Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-02-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
Brawn84
Machine War
MP Grimlock

I'm up sizing my collection a little and going with some large size bots like Orion and Igear voyager size seekers, (still need the coneheads), and Hegemon. Was checking out some pics and MP Grimlock seems to look pretty good with them. The question is which one to get? There is a bunch of different versions like Takara, hasbro reissue, TRU exclusive, at a bunch of different prices from $100 - $220 on Kijiji and here.I was wondering which one is the best for the price, or which ones to stay away from?
Also if anyone else has they larger voyagers in their collections, which Dinobots are they using?
Brawn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
pside9
Beasty
Re: MP Grimlock

I had gotten 2 of the Hasbro re-issues and then sold one off for lower than what I paid.

In my case at least, the die-cast claws on it, were quickly oxidizing (I have other toys years older in the same room and their die-cast was fine).

And the plastic that makes up his T-Rex chest/torso (the "wings" in robot mode) are very thin so that you can kind of see light coming through.

I was a bit disappointed so you may be better off getting one of the other releases.
pside9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #3
Chigimus
Masterpiece

^^ That said, if pside9's observations are possibilities that you're not concerned with as your mileage may vary with your copy, and Brawn84 is looking for a MISB Hasbro reissue, I've got one that I'm willing to let go of. *shameless plug*

I'v never opened it so I can't testify as to whether mine has any of the issues pside9 pointed out, but it's still new nonetheless. I don't have a sales thread up yet as I'm still trying to sort out what I want to keep, but MP Grimmy is up on my sales block for sure. Let me know if you're interested.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:02 AM   #4
mr_lude2000
Generation 1

Hey Brawn...so you looking to add a masterpiece to the collection? Nice!

You'll need to do a bit of research on the differences between each one to figure out which one you prefer. For me the big differences are the sharp teeth (takara) vs rounded (hasbro), and the various accessories from each version. Some has lots (takara), some minimal /none.
mr_lude2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #5
Brawn84
Machine War

Not looking to get to many Masterpiece figures, my budget won't allow it lol, just ones that scale well with the larger CHUG figures or that I don't like the regular deluxe or voyager version. Like MP Hot Rod (mp-28?). He looks like he scale pretty good with gen Springer and leader Magnus.
As for Grimlock I'm not looking for a lot of accessories, just sword and gun. This probably isn't a purchase I'll be making till after Christmas but figured I'd start doing some research now and figured this was a good place to start.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:17 AM   #6
optimusb39
Animated

I would say the choice is all about the accessories and whether you want g1 toy or cartoon accuracy. Hasbro versions are barebone extras and are the cheapest. Kijiji is a good place to find one under 100 but the colours vary from the silver and gold chrome finish to a flatter grey and yellowish gold appearence. The cartoon accurate one even sports blue tinted black limbs and a blue transclearent window chest which to me is off putting.
My grimlock of Choice would be the hasbro first release in TakaraTomy colour scheme. No extra accessories other then gun and sword and the colours are mu h closer to g1 toy accuracy.
also on the size of scale I agree that mp grimlock scales well with chug and is a bit too small for mp. The ko oversized king reximes is a much better fit for mp.
another one you could consider is the toyworld core lock aka grimshell figure as a chug scale bot. His Co dinos from that line look pretty good on a chug shelf without being too big or small. They sit quite nicely next to other voyager scale figures and especially lok great in Dino mode next to deluxe cars.
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #7
Brawn84
Machine War

Yeah I figured I would try to hunt down a hasbro one. Which box am I looking for? There is the clear package where he comes in Dino mode and the boxed one that looks like all the mp figures being sold at TRU now with the Japanese writing on them.
As for the rest of the team, I do like the look of Toyworld ones but that purchase is a ways off. Maybe one of these days Takara and Hasbro will put out the rest of the Dinobots that scale with mp Grimlock.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #8
Littlemanjoshua
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawn84 View Post
Yeah I figured I would try to hunt down a hasbro one. Which box am I looking for? There is the clear package where he comes in Dino mode and the boxed one that looks like all the mp figures being sold at TRU now with the Japanese writing on them.
As for the rest of the team, I do like the look of Toyworld ones but that purchase is a ways off. Maybe one of these days Takara and Hasbro will put out the rest of the Dinobots that scale with mp Grimlock.
Quality wise you want the clear box.
Littlemanjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #9
Blitzwing
Armada

I just picked up the 2014 Hasbro release (Japanese Writing Box) for $50 from a Craigslist seller. He was complete with box, but used and he comes with a sword, rifle and crown.

I'm not an expert on the Masterpiece line (the only others I have are Tracks and Streak) but I would say he's definitely not as impressive as the MP Car Bots are. He still looks great in both modes, and I got him for dirt cheap, so I'm not complaining, but I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg for him.

I also wasn't a fan of the chrome paint apps as they look like they won't stand the test of time, unless you never plan on handling him again after putting him on display.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #10
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Check out the very first post in this thread.

My own personal experience with this mold is the 2010 Hasbro release and the Takara Asian Exclusive. There is no doubt that the Takara version was way better in terms of QC. Joints are super tight. Hasbro was loose. Plus the teeth and claws aren't dulled down like on the Hasbro release.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote