Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #1
TNG
Hot Rod did nothing wrong
Shopping for Transformers at Discovery Hut

Yeah I won't.
I just wanna rant a little(Hopefully this be the right place to do that)

I imagine by now we have all seen the rise in Transformers prices not just in Canada, but the whole world. It sucks but we have gotten used to it(Still irritating but at least its not inconsistent).
In comes Discovery Hut, now no shade at anyone who works at DH(at least in Chinnok), but I find it utterly ridiculous the price at which TFs are sold, mainly SS. Good variety tho(Barricade and Cogman were there and I def was gonna pick them up especially Barricade since I have had trouble locating him and need him and Bonecrusher to complete my 2007 Decepticons) but 45 dollars for a deluxe, like no, im sorry but I just couldn't on principle pay what is nearly 50 with tax for something i could find at most for 35 at any other retail. And for those wonderin they do have Siege, Predaking, and Moonracer as well
I understand stores gotta make money, especially toy stores in this day in age, but damn that is like, I swear I'm speechless. I'd love to here yalls thoughts or if yall have maybe a reason as to why it so much. Hope yall have splendid day and lit new year
TNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
DesertDog
Beast Machine
Re: Shopping for Transformers at Discovery Hut

They’re a one-off boutique toy store that likely can not or will not devote the amount of shelf space required to qualify them for the same wholesale prices as chains like TRU or Walmart.

Also, as a boutique store they generally cater to the type of customer that doesn’t mind paying a few extra bucks as long as it shuts the kids up. The only inexpensive things in there are the Knick-Knacks at the counter.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

There is a chain in the Toronto area called "Toys Toys Toys" which also prices themselves higher than regular mass retail. They have 9 locations, and seem to rely on tourists and parents who have more money than brains/time (I'm speaking from the experience with their two downtown Toronto stores).

I think they're not looking to attract price-conscious consumers.

They seem content to sit on old stock for quite a while.

The only stuff I've ever bought from them was smaller items (where the markup wasn't as ridiculous) which I couldn't find in mass retail.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:16 PM   #4
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
There is a chain in the Toronto area called "Toys Toys Toys" which also prices themselves higher than regular mass retail. They have 9 locations, and seem to rely on tourists and parents who have more money than brains/time (I'm speaking from the experience with their two downtown Toronto stores).

I think they're not looking to attract price-conscious consumers.

They seem content to sit on old stock for quite a while.

The only stuff I've ever bought from them was smaller items (where the markup wasn't as ridiculous) which I couldn't find in mass retail.
When you consider that if you miss a figure when it's easily available, and it becomes a hard to find one, and the online price when you see it, is easily double what it was sold for, and then you need to add the shipping that's rarely less than around 25$, I would think that finding such a figure that would be 30% higher isn't as bad as the alternative could be.

One comic book store in my area has just a few TFs, most being old stock, and are sold at a good 10-15$ above the price that you'd get at Walwart/TrU and such.. but if that particular figure is important to your collection, is there really a choice? (aside just not getting it)

It sucks, but it's also how things are. And these stores could end up being a better deal than online scalpers... sadly, some might actually be part of the scalpers crowd.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
sdmacleod
Big Robot
sdmacleod's Ebay Auctions

What bothers me is that I've seen the local boutique toy store owner near me checking his local ToysRUs. I'm certain he cleans them out of hard-to-find figures (especially during sales) - thus contributing to their rarity, and creating demand.
I can't argue with actions - from his point of view, it's good for his business. But it defines scalping from my point of view.
sdmacleod is offline   Reply With Quote