Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2015, 11:31 PM   #991
Hawkeye
Generation 2
Re: Star Wars Episode VII Discussion (Spoilers Within)

Just got back from seeing it....and I came out feeling really let down. I'm really bummed because I was so excited to see it and had such high hopes after hearing the early reviews.

Ultimately my problems were it was too much like ANH and hit too many of my 'I really hope they don't do this in the new movie' checkmarks.

Having said that, Finn and Rey were amazing. Loved their banter, loved so much about those two. Poe was pretty good too, and I enjoyed the returning cast as well. Threepios entrance was fantastic.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #992
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Everyones Opinions Are Welcome

Please Comment On The Film And Not Your Opinions Of Those Who May Not Share Your View Point

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #993
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

...it was good...
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:16 AM   #994
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Third screening done. Kylo Ren is such a compelling, tragic character. Rey is well fleshed out and is the new hero (heroine?) we need.

Forgot to say that the pre-screening with ILM Vancouver artists the other day was such a hoot. They were more excited to see their name in the credits than to watch what was onscreen.

Lots of cheers from the IMAX 3D crowd today. My son says he still prefers the Classic trilogy. Thats my boy!

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:56 AM   #995
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

I got my tickets the wife and I are going to see the flick on the 24th as all the good seats for this weekend were sold out booooo.
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:52 AM   #996
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Just saw it. Shame on you George Lucas for your over-CGI'd prequels. You basically ruined Star Wars for me. Enter JJ. Star Wars redeemed!

Only downside to this movie is JJ is not directing the next one but then again, Empire was directed by someone different. I hope that person keeps it as "real" as possible too. What a difference it makes.

Another thing to mention, I love the new cast. Even Poe. I didn't think he'd be good. Kylo Ren. Just wow! Blew me away.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #997
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Just saw it. Shame on you George Lucas for your over-CGI'd prequels. You basically ruined Star Wars for me. Enter JJ. Star Wars redeemed!
Yeah, when you put the prequels up next to this it's like a legends class figure trying to compete with a masterpiece level one. No competition.

It's funny, I read an article where they were talking about how Lucas had story treatments for the sequels. Disney takes those treatments and puts them in a safe place where they belong, in the trash.

Lucas was supposed to be a consultant but couldn't agree on direction of the sequels. Lucas said Star Wars was a soap opera. And Disney said it's a space opera.

Lucas walked away because he knew he wasn't going to get what he wanted. Disney decided to go in the direction of giving the fans what they wanted. Hahah..

Hinty spoilers ahead, so turn away now if you haven't seen the film.

Lucas said this about the prequels. "You see the echo of where it all is gonna go. It's like poetry, sort of. They rhyme."

Well that's what Abrams did with the sequels and he did it right.

If you think about it, it's almost like a bit of a jab at Lucas, showing him that there's a difference between poetry that sounds like a wet fart and one that's sweet and haunting.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #998
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Yeah, when you put the prequels up next to this it's like a legends class figure trying to compete with a masterpiece level one. No competition.
For me, the whole prequels should just be erased from movie history. They were so badly told. I hardly cared about any of the characters. And those that interested me were killed off too fast or just glossed over. I challenge Disney to redo them right and prove George Lucas is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
It's funny, I read an article where they were talking about how Lucas had story treatments for the sequels. Disney takes those treatments and puts them in a safe place where they belong, in the trash.

Lucas was supposed to be a consultant but couldn't agree on direction of the sequels. Lucas said Star Wars was a soap opera. And Disney said it's a space opera.

Lucas walked away because he knew he wasn't going to get what he wanted. Disney decided to go in the direction of giving the fans what they wanted. Hahah..
Really? What a slap in the face. Good for them

My George Lucas rant...

I think George needs to come to terms that he is not as good as he thinks he is. I really truly believe ANH was only successful because he played it safe and didnt get too "out there" with his ideas. It was a good story with good interesting characters. And it was his own money on the line, after all.

I've seen many interviews with him and peoples comments about dealing with him and he seems really cocky. Very introverted. Just an odd ball. He is not open to suggestions cause he is "George Lucas". He has stated many times in interviews he hates Hollywood and the movie industry cause he hates other people making decisions. He hates the collaborative process.

It is clear he wants to be the boss and only portray his vision, which it fine and all. Artists need to express themselves, but when people and fans have invested so much into the chatacters and story, you have to give the fans what they want.

I am so glad George is no longer associated with Star Wars.

Last edited by MULTIPLEX; 12-20-2015 at 11:59 AM.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #999
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

I must have been the only one that actually like the 3 prequels. I am not saying that they were great movies or even good from start to finish but each of them has had it's moments for me and Darth Maul was one of my favorite bad guys. My favorite of the three would have to be ROTS.

I would like to see then re-do them though
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #1000
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
I think George needs to come to terms that he is not as good as he thinks he is.
I've brought this up a bunch of times, but IMHO part of the reason the prequels didn't work was George's ex-wife, Marcia, an Academy Award winning film editor, wasn't involved.

She helped George find the heart of the story. She's responsible for some of the great moments like Ben dying. George didn't know what to do with Ben and she told him he should die.

If you look at his first movie, THX-1138, they call it cold and distant.

And when the first cut of Star Wars made, it wasn't working. George fired his film editor and Marcia stepped in and save the film in the editing room.

And coincidentally, they got divorced as Return of the Jedi was finishing up.

You can read about the whole thing here at The Secret History of Star Wars.

http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryo...rcialucas.html

Once you read it, you'll gain a pretty good understanding of why the prequels didn't work emotionally.

And of note, George was pretty bitter about the divorce and refused to acknowledge her contributions to making the original trilogy a success.

I mean if you strip the prequels down to the core ideas behind the story, it sounds pretty good. But ideas are only part of the equation. You have to be able to breath life and emotion into those ideas, and I don't think that's within George's DNA.

And it seems to be the case. He his film record since hasn't been too good. He did the third Indiana Jones movie, and I think that was it.