Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Talking This Bride Canceled Her Wedding After Guests Refused to Pay Her $1,500 Attendance Fee

(Mods, if this is too much for General, you can move it to Supporter's Lounge)

ARTICLE: This Bride Canceled Her Wedding After Guests Refused to Pay Her $1,500 Attendance Fee

Quote:
We don't need to tell you that weddings can get expensive. Even with the most meticulous budgeting, a few unexpected costs are bound to crop up. While most brides tend to accept this as fact, one Canadian woman, who is only known as "Susan," attempted to circumvent all wedding costs by asking her friends and family to pay up to attend her wedding. It went about as well as you'd expect.

"Susan" is causing quite the debate online after posting a bizarre Facebook rant about her now-canceled wedding. Yup, the couple called off the wedding just days before their I dos, after their guests refused to pay the $1,500 attendance fee Susan was demanding in order to pay for her CAD $60,000 ($46,020 USD) dream wedding.

In her long-winded, expletive-filled explanation, the (former) bride accused her friends and family of ruining her marriage and her life. “How could we have our wedding that we dreamed of without proper funding? We'd sacrificed so much and only asked each guest for around $1,500. We talked to a few people who even promised us more to make our dream come true," she reportedly wrote on Facebook.

"My maid of honor pledged $5,000 along with her planning services. We tearfully thanked and accepted. My ex's family offered to contribute $3,000. So our request for $1,500 for all other guests was not f***ing out of the ordinary. Like, we made it clear. If you couldn't contribute, you weren't invited to our exclusive wedding. It's a once and a lifetime [sic] party.”

She continued, "We just needed a little push. Our dream wedding amounted to $60,000... All we asked was for a little help from our friends and family to make it happen."

Surprise, surprise, none of that went over very well. After the couple sent out their invitations (and money requests), only eight guests RSVP'd. "We were f***ing livid," Susan wrote. "How was this supposed to happen without a little help from our friends. To make matters worse, my ex's family took back their offer. Suddenly, more people backed out, including the...maid of honor. My best friend since childhood. My second family. I was so shocked and tearful."

Realizing they would not be able to afford their dream wedding, Susan's fiancé suggested tying the knot in Las Vegas. The bride quickly shut down the idea, asking, "Am I supposed to get married in the heart of shady gamblers, alcoholics and the get rich fast fallacy?"

"I just wanted to be a Kardashian for a day and then live my life like normal," she said, totally and completely reasonably (JK), adding that her maid of honor advised her to stick to her budget, as she was asking for way too much from her guests. Oh, and then she accused her fiancé of talking behind her back, too.

"I overheard him talking in the basement when he called me a stuck up b****. Anyway I am exhausted. I am bone tired. My heart is not the same. It's stone cold," she wrote.

The Daily Mail only has screenshots of Susan's post, as she seemingly deactivated her Facebook account following the incident. They also managed to capture a few of the comments left underneath the post, including one of which that read, "I have no words. You're out of your mind, Susan."

Yeah, we're going to have to agree...
If you're going through a rough patch lately, take comfort you're not her.

I hope it's not anyone on this board.

Do McDonald's and Burger King sponsor weddings?

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
JLvatron
Chosen 1
Re: This Bride Canceled Her Wedding After Guests Refused to Pay Her $1,500 Attendance

Matrix, $60 000 for a wedding???

Why not hold it at your parents home, invite 30 closest family friends, and pay 3000 $ to someone to cater, serve, and clean?

Maybe it’s just entitlement.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
RocketGTR
Animated
Re: This Bride Canceled Her Wedding After Guests Refused to Pay Her $1,500 Attendance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post
Do McDonald's and Burger King sponsor weddings?
Weddings at McDonald's are a big thing in Hong Kong

http://www.mcdonalds.com.hk/en/parti...ing-party.html

Why Mcdonalds Weddings are a hit in Hong Kong

And ya, if you can't afford a $60k wedding, then maybe you shouldn't have a $60k wedding...
Old 08-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
905soundwave
Robot in Disguise

Or find another husband who can drop $60k without flinching.
905soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
RocketGTR
Animated

There's also a "cousin" who says "Susan" is actually American and not Canadian. So phew there?
Old 08-28-2018, 11:35 PM   #6
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

In Chinese weddings, guests generally give the bride and groom about a $100 per guest to help offset the cost of the wedding. It's not mandatory to attend, but it's expected.

Any costs that aren't recouped are on the bride and groom, because, well, it's their wedding. It's them throwing a party and wanting to share their joy with their friends and family. It's not meant to be your friends and family funding your extravagance. Seriously, live within your means.

Don't know if this story is real or not, but if it is, the groom got lucky and dodged a bullet. With stuff like this, it shouldn't matter if it's in a luxury hotel or at city hall. That gal is a piece of work.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:35 AM   #7
SleeplessKnight
Robot in Disguise

Wow, I remember when they used to do birthday parties. This is some next level $#!+ right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGTR View Post
Weddings at McDonald's are a big thing in Hong Kong

http://www.mcdonalds.com.hk/en/parti...ing-party.html

Why Mcdonalds Weddings are a hit in Hong Kong

And ya, if you can't afford a $60k wedding, then maybe you shouldn't have a $60k wedding...
My Sales Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=20919

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=21836
SleeplessKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

I couldn't help but click on the article, than saw the original article on the Daily Mail. Pretty sure it's a fake article because the screen shots of the Canadian bride shows Verizon, but I believe the sincerity of the article to be inspired by real people.

I agree it's crazy, the $60,000 price tag, but in Toronto and surrounding areas, especially in the last 10 years with the amount of wealth around, that amount isn't high for a fancy big wedding.

We in our personal life are friends with a girl, actually my Wife's friend whom is very similar to the person described in the article, but toned down to a lesser degree. Been married twice, not very fiscally responsible, likes to throw expensive parties and explicitly requests money on all the invitations. Bananas!
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:01 PM   #9
Pascal
Banned

Story sounds SO fake...
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #10
Deception
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
In Chinese weddings, guests generally give the bride and groom about a $100 per guest to help offset the cost of the wedding. It's not mandatory to attend, but it's expected.

Any costs that aren't recouped are on the bride and groom, because, well, it's their wedding. It's them throwing a party and wanting to share their joy with their friends and family. It's not meant to be your friends and family funding your extravagance. Seriously, live within your means.

Don't know if this story is real or not, but if it is, the groom got lucky and dodged a bullet. With stuff like this, it shouldn't matter if it's in a luxury hotel or at city hall. That gal is a piece of work.
Lol 100 doesnt even cover the dinner. 100 is bare minimum but you cant expect toddlers to pay and in some weddings there's a lot of them
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote