Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Collections Spotlight

Old 10-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
Megatron75
Alternator
Re: Omegatron's new Collection Cave

Wow...what an amazing collection. Thanks for sharing.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #12
Omegatron
Gen 1

Thank you all for your kind words. I'll continue to post close ups of the rest of the collection, mostly because I've been waiting years to do this, so hopefully that's not too indulgent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
I was very curious to see your collection setup. Very nice!

Did you incorporate any special features based on your museum/archival experience?
To answer your question, yes but nothing really fancy, more like design decisions that were made with this in mind. The examples I can think of:

1) The floor is raised about a foot off the original floor which is cement. This was an unfinished space in an older house so this let me do a couple of things. It meant that I could make the floor completely level which helped to level the shelves. It also mean that flooding is less of an issue as the room next to this one does have a water source in it and an outside door. In fact the floor has about a 1 inch gap on the bottom which leads to a drain to help deal with this.

2) The shelves are all metal and glass, so no wood, so no off-gassing.

3) The shelves all have adjustable feet so I could level them perfectly and reduce the chance that something would roll or topple off a shelf.

4) The shelves are all anchored to each other where I could and all are anchored to the wall with at least two metal brackets and into a stud. This makes the shelved stable and means that they don't vibrate when I walk around the room. I tested this by jumping up and down in front of them and nothing moves.

5) The lighting is all LED 5200k natural light. This means that everything looks natural but there is no UV being given off. I also rewired the room to put the lights on a separate switch (they were shared with the room next door). This means that when I'm not in the room the lights are off, so no light damage happens.

6) I replaced the window with one that filters UV and have a blind over it which I keep drawn to cut down on natural light. There is also nothing directly in front of it. I would have removed the window but I need it to provide air for the air conditioner.

7) The air conditioner is a portable dripless unit with a strong fan and a digital display and thermostat. I keep it permanently set to 22C and it maintained that without issue all summer.

8) The heater is a portable infrared unit also with a digital thermostat and a fan. I also keep it set to 22C. This means no forced air and therefore less dust.

9) I have a humidifier with a digital readout I'll start using in a few weeks when the humidity finally drops this year. I'll keep it set to about 50%

10) I should have mentioned, this all works because I added a new floor, ceiling and new paneling over old drywall and then insulated the wall, ceiling and floor, so the temperature and humidity can be kept very consistent. This sounds like overkill and I wouldn't have done it except I had to refinish the space anyway so I took the opportunity.

Basically that's it, nothing too unusual but I think it all helps.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #13
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus

My God!
This is one of the most breathtaking things I've EVER seen

What I love most about this, is the swivel chair so you can just sit there and soak it all in!

How often do you have to dust? (serious question)
and how long does it take you!?
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #14
urfwc
Beasty

[QUOTE=zuffyprime
and how long does it take you!?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing in regards to the dust.

Also you had mentioned lighting being led, I presumed you meant just as for lighting the display? and not in the core of the space? I can't make out what lighting your using in the center of the room.

Reason I ask is I was wondering if led consumed the total space, Core lighting for the room and led for lighting the display, in you opinion would the led's cause any harm to the figures ?

And thanks for sharing, beautiful setup and collection.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=65059

Last edited by urfwc; 10-20-2017 at 02:34 PM.
urfwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #15
Omegatron
Gen 1

Quote:
and how long does it take you!?
Quote:
Also you had mentioned lighting being led, I presumed you meant just as for lighting the display? and not in the core of the space? I can't make out what lighting your using in the center of the room.

Reason I ask is I was wondering if led consumed the total space, Core lighting for the room and led for lighting the display, in you opinion would the led's cause any harm to the figures ?
I dusted everything when I first set up the room so I don't yet know how often I'll need to dust the new space. I don't use forced air for heat so the only dust in the room should be generated in the room and not spread from other parts of the house so that will help. I also find my collection does not dust up that badly. Anyway, its best for the toys if you don't dust them too often. There is nothing really dangerous about normal household dust (to a plastic and metal toy anyway), and dusting introduces the chance to break something, so really I'll only dust when it becomes unsightly.

Lighting. Yes everything is LED. A couple of the displays do have their own lights (also LEDs) but the majority of light in the room is from the overhead track lights. I have two sets of light tracks arranged in a rectangular pattern for a total of 16 individual lights which can be individually directed where I want them. That's tons to light everything up well. I should also have mentioned the lights are also on a dimer, so if I don't need the full light I can reduce them.

LEDs really don't produce UV (a very small amount, but effectively not worth worrying about). You can still damage your toys from visible light though (not as badly as UV but you can) so really the best approach is when you leave the room turn off the lights. LEDs also produce very little heat which helps as well.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #16
Omegatron
Gen 1

Alright. The Classics Collection.

classics Shelf 1

classics shelf 2

classics shelf 3

classics shelf 4

The big guys

classics. All of these represent characters who also have other classics molds that I think fit better.
I consider these guys undersized and oversized versions.

classics. I call these guys removed from paradise because they have been replaced
(in my opinion) by better examples of the characters using other molds.

More removed from paradise.

Last edited by Omegatron; 10-20-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #17
Omegatron
Gen 1

O.K. a little more of the collection. Starting with Beast Wars. I apologize for the photograph through the glass, but this case is touchy and a didn't want to have to stand everything up again because it fell over due to the vibration of pulling the door open.

beast wars 1

beast wars 2

And for the heck of it Kreo.

The large sized Kreo's

The kreons

Last edited by Omegatron; 10-21-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #18
Msol
Titanium

Lovely setup, but that chair's got to go!
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #19
Omegatron
Gen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msol View Post
Lovely setup, but that chair's got to go!

Aww... I like the chair. But then, I have never really been known for my keen fashion sense. Check out the slippers.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #20
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Thanks for the great answer! I remember you discussing lighting quite a bit in other threads, so I was happy to have some details about what you did in your collection room.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote