Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #21
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician
Re: Upgrade Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Adult fans lying about how much they paid for toys... It'll never get old.
you just need to find a better source as you use one of the most expensive guys (Tony)
Old 07-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #22
Pascal
Banned

I checked the original threads for MP-27. Your preorder was 65 USD (currently about 85 CAD), and the shipping option you used was 1750 yens (currently 22 CAD), you wrote it yourself. Cheapest preorder mentioned in the thread was 98 CAD shipped, most paid slightly over 100 CAD, and me even more since I went with Tony.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #23
elburrito
Animated

Had a few of the older upgrade kits when I still collected classics, protector armour for Hot Rod, City Commander upgrade for Ultra Magnus, SXS kit for Blitzwing, G3 Trailer for Optimus Prime and some others I cannot recall.

The protector armour was quite good as was the city commander set. Both required parts forming and both limited articulation (protector less-so than the city commander). The SXS shoulder fix was awesome for Blitzwing, but head that came with that set was not to my liking, and the weapons were mediocre). The G3 Trailer add-on was great all around.

I have to agree with Masta Skidz though. Unless you are particularly drawn to the look of those toys, they're no competition for the MP's. Also, while the line started out decently, it deteriorated to the point where to me, the current molds look like bigger McDonald's toys from the '80's.

At any rate, I sold my classics (& spawn) after that pip-squeak of a trail-breaker was released (Gen. Trailcutter). Looking back, the mold was actually decent...if Trail breaker was the size of Brawn.

More to the point, I did keep one classics toy and add-on. That is the Maketoys Battle-tanker add on for RTS Laser Optimus Prime. It doesn't fit anywhere in my collection (and didn't really fit with the classics either), but that $120 upgrade kit turned a $9.99 mediocre (or by todays standards 'mind-blowing') laser prime into one of the most playable, fun, and impressive looking pieces I've seen.

Harris Loureiro did a stop motion short with this toy vs. devastator if you want to see him in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHW2gunAm7M

Ultimately, it depends what aesthetic you are looking for. There are upgrade kits for the MP figures too, some crappy, other kind of awesome (MP12 - G2 Sideswipe weapons, bandolier add on). For the older classics though, my vote goes to that Maketoys Battle Tanker add on

Edit: I do have a 2nd set for sale on my b/s/t thread if you are interested in it.

Sale & Trade

Last edited by elburrito; 07-28-2016 at 05:00 PM.
elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #24
elburrito
Animated

As I recall, MP30 (Ratchet) was 7500 yen plus 1120 yen shipping from AmiAmi. Even a few short weeks ago CAD was doing quite a bit better against JPY. At the time, I think the total was about $90 CAD. Not a cheap as a few years ago, but still significant savings over buyng post release. The point being, the PRE-ORDER, PRE-ORDER, PRE-ORDER suggestion for savings on MPs (and probably everything else) is absolutely correct.

As a point of interest, the rate is currently significantly better to convert CAD to USD as opposed to paying in JPY. So much so that, but for the near certain and stiff import fee/duty/tax that UPS demands upon delivery, it would be cheaper to go BBTS or TFSource on quite a few toys.

at least 50% sorry for the off topic post. Can I help it if more than one topic of interest rises in a thread?

Quote:
I checked the original threads for MP-27. Your preorder was 65 USD (currently about 85 CAD), and the shipping option you used was 1750 yens (currently 22 CAD), you wrote it yourself. Cheapest preorder mentioned in the thread was 98 CAD shipped, most paid slightly over 100 CAD, and me even more since I went with Tony.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #25
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburrito View Post
The point being, the PRE-ORDER, PRE-ORDER, PRE-ORDER suggestion for savings on MPs (and probably everything else) is absolutely correct.
It sure is, but even in his wildest dreams, he never paid 75 CAD shipped for Ironhide.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #26
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta_Skidz View Post
My Mp BB was $50 CAD shipped my MP IH was $75 CAD(TYPO MENT MP WJ) shipped my MP so once you factor in that my MP are not much more than my old classics were and IMHO they are way better figures and are worth the higher price tag. With a lot of things in life to me QUALITY is better than QUANTITY any day of the week.
I did specifically say "aside from MP Bumblebee" when I posed my question. So be it Ironhide, Wheeljack ($75 is still more than the $60 I posed in my question too, BTW), or whichever MP except Bumblebee, my point still remains that the combined cost of an average CHUG with an average upgrade kit is still cheaper than MP's.

We are all well aware that pre-ordering MP's from the JDM is the way to go to keep costs down; I'm not arguing that and totally agree. Even still, those MP's costs are usually at a minimum of what works out to be $90 CAD or so? That's 50% more than the average CHUG + kit cost. If you feel 50% "is not much more", than grats on your buying power. I'm truly happy for you that sort of cost difference is no big deal to you. But speaking objectively, not every collector on these boards can afford or justify that increase.

The argument of quality is still subjective and varies widely across every line. Generations Springer = GREAT quality. Masterpiece MP-5 and MP-9 = terrible enough that you're afraid to touch them. My point is there are gems and turds in every scale class so MP doesn't automatically equate to superior quality.

Quote:
Adult fans lying about how much they paid for toys... It'll never get old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta_Skidz View Post
you just need to find a better source as you use one of the most expensive guys (Tony)
Quote:

Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #27
Brawn84
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post

Have to agree!
Anyways FP G3 trailer is on its way. Ordered it from Robotkingdom. It was $65 USD on the site but with exchange rate and shipping from Hong Kong it came to a grand total of $145 cnd. I'm sure I'll get dinged with a duty or tax on top of that!!!!!
Brawn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:17 PM   #28
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawn84 View Post
Have to agree!
Anyways FP G3 trailer is on its way. Ordered it from Robotkingdom. It was $65 USD on the site but with exchange rate and shipping from Hong Kong it came to a grand total of $145 cnd. I'm sure I'll get dinged with a duty or tax on top of that!!!!!
Well here is where the boards can help. The trailer is with a site sponsor Kool Toys (on the right) and he did have it in stock for much less and IIRC he had it at TF Con for slightly less (like $20 less) than what is on his site.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 PM   #29
Brawn84
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
Well here is where the boards can help. The trailer is with a site sponsor Kool Toys (on the right) and he did have it in stock for much less and IIRC he had it at TF Con for slightly less (like $20 less) than what is on his site.
FAWK!!!!!
Oh well have to do more research next time!

On another unrelated topic, I have a for sale thread up now!
Brawn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:33 AM   #30
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawn84 View Post
FAWK!!!!!
Oh well have to do more research next time!

On another unrelated topic, I have a for sale thread up now!
Good stuff. Create a wants thread too. Trust me it'll help
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote