movie actually did better than I expected it would. I saw it on Wednesday and I can't put my finger on why I came away disappointed. There were a lot of things I liked (spoilers to follow, maybe):

1.best portrayal of megatron in a movie so far

2. Liked the use of cade as rescuing/harboring transformers

3. Actual banter between decepticon

4. No annoying/oversexualized characters

5. Anthony Hopkins was entertaining

6. Submarine battle was neat

7. Enjoyed new Autobots cog man and hot rod

8. Infernocus!

9. Dragonstorm!

10. Quintessa was an intriguing villain

11. Last act was breathtaking

And finally......

12. Unicron tease for the next movie

I think the movie would have been much better if they had just cut out all the Arthurian legend nonsense. My only complaint is it was too bloated.
Cheers!
Old 06-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
Pascal
Banned

A flop that sits at #1? Interesting.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:54 PM   #6
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
A flop that sits at #1? Interesting.
It's entirely possible. It's coming in well below projections. They spent X amount of dollars just making the fuckin' thing, and god knows how much afterwards promoting it. We've been seeing trailers for almost a year now. It's got the worst opening weekend of all five TF movies, and it's HIGHLY unlikely that it's going to sustain into next weekend. Word of mouth/critical reception isn't going to drive people to go see it and give it legs; if the primary audience didn't even really turn out for opening weekend, who else is let?

I mean, Batman vs Superman still made, what? 800 million dollars? That sounds like a huge winner success, but after budget, marketing, and the all-important "makes people hyped for Justice League and future DCEU movies" factor, it failed. I don't feel like looking up if it actually made WB any money or not but if it made any profit it was marginal after all the costs and ticket sales came in.

International may or may not save it but if Money Talks, this is about the only thing that could force any significant changes in how Paramount/Hasbro approach the TF franchise. And that's the reality. I can't stand these movies, I'm begging for a different take, different director, writers that come from a different orbit, but the movies had made all involved stupid amounts of money. They've had no incentive to make any changes.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:36 PM   #7
905soundwave
Robot in Disguise

they're banking on China sales once again.

King Arthur thing is just not happening for me. so I will probably wait until someone gets the DVD.

The dinobots, and constructicons (fan favourites of the past) were must-sees in the past movies. Not sure what the must-see bot now is. or what's new. The video games look a lot more interesting and faithful.
905soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:16 AM   #8
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
It's entirely possible. It's coming in well below projections. They spent X amount of dollars just making the fuckin' thing, and god knows how much afterwards promoting it. We've been seeing trailers for almost a year now. It's got the worst opening weekend of all five TF movies, and it's HIGHLY unlikely that it's going to sustain into next weekend. Word of mouth/critical reception isn't going to drive people to go see it and give it legs; if the primary audience didn't even really turn out for opening weekend, who else is let?

I mean, Batman vs Superman still made, what? 800 million dollars? That sounds like a huge winner success, but after budget, marketing, and the all-important "makes people hyped for Justice League and future DCEU movies" factor, it failed. I don't feel like looking up if it actually made WB any money or not but if it made any profit it was marginal after all the costs and ticket sales came in.

International may or may not save it but if Money Talks, this is about the only thing that could force any significant changes in how Paramount/Hasbro approach the TF franchise. And that's the reality. I can't stand these movies, I'm begging for a different take, different director, writers that come from a different orbit, but the movies had made all involved stupid amounts of money. They've had no incentive to make any changes.
*whisper* TLK already made budget +$50M

B v S was such a failure that they cancelled wonder woman, oh wait
No

They don't give a fuck as long as they make money :-)

Last edited by Nocturn; 06-26-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #9
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
*whisper* TLK already made budget +$50M
*whisper* production budget doesn't include marketing. Still 200 million in the hole.

Just messing with you. This will make a profit, no doubt there, but it's going to miss the mark by a crazy margin. Much like BvS, which WB was expecting over a billion from, the low performance might help steer the franchise a bit, or at least make them get a little more realistic about their plans for the next 3 Bumblebee movies and the 12 movies they said they were toying with from their writers room.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Quinn View Post
*whisper* production budget doesn't include marketing. Still 200 million in the hole.

Just messing with you. This will make a profit, no doubt there, but it's going to miss the mark by a crazy margin. Much like BvS, which WB was expecting over a billion from, the low performance might help steer the franchise a bit, or at least make them get a little more realistic about their plans for the next 3 Bumblebee movies and the 12 movies they said they were toying with from their writers room.
I didnt say it was already profitable, I said how much it's made, which if it's that much after 6 days, they're laughing straight to the bank, regardless the 15% RT score.

Theyre going to steer the franchise in the direction of money. By your own admission TLK will make money; we're going to get shitty TF movies until they're unprofitable, just like we're still getting all those DCEU films. The machine is already is motion and too big to stop, even if TLK loses money we'd still get the bumblebee movie cause that crap is already too far down the pipe
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote