Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #1711
Blitzwing
Armada
Re: Star Wars Discussion (Ep 7, Rogue One, Rebels & More!)

Got tickets for the Ultra AVX 3D show tonight at 7:30. Can't wait, I've been avoiding most websites and social media for the last week so I don't get any spoilers.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #1712
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Saw it last night with the staff of ILM Vancouver.

All the reports are true...Rogue One is the STAR WARS movie us "adult" fans have been waiting for.

Gonna try to be spoiler-free here...

K2SO steals the show.

Felicity Jones impressed me, despite my reservations.

I was shocked by how faithful it was to not only the Original Trilogy (Ep IV ANH in particular), but also to what was established in the Prequels as well.

Non-John Williams score was not a problem. In fact, it was fitting. Williams' style suits the sprawling nature of the Saga films, whereas Giacchino has more of the rousing "martial" feeling of a ensemble war movie even though the music was a little too "nuStar Trek" at times.

The movie actually paints the events of ANH in a new light knowing what had to be done to get the plans into Princess Leia's hands.

I did have some minor gripes:

The much heralded "U-Wing" is just plain ridiculous. Is it a troop transport or a snub figher??? It cannot be both.

I've never followed the The Clones Wars series or Rebels so I had no investment in Saw Gerrerra as a character. I do understand why they chose Forrest Whittaker to portray him (to convey the danger and gravitas of the greyer than grey character), but I feel like he was TOO big in the role. I felt like he should have dialed it back a bit.

Kinda wish Donny Yuen's character had more to do. It almost felt like he and Jiang Wen were thrown in there to cater to the much-desired Chinese movie market.

Oh...and what the fuck is up with Stormtrooper armor not being able to withstand stick and baton strikes??? Back in my junior varsity football days I used to take shots to the head with my helmet from other helmets and I walked away (a bit dazed), but in this universe you can knock out and maybe even kill helmeted Imperials with sticks. Dafuq??? Anyways, still gonna see it 2 more times this weekend.

It's great, you guys. It's not perfect, it's not Empire, and thankfully it's not down in the basement with the Prequels. Dare I say...it's slightly better than The Force Awakens when you remove all the fan service TFA was obliged to show.

Now...if only there were lightsabers in Rogue One .

Last edited by jjwankenobi; 12-15-2016 at 07:04 PM.
jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #1713
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

I am going this Sunday.. early 10:15am AVX show. looks like there are only 6 seats sold LOL...But WTF did another person book the seat next to mine? It's like those crazy people got on an empty bus and that person chooses to sit next to you...WTF.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #1714
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
I am going this Sunday.. early 10:15am AVX show. looks like there are only 6 seats sold LOL...But WTF did another person book the seat next to mine? It's like those crazy people got on an empty bus and that person chooses to sit next to you...WTF.
Just casually mention to him/her you liked The Prequels and Hayden. Guaranteed they'll move away and leave you alone.

As backup bring a barrel of Costco-sized Kimchi and start snacking on that during the trailers. They'll move away for sure .

Old 12-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #1715
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
Just casually mention to him/her you liked The Prequels and Hayden. Guaranteed they'll move away and leave you alone.

As backup bring a barrel of Costco-sized Kimchi and start snacking on that during the trailers. They'll move away for sure .
I am hoping it will be a hot nerdy girl....but it's most likely a smelly comic book guy type....
Old 12-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #1716
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
I am hoping it will be a hot nerdy girl....but it's most likely a smelly comic book guy type....
Maybe you'll be lucky and it'll be a hot, smelly, kimchi loving comic book nerdy girl that loved The Prequels.

Hey...it is Christmas, after all.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #1717
Hawkeye
Generation 2

I'm flying back to England for Christmas so I wont get to see this until Monday, but I am so looking forward to it.
To make it even better, I managed to snag a 6-inch Black Series Revan from walmart.ca and then an Ahsoka tonight from Billings Bridge Walmart.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:20 AM   #1718
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Just came back from seeing it. JJ assessment is pretty spot on.

Though, I'm still not sure about the score. And there's something off about how they modulated Vader's voice.

Have to see it again to be sure. I was in a small theatre and their sound system wasn't the best. But that sacrifice was worth it not to have a bunch of idiots taking out their cell phones and talking over movie.

And I'm not sure how I feel about how they puzzled the movie into place. What I mean by that is that the timing of things seems a little rushed.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:22 PM   #1719
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
And there's something off about how they modulated Vader's voice.
Yep I thought that too, Maybe JEJ's voice isn't as booming as it was back in the day so they had to modulate it or something.

And another thing has been toiling in the back of my mind, related to something George Lucas once said about replacing actors digitally. De-aging Michael Douglas or RDJr. in Ant-Man or Civil War was one thing, but what they achieved in R1 is both amazing and shocking. I mean...they can literally resurrect any dead actor now!

Old 12-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #1720
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
And another thing has been toiling in the back of my mind, related to something George Lucas once said about replacing actors digitally. De-aging Michael Douglas or RDJr. in Ant-Man or Civil War was one thing, but what they achieved in R1 is both amazing and shocking. I mean...they can literally resurrect any dead actor now!
It's pretty close to being spot on but to me they still haven't quite traverse the uncanny valley aspect yet. And once I noticed, I couldn't help being distracted every time that character came on screen.