Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
thebobkat
Canadian Slag
Re: Were these ever produced/reissued?

Currently available (retail) North American MPs are Soundwave and Acid Storm, both only at TRU. The Takara line in the last bit has had Soundwave, Sideswipe/Red Alert/Tigertrack (same mold), and currently arriving in stock is Prowl, with mold-mates Bluestreak and Smokescreen coming soon. The second run of Takara Soundwave are starting to come into stock and I believe the second run of Sideswipes were recently done.

There are KO versions of the Sideswipe and Red Alert (I think) are out there for around $40 and most collectors say they are great quality.

All other "recent" (like in the last 3-5 years) MPs would have to be found on secondary market as they're no longer being made (e.g. MP-10 Optimus, Rodimus, Thundercracker, Gimlock, etc.) and prices vary.

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread Updated DEC 28 2023
thebobkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Msol
Titanium

I just want to mention that Platinum Predaking is *awesome*. I got mine a few weeks back and it's really a gem. $120 is cheap considering the next best thing before this guy was the 2010 japanese reissue, which I'd never seen available for anything less than $180.

You can check tfwiki.net for answers to many of your questions.

MP Prowl *just* came out and they're re-releasing Starscream and I think Soundwave. I'm talking Japanese releases only. Soundwave and Acid Storm are currently in stores domestically.
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
venksta
Render Project Creations

Quote:
1) If I wanted to get into the MP line, what current offerings are there available?...that is, what's out there now that is still in production and hasn't gone up in price to reflect the limited edition nature? And is wikipedia a good resource for finding all the MP line, all that's been released up to this point?
For the MP line, you can either collect everything starting with the original MP-01 Convoy/20th Anniversary Optimus Prime, or save yourself a lot of money and start with MP-10 Convoy/TRU Exclusive Optimus Prime (w/ Trailer, Matrix, Spike, ect). Starting with MP-10, Takara sort of rebooted the line so figures are in closer scale, and they actually have a set design style for each figure to be a hybrid between the original toy and the cartoon. None of the MP-03 "Green Scream" Starscream garbage, where they released him in semi-realistic military colors, instead of his traditional color scheme.

If you go with the rebooted part of the line, there is still some figures pre-MP-10 you can collect, if you want. Mainly, MP-08 Grimlock (any version), MP-05 Megatron, MP Skywarp (Walmart Exclusive) and MP-09 Rodimus Convoy/TRU Exclusive Rodimus Prime.

The following figures have been released between Takara and Hasbro after MP-10. Most are available in the after market now. The Hasbro Soundwave, Acid Storm, MP-012T Tigertrack, MP-17 Prowl can be found at retail or online stores. A second run of Mp-12 Soundwave is up for preorder at online stores if you want the japanese version. However, for the price, your better off getting the Hasbro version, which comes with all the cassettes, and a better deal.

MP-10 Convoy
MP Optimus Prime (TRU exclusive)
MP Thundercracker (TRU Exclusive)
MP-11 Starscream
MP-11S Sunstorm
MP-01 Acid Storm
MP-12 Sideswipe
MP-12T Tigertrack
MP-13 Soundwave w/ Laserbeak
MP-02 Soundwave w/ Laserbeak, Rumble, Frenzy, Ravage, Buzzsaw (Hasbro version)
MP-14 Red Alert
MP-15 Rumble & Jaguar (Ravage)
MP-16 Frenzy & Buzzsaw
MP-17 Prowl

MP figures officially announce and up for preorder:

MP-18 Bluestreak
MP-19 Smokescreen
MP-13B Soundblaster w/ Ratbat
MP-12G G2 Sideswipe
MP Optimus Prime - Hasbro Asia Exclusive reissue
MP-11 Starscream - Hasbro Asia Exclusive reissue (Takara version)

Unofficially announced and up for preorder (No official announcement by Takara/Hasbro)

MP-20 Wheeljack
MP-21 Bumblebee
MP-22 Ultra Magnus

Last edited by venksta; 10-05-2013 at 08:05 PM.
venksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

MP 10 /MP 11/ MP 12/ MP 13/ MP 14 are all great molds and there many colour variants are also pretty badass if you cannot afford the Original character but some are getting re-issues MP 10 / MP 11
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:26 AM   #15
CanBot
Cybertron

Great info. I remember a few years back when I noticed that a masterpiece Starscream was available as a TRU exclusive, in the G1 colours (well, cartoon colours I think)...but are the North American MP figures on the same level of detail as the Takara ones released in Asia? Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I didn't think they were. I also remember seeing a Masterpiece Skywarp...which looked pretty cool, and wasn't too crazy expensive. I just wasn't into that character, although I think he was a recolour of MP Starscream from the Takara line.

The youtubes on the latest MP Soundwave looks AWESOME, so that might be worth looking into. Do they ever release the set of cassettes with him? You mentioned the TRU version has cassettes. My 25th anniversary G1 version had four cassettes, but I was a bit bummed to find that neither Frenzy or Rumble were included. And tracking those down is kinda pricey, as I'm not a KO kinda guy.

If I could get a Prime, Megatron, Soundwave and Starcream in the MP line, I think I'd be pretty happy.

edit: so many Soundwaves to choose from...lots of them quite pricey as well. The most recent one at BBTS seems very very cool...but what's Soundwave without the big three cassettes?...I mean Rumble, Ravage and Laserbeak. Those are my faves, anyway! I love the cool 'energon' cubes as well...I'm sure somebody will figure out a way to illuminate them somehow!

Last edited by CanBot; 10-06-2013 at 03:33 AM.
CanBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #16
venksta
Render Project Creations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
Great info. I remember a few years back when I noticed that a masterpiece Starscream was available as a TRU exclusive, in the G1 colours (well, cartoon colours I think)...but are the North American MP figures on the same level of detail as the Takara ones released in Asia? Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I didn't think they were. I also remember seeing a Masterpiece Skywarp...which looked pretty cool, and wasn't too crazy expensive. I just wasn't into that character, although I think he was a recolour of MP Starscream from the Takara line.

The youtubes on the latest MP Soundwave looks AWESOME, so that might be worth looking into. Do they ever release the set of cassettes with him? You mentioned the TRU version has cassettes. My 25th anniversary G1 version had four cassettes, but I was a bit bummed to find that neither Frenzy or Rumble were included. And tracking those down is kinda pricey, as I'm not a KO kinda guy.

If I could get a Prime, Megatron, Soundwave and Starcream in the MP line, I think I'd be pretty happy.
Best to go with the Hasbro TRU exclusive MP-02 Soundwave, out right now at Toys R Us. Or, you can save yourself the hassle and order him here:

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index....uctId=20083786

That is the best deal you'll get, unless you wait for coupons or a sale. The Takara cassettes came in two packs. MP-15 and MP-16, and then Laserbeak who came with MP-13 Soundwave. Buying those two cassette sets alone (around $65 each) is the same as buying the Hasbro Soundwave release, which gives you all the cassettes. The only cassette you will have to get later is Ratbat, who is being released with MP-13B Soundblaster repaint next year.

There was a Walmart exclusive MP Starscream in his G1 colors, the one you saw. It had a black wash effect on some white areas. Ehobby released this over in Japan, but with out the black wash.

Quick story. When MP Starscream was being designed, they brought in a famous Macross designer to make his own take on the figure, and they ended up changing what was originally shown. The original MP-03 design is the second version. The MP-11 version is based off the original design which was first revealed, ages ago. The main difference is the hip kibbles, which MP-03 has. If you see the photos, you'll definitely notice them. I think everyone I've met hates them on the MP-03 design.

The following releases were done using the MP-03 "Starscream" mold.

Takara:

MP-03 - Starscream
MP-06 - Skywarp
MP-07 - Thundercracker
Ehobby Exclusive MP Starscream - G1 colors

Hasbro"
Walmart Exclusive MP Starscream - G1 colors w/ black wash
Walmart Exclusive MP Skywarp

Releases using the MP-11 version of the mold.

Takara:

MP-11 Starscream
MP-11S Sunstorm
MP-11A Acid Storm (just announced)

Hasbro:
MP-01 Acid Storm (TRU Exclusive)

Ideally, if you wanted, you can go with the MP-11, and TRU MP Thundercracker, than track down the Walmart MP Skywarp. The Walmart version has a better toon style color deco, while the Takara MP-06 is not toon accurate. Or you can wait it out and see if Takara will release new MP Thundercracker and MP Skywarps using the MP-11 mold, which has a high chance of happening.

Last edited by venksta; 10-06-2013 at 03:48 AM.
venksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #17
CanBot
Cybertron

Cool info, thanks a lot! Love the stories, too. I am definitely getting itchy trigger on that Soundwave at TRU!...awesome price, I'd say...but I feel bad that I already have the G1 25th edition. I guess I could always find somebody here to pick it up, lol I don't want to get into having too many dupicates, even though they're quite different.

1) Is this new Soundwave the same that I saw reviewed recently on youtube, with a earphone jack that actually fits real plugs?

2) Off topic, but is this Bruticus vs Grimlock a good way to get an actual cartoon accurate Bruticus combiner set?...or is it a smaller version, new design? It's the Platinum version, so part of me thinks it's a redesign.

edit: 3) Does shipping from TRU usually include the hasbro box? I used to think that was enough to protect the item inside, but a few years ago I picked up a sealed box boardgame on ebay and inside, there still managed to get some kind of stacking dent. I'm not too picky about the box condition, but so long as it's not covered in shipping stickers and other crap. I'm holding my breath for my sears incoming Metroplex!...this Soundwave is going to be too hard to pass up, though. Free shipping at that price, at least!...any chance some sales might come up soon?

