Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #11
Oberon Prime
Beasty
Re: Strip Lights in a Detolf Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozrein View Post
I was thinking of running a line of LEDs down the back corners vertically. Just not sure if it'd be sufficient lighting for detolfs.
A buddy of mine does that using the Ikea Dioder lights. It does illuminate fairly well not as well as Multiplexes setup though.
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Oberon Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #12
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Oberon, mine are 300/5M reel. What dimmer are you thinking of using and power supply? I've had bad experience with dimmers and my set up due to the low wattage draw. Dimmers usually need more wattage to work.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #13
Oberon Prime
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Oberon, mine are 300/5M reel. What dimmer are you thinking of using and power supply? I've had bad experience with dimmers and my set up due to the low wattage draw. Dimmers usually need more wattage to work.
The controller box that you connect the RGB strips to which in turn connects to the power adapter has an IR sensor that the included remote interacts with the control box seems to do the dimming all built in.

This assumes I go the route of RGB 5050 300/5M as the kits all come with the control box and remote and many also a power adapter strong enough to keep the entire 5m powered.

I may go with Cool White 3825 600/5M instead at which point no dimming at all.
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #14
MULTIPLEX

Oh I see. This limits you to two Detolf per switch/power supply as they are only enough to power one reel. A five metre reel is not enough to wire up two Detolfs using the |_| configuration. You will need just over 5 1/2 metres plus more just in case you mess up which happens.

Keep in mind, if you plan on expanding you will need another power supply. I've got six on one power supply and plan to add two more but I've been procrastinating forever. Just trying to find a reason to complete the set up.

I have an idea. If you want to come by and check out my set up and get some pointers and a better idea of how bright the 3528s are, shoot me a PM. Bluevale is not too far from Guelph. This might be the kick in the pants I need to get the last two done. I've already got each shelf wired up. Just need to connect them to the power supply.

Can you tell how much I hate wiring these up?

Last edited by MULTIPLEX; 06-18-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #15
Oberon Prime
Beasty

Multi, The largest power supplies I've seen output up to 5A. Which as you indicated will only do one 5M reel. I assumed I could find more powerful supplies that could run 2 or more reels at once off of one controller. Perhaps that is incorrect.

The supply that runs your 6 what is it's output? Also how long are the strip segments for the sides and fronts that you use? I estimated 12ft for the 3 shelves and for the top.

As for seeing your setup. That is a grand suggestion it would be useful to see it in action before I decide.

At this time where I live I have room for the one Detolf. So I haven't exactly been thinking affordably expandable. I have $45 amazon.ca credit and I was just going to spend it all on one RGB 5050 300/5 kit plus connectors, l-couplers and extra wiring. However when I can setup my other 2 Detolfs I probably wont want to drop $40 a piece out of pocket 2 expand the setup nor does having to power each one separately appeal to me.

Thus more and more I like the idea of going with straight white 3825s it's just a question of whether ill be happy with the 300/5M strips or if ill want to go with 600/5M strips...
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 11:43 PM   #16
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

So I've been using an easy-does-it plug and play system for mine. I basically run two inter connected LED strip lights from IKEA just behind the metal frame. I also have glued a small cover on the outward side to try to aim the light more in. Not sure it's 100% showroom quality, but works for me.

The middle one isn't set up yet and yes there is a lot of extra cords, but I'm not that OCD about it.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #17
MULTIPLEX

20 Amp PS

There are cut points in the reel every four inches I believe.

|_|

| = 8"
_ = 12"
Old 06-20-2016, 01:48 PM   #18
Oberon Prime
Beasty

Thanks so 2 reels would do all 3 of the cases I currently have. So just need to buy 1 more reel, connectors, l-couplers, and a more powerful power supply when its time to do the other 2.

Every kit I've seen comes with a 6A power supply. I could run 2 or 3 cases off of one controller/remote that comes with the starter kit but the power supplies I've seen only do 6A so I will have to buy the supply separately.

Where did you get a 20A supply? The largest output I've seen on Amazon has been 12A.
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #19
Rev
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon Prime View Post
What Multiplex did is exactly what I was thinking of doing. My main concern is how they would stand out when looking down at the shelves and what I saw in his pics left me uncertain if that is where I want to attach them.

I was unable to tell in Revs pics exactly how and where the lights were attached or how they looked from both top and bottom.

Does anybody know if its possible to buy strip lights that are completely transparent where the light could be seen shining down but also up through the glass they would be attached to?
Mine are attached to the bottom of each shelf with double sided tape about 4 inches back from the front. Too far back and the front figures are in shadow. Too far forward and the back figures are in the dark. A U shape would alleviate this problem but would have been too costly for me given my choice of lights. Do give lots of thought to how you will hide the wires. It makes a big difference. As an aside, I ended making mats for each shelf to hide the lights. Also gives them more grip.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote