Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #1
CanBot
Cybertron
Quick Rant: The TF Logo

After looking at some photos of some TFs I've got on ebay, I've noticed something: I really don't like the newer Transformers logo on the box art compared to the iconic one based on the 80s design.

Compare the boxes of Metroplex to CW Devastator: I personally love the new artwork of the CW and UW line, even some MPs, but the logo from the past blows away the modern one. There's no style to it, just block letters.

I love the logo on the Metroplex box, and that's one of the last times I've seen it used on a big product...there's 25th Anniversary Unicron too, although I don't prefer the plastic box (even though it's great for MISB display).

Anyways, that's my rant. Small potatoes, but I can only imagine what the newer awesome artwork would look like with the older logo.

Thoughts?
Old 09-12-2015, 08:07 PM   #2
timcrook
Cybertron
Re: Quick Rant: The TF Logo

Are you talking about the font of the word "transformers"? I only have one box on display (misb Hasbro MP optimus) so I've never noticed.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Picture comparison?
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Xtreme987
Metroplex

Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
elburrito
Animated

I agree. The old logo is better imo. It might just be the nostalgia though. On its own, the new one is good

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

From a typography and modern design perspective, the old G1 logo is terrible. The kerning is off: the R, A, and N are overlapping while all the other letters have a distinct space between them. The N and M look like they should be lower case. The 2 S's are different, not unlike in the Star Wars logo. And gradient? Yuck! Not only are gradients out of style, but the gradient they use is...wavy. That, along with the bevel, would make it virtually impossible to create a brand style guide for.

Flat colors are the way to go these days. Which is why the new one works. Aside from the weird reflection/glint on the Robots in Disguise portion, it's just red and black. It also really helps that all Transformers packaging uses the same colors(red, black, and white), same font, same layout/placement, etc. Combiner Wars is black, red, and white while RiD is white, red, and black. It provides a unified look while still making a clear distinction from the kids toys to the adult collectors toys.

Overall, as a nostalgia thing, the G1 logo will always have a place in any Transformers fans heart. But from todays artistic standards, the new one is a win.

Last edited by UltraPrimal; 09-12-2015 at 10:02 PM.
UltraPrimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:03 PM   #7
RageD
Energon

I agree with Ultra Primal, the G1 Logo is a product of it's time and doesn't hold to today's standards. is it cool? You bet, would it get someone fired if they designed it today? You bet!
Old 09-12-2015, 11:52 PM   #8
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

I just don't like the vertical placement on the side.

Side topic. I personally really dislike the giant Chinese characters on Hasbro MP. They make them look like Chinese KO.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
big dawg
Energon

I was actually looking at the font and characters of the cw boxes tonight and I have to say, the letter A bugs me. I'm cool with the general design/font/layout but that one specific letter stuck out to me
big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:34 AM   #10
CanBot
Cybertron

Sorry, guys, I wish I could link some photos but I don't have a photobucket account anymore. Is there a way to upload pictures directly into threads?

I don't think it's pure nostalgia on my preference, I just think that the original was in fact a great design and has more impact than the newer one (yes, I should have said font previously). The S's arent' different, it's just that the R in 'formers' overlaps the S and whatever artist came up with it decided to angle that last S.

The best part of the original font is that with the right colouring, it can be made to fit into any background. Granted, not as much as the new one, but even if they didn't do the multi colours (autobot red and decepticon purple) in the letters, even a black on white outline would look good.

The newer font just has no impact, IMO. The vertical positioning doesn't do it for me either.

I have to wonder why Hasbro would mess with this, because you don't see bigger franchises do this often. My favorite update of the older font has to be on the Hasbro Metroplex artwork. The logo simply looks amazing. Even the Combiner Wars font looks more impressive than the Transformers font on the same box; that shouldn't be.

Of course, it's all my opinion and I hope you all don't think I'm 'right' or trying to be 'right'. I mean, we have a recognizable font...why change? Did Star Wars change? GI Joe?...well, ok, they did a little. But our iconic font really was great. I hope it comes back at some point.