Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-17-2016, 02:21 AM   #1
Oberon Prime
Beasty
Strip Lights in a Detolf Questions?

Hello All,

I've lately come into some Amazon Gift Cards from my job and I'm thinking of finally rigging up a lighting solution for one or two Detolfs.

I think I've settled on some 5050 RGB 300 LEDs per 5m strip lights. As I like how bright the white is but it also seems that being able to do different colours or dim them could be fun around certain times of the year.

Now I know I need to power and control the lights for each case separately or at lest I think I do.

What I am uncertain of is the layout. As I understand it I should be able to cut the 5m roll up at custom lengths. But I am totally unsure where to place the lights to get the best light. Nor how I am to connect the various ends on a level much less link the lights for each level together.

In short I need some advice and recommendations on pretty much all aspects of this project from anybody who cares to chime in on what worked for them.
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Oberon Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:25 AM   #2
justprime
Animated
Re: Strip Lights in a Detolf Questions?

You may want to consider uv levels generated by lighting
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
Oberon Prime
Beasty

The lights I'm looking at do not generate significant heat (are comfortable to touch), UV or any other deleterious forms of radiation.
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

Check out these,Multi,s and Rev"s

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...=52656&page=12

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...=44760&page=15

I myself have pucks, but have bought a few strips to add to mine

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=57596&page=2

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #5
Oberon Prime
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime1 View Post
What Multiplex did is exactly what I was thinking of doing. My main concern is how they would stand out when looking down at the shelves and what I saw in his pics left me uncertain if that is where I want to attach them.

I was unable to tell in Revs pics exactly how and where the lights were attached or how they looked from both top and bottom.

Does anybody know if its possible to buy strip lights that are completely transparent where the light could be seen shining down but also up through the glass they would be attached to?
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

I would say that if you don't want to see the lights on the shelves then maybe no lights is your answer. I have seen Multiplexes set up in person and I would say that his pics don'y do his set up justice. If you are OCD and it would bother you then it would not be for you but you only see them when you up close
Old 06-17-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
miyinan
Generation 2
miyinan's Ebay Auctions

Remote control battery powered puck led would be the easier...Costco carried some a while ago
miyinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Oberon, this is potentially a huge discussion as there are so many factors and options out there. I'll just make a few points about strip lighting.

Rev's amazing display uses the Ikea Dioder solution, which emits a warm white or yellowy tint to it much like an incandescent light bulb. It's basically plug and play, sort of. Mine is all custom and requires a lot of effort. It uses bright white LED strips on a reel, much like what you are considering. If you are willing to put in the work, it's well worth it.

In general, you need to decide what kind of white lighting you prefer. The Kelvin rating is key and determines which kind of white it will display, warm white or bright white. Don't get too hung up on LED size as they all emit plenty of light for a typical Detolf display. Some maybe even too much. Rev always refers to my man cave as my sun room

The other thing to consider is the RGB connectors and respective strip lighting are wider than the 3528 solution (what I use). It sounds like the visibility of the underside of the strip lighting as you look down on the shelves will bother you. Well it will be more intrusive with the 5050s. I have considered hiding mine with a strip of decorative tape but it doesn't really bother me.

As far as configuration/layout, I have tested this thoroughly and IMO the |_| shape is the optimal layout and minimizes shadows. The cut points on the strip lighting are perfect to achieve this.

As far as dimming, don't bother. I tried it and it's a pain to get working and will just complicate your wiring IMO. If you must have it, go for the ready made solution.

Hope that helps.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:45 PM   #9
Oberon Prime
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Oberon, this is potentially a huge discussion as there are so many factors and options out there. I'll just make a few points about strip lighting.

Rev's amazing display uses the Ikea Dioder solution, which emits a warm white or yellowy tint to it much like an incandescent light bulb. It's basically plug and play, sort of. Mine is all custom and requires a lot of effort. It uses bright white LED strips on a reel, much like what you are considering. If you are willing to put in the work, it's well worth it.

In general, you need to decide what kind of white lighting you prefer. The Kelvin rating is key and determines which kind of white it will display, warm white or bright white. Don't get too hung up on LED size as they all emit plenty of light for a typical Detolf display. Some maybe even too much. Rev always refers to my man cave as my sun room

The other thing to consider is the RGB connectors and respective strip lighting are wider than the 3528 solution (what I use). It sounds like the visibility of the underside of the strip lighting as you look down on the shelves will bother you. Well it will be more intrusive with the 5050s. I have considered hiding mine with a strip of decorative tape but it doesn't really bother me.

As far as configuration/layout, I have tested this thoroughly and IMO the |_| shape is the optimal layout and minimizes shadows. The cut points on the strip lighting are perfect to achieve this.

As far as dimming, don't bother. I tried it and it's a pain to get working and will just complicate your wiring IMO. If you must have it, go for the ready made solution.

Hope that helps.
I think even with the undersides of the strips visible that approach has won me over. I had largely decided on the "U" layout as being optimal anyways.

I was thinking of going with 5050 RGB as I liked the idea of being able to dim with the remote and cast everything in a sinister purple has its appeal. Plus I saw how with the 300 count strips that it was hard to pick out individual LED's and the appearance at least when at full brightness was almost a bar of light rather than being able to see individual leds.

However the idea of those big thick multicoloured cables running between the shelves is even less appealing and I wonder if the light produced by full brightness on a 300 count strip of 5050 may be too bright by a fair bit. Though the brightness issue could be alleviated by using the dimmer to turn them down

Now I'm wondering if perhaps I should just go plain cool white rather than RGB so that the cables are less obtrusive.

Yours looks really sharp. I am curious though what is the led count on your 3528 strips?
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Last edited by Oberon Prime; 06-17-2016 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #10
Ozrein
Stunticon

I was thinking of running a line of LEDs down the back corners vertically. Just not sure if it'd be sufficient lighting for detolfs.