Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus
Skylanders

Has anyone played this yet?? As much as I've tried to ignore it =) It does look interesting.

From the reviews I've read it seems to be an action / adventure game similar to some Mario games. With the figures being akin to mini DLC packs.

Some of the extra characters look interesting, like the Golem, Elf and Dragon. But I can't see being completest about it. But how much content is associated with each additional figure?? I know the reviews have said you can finish the game with the three included figures. Any length estimations for the base games??

Any opinions on it??

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Protoman
The Legend
Re: Skylanders

My friend has the Wii verison (is there any one versions??). It seems interesting, the figures act as a memory card for your monster and you play form of game VERY similar to Gauntlet Legends or how Final Fantasy Crystal Cronicles works. We are all getting pulled in by the TOY aspect, but at the end of the day, the whole games content is already on the disc, the toys just unlock it and stores the data for that one unique character.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Well, picked it up today. Got it all hooked up this evening, sat down with the little one. And the damn thing doesn't work.

The portal won't recognize any of the figures. After some messing around we managed to figure out that the portal seems to have it's focus point set too high.

If you hold the figure a few inches above the portal it works fine. Too high, or too low (On the portal where it's supposed to be) and it doesn't work.

/groan.. Now I need to go back to Walmart tomorrow morning and try and get a refund. Since I bought the last one today. And I can only imagine what kind of chore that will be. Trying to get a refund on an opened video game.

I should have bought it at EB.. I knew half the staff there.. Wish me luck.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Mumps
Canadian Slag

A guy a work came up to me last week, raving about how he bought this game for his kids, but is kinda upset that he kids like it so much because he wants to try it. XD
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Walmart didn't like it, but they had none left in stock and none on order. So I got a refund and went to EB.

Only had a couple minutes to test it out, and seems to be working now.

I'm not allowed to play Spyro either, that's her character =)

From what I've seen I like Bash. Going to try and find a couple hours tonight to play.

By the time we got back from Halloween last night it was too late to fire it up.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Ok, got to play it for a few hours now. And I like the game. I seems to be a mash up of Mario and Gauntlet.

You have some RPG lite elements, and some good ole button mashing action.

The secrets seem to be well hidden to me, I keep an eye out for them. But I'm being dragged around the levels by an 8 year old. And she has no patience lol

I will need to go back and replay levels later on, and seek out all the things we're missing. And with the different characters someone will always need some experience or gold.

Up to Chapter 5 and that one was a little trickier. Lost a few Skylanders working out the patterns.

Graphics are great, sound is good. And some of the NPCs have some funny dialogue. Apparently it's written by two former writers from Toy Story.

The figures are very nicely made and painted. About $7.88 ea here. Little pricey, but not too bad I don't think. The GF was paying $2 ea collecting the marvel bobble head things in the gum ball machines. All save data and info is stored right on the figure itself.

Amazing how small things make a difference. One review mentioned that instead of having a pause menu to change characters. They made them into physical objects you buy and a portal to swap and all of the sudden it's more interesting. And that seems to be true.

Changing characters, basically classes on the fly is pretty quick and seamless.

We have 6 characters so far. And there are about 6 other ones I would like to pick up. As well as the two current adventure packs. They add two more levels and some buffs and treasure. As well as two more characters.

I think this is the first time the 8 yr old as actually asked to play a game. She's normally not interested at all. And it's been light fun. I'd recommend it if you like these kinds of games.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Protoman
The Legend

Video Review by me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLFa2vj9ER8
Old 11-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

I was swarmed by kids today at work. They were looking for this and I had no clue what they were talking about.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaetz View Post
I was swarmed by kids today at work. They were looking for this and I had no clue what they were talking about.
lol.. It seems to be selling well everywhere I've looked. The Skylanders section always looks like a bomb went off.

I was hoping to find the Darklight Crypt Adventure Pack at Toys R Us.. they had the sign up, but were sold out. And by the time I got home so was the web site I have relatives going to the US next week. Will have to hit them up to look for one for me.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akroyer View Post
lol.. It seems to be selling well everywhere I've looked. The Skylanders section always looks like a bomb went off.

I was hoping to find the Darklight Crypt Adventure Pack at Toys R Us.. they had the sign up, but were sold out. And by the time I got home so was the web site I have relatives going to the US next week. Will have to hit them up to look for one for me.
My Walmart had almost NOTHING left from the big display they had, I wanted to get a spare Terrafin Adventure for a friend (cause they are retarded priced online (35-40 bucks USD) but at cheaper at Walmart ($19.99 plus tax)