Last edited by CanBot; 10-06-2013 at 06:06 AM.
CanBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #18
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

I wouldn't pass up the chance to own MP Soundwave from TRU. It's a great figure and with five cassettes to boot. Personally I didn't really like how they did the Frumble MP cassettes in this set. I actually prefer my G1 cassettes (that's the old school talking).

If you are looking for official G1 Frumble cassettes I suggest you go the Takara Encore 19 route. They are getting rarer to find but you get Rumble, Frenzy, Overkill and Laserbeak. And they don't have that pink sticker on them like many of the newer reissues have. Laserbeak's weapons aren't shortened either.

Chimungmung has a sale right now for $45. NOTE: all G1 cassettes will fit into MP Soundwave which is cool, in fact you can fit three at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venksta View Post

There was a Walmart exclusive MP Starscream in his G1 colors, the one you saw. It had a black wash effect on some white areas. Ehobby released this over in Japan, but with out the black wash.

Quick story. When MP Starscream was being designed, they brought in a famous Macross designer to make his own take on the figure, and they ended up changing what was originally shown. The original MP-03 design is the second version. The MP-11 version is based off the original design which was first revealed, ages ago. The main difference is the hip kibbles, which MP-03 has. If you see the photos, you'll definitely notice them. I think everyone I've met hates them on the MP-03 design.

The following releases were done using the MP-03 "Starscream" mold.

Takara:

MP-03 - Starscream
MP-06 - Skywarp
MP-07 - Thundercracker
Ehobby Exclusive MP Starscream - G1 colors

Hasbro"
Walmart Exclusive MP Starscream - G1 colors w/ black wash
Walmart Exclusive MP Skywarp

Releases using the MP-11 version of the mold.

Takara:

MP-11 Starscream
MP-11S Sunstorm
MP-11A Acid Storm (just announced)

Hasbro:
MP-01 Acid Storm (TRU Exclusive)

Ideally, if you wanted, you can go with the MP-11, and TRU MP Thundercracker, than track down the Walmart MP Skywarp. The Walmart version has a better toon style color deco, while the Takara MP-06 is not toon accurate. Or you can wait it out and see if Takara will release new MP Thundercracker and MP Skywarps using the MP-11 mold, which has a high chance of happening.

This was a great summary. Thanks

Last edited by MULTIPLEX; 10-06-2013 at 08:41 AM.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #19
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
Cool info, thanks a lot! Love the stories, too. I am definitely getting itchy trigger on that Soundwave at TRU!...awesome price, I'd say...but I feel bad that I already have the G1 25th edition. I guess I could always find somebody here to pick it up, lol I don't want to get into having too many dupicates, even though they're quite different.

1) Is this new Soundwave the same that I saw reviewed recently on youtube, with a earphone jack that actually fits real plugs?

2) Off topic, but is this Bruticus vs Grimlock a good way to get an actual cartoon accurate Bruticus combiner set?...or is it a smaller version, new design? It's the Platinum version, so part of me thinks it's a redesign.

edit: 3) Does shipping from TRU usually include the hasbro box? I used to think that was enough to protect the item inside, but a few years ago I picked up a sealed box boardgame on ebay and inside, there still managed to get some kind of stacking dent. I'm not too picky about the box condition, but so long as it's not covered in shipping stickers and other crap. I'm holding my breath for my sears incoming Metroplex!...this Soundwave is going to be too hard to pass up, though. Free shipping at that price, at least!...any chance some sales might come up soon?
1) Probably. MP Soundwave is very different than your 25th anniversary (reissued G1) sounwave. He may have a similar transformation (although it is different), but he is a completely different toy, different size, and the cassettes are completely different (and actually transform three-dimensionally (instead of into flat characters). He is well worth it.

2) No. The Bruticus versus Grimlock is based on their Fall of Cybertron (game) designs, and most people feel that Bruticus is pretty weak. If you're going to get the set, maybe get it on sale.

3) They will ship you the item in the box the same way you would see it in store, except it will be repackaged in larger box. It's hard to tell what kind of shelf ware or damage it might have until you get it. Most have some kind of damage to them. I bought an extra and the box is in good shape, but shipping out west would probably not be worth it.

The last sale they had on transformers they excluded "pricey" figures by putting a price cap on what the sale applied to. I would expect they will continue that until they forget they have soundwave.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
justprime
Animated

to add to the combiners the Japanese g1 market had leokaiser.landcross, roadceasar,raiden, dino king,and 5 micomaster combiners, sixtrain,sixturbo,sixliner,sixwing and sixbuilder some of these mico combiners were repainted/reissued 2004
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote