Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #21
EnragedCoconut
Machine War
Re: operation make peace tfcon 2011

Dear God. Is she of adult age? With reasonable mental capacity? And the internet? Tell her to entertain her damned self. Its YOUR weekend.

This entire thread, and the concept itself, just irritates the shit out of me. Maybe its because i'm an only child and can enteratain myself in dark room with nothing but a cardboard box for atleast an hour but wtf? Spouses aren't children and shouldn't need to be babysat like one, nor should their actions beget babysitting.

My husband follows me to Botcon every year and has zero interest in Transformers. He accompanies me around the dealer room for as long as it suits him, usually spends a little time shopping for birthday/Christmas/whatever presents for me that he squirrels away until needed and then heads off to do whatever it is that he wants to do. Whether its finding a local arcade, pool, bar, downtown or whatever.

Same goes for me. When I go with him to his pinball events, I realise, God forbid, he's going to spend the majority of his time playing pinball. What a concept. I wander around as long as it suits me then head off to do whatever until dinner time. I've discovered amazing places in all sorts of cities by just hopping in the car, googling the #1 rated thing to do on Trip Advisor and hitting the gas. Its not difficult and shouldn't take a movement to make it happen.

There's no drama. There's no boredom. We're happy when each other are happy and realise that its not every day we're given the opportunity to spend 100% of our time on our hobbies.

10 years, 3 months strong so far. Must be doing something right.

Ganging up? Seriously? Unbelievable.

EC

Last edited by EnragedCoconut; 08-29-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #22
TheLogicalProwl
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnragedCoconut View Post
Dear God. Is she of adult age? With reasonable mental capacity? And the internet? Tell her to entertain her damned self. Its YOUR weekend.
Clap, clap, clap. Exactly. If your significant other is so damn self-centred and shallow that he/she needs to be entertained 24-7, then that is really, really immature. Plain and simple.

And yes, all relationships are give and take. You give a little, get a little, everyone is happy.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #23
TheLogicalProwl
Beast Machine

welcome to the wondeful world of women
kinda like the ol' "which restaurant" or "where should we go today" precurser to an argument.[/QUOTE]

Well, if "women" want the relationship to work, drop the "oh you should no what I am thinking" B.S. Men are humans, just like you, and can't read minds. If you want/don't want something, say so.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #24
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

as I said, rent a car and then they can do what they want. No need to plan a play date for them.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #25
chans formers
raff ow roud

whoa,whoa,whoa!
calm down guys(and girls).
this thread is meant more as a "thank you" and in no way shape or form is it meant to be slanderous or sexist or poking fun at one's mental capacity.

"yes", they should be able to figure out what they can do on their own,but if we do it for them,there's no worries,no questions,etc.
a nice day for the others while we can also have our fun.

like i said,alot of them make sacrifices for us all year long to enjoy our hobby,
what's the harm in doing something nice for them?
it may seem trivial(or childish),but sometimes all it takes is one nice gesture

if you're still wondering what the thanks are actually for,let me ask you this...

how many of you out there get a family member to drive you for a few hours to get to the convention?

how many of you have went to the convention with your other,all the while he/she stays quietly by your side as you dig through parts bins,go to panels or even sit there and b.s. about tf's with a member you just met off the boards?(keep in mind,most of our others literally have no clue what we're talking about when we complain about how classics megs should have been designed/colored differently)even though it's pretty much morse code to them,they still suck it up and stay quietly by our sides.

how many of us have planned trips to the store specifically to hit the toy isles?(don't lie)

how many of us have hidden purchases?

it boils down to just plain old saying thanks for putting up with our cr@p
Old 08-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #26
TheLogicalProwl
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
if you're still wondering what the thanks are actually for,let me ask you this...

how many of you out there get a family member to drive you for a few hours to get to the convention?

how many of you have went to the convention with your other,all the while he/she stays quietly by your side as you dig through parts bins,go to panels or even sit there and b.s. about tf's with a member you just met off the boards?(keep in mind,most of our others literally have no clue what we're talking about when we complain about how classics megs should have been designed/colored differently)even though it's pretty much morse code to them,they still suck it up and stay quietly by our sides.

how many of us have planned trips to the store specifically to hit the toy isles?(don't lie)

how many of us have hidden purchases?

it boils down to just plain old saying thanks for putting up with our cr@p
Answers to your questions:
Well, TFCon is in Toronto so it is not a big deal for us. But I did drag my gf to a conference (work related) in Montreal. No big deal.

While at TFCon, I don't turn my back on my gf, even though I am not really paying attention to her. I did, and always do, explain the ins and outs of transformers so she knows what I am looking for and why it is "important". In short, I do try and engage her and explain to her.

I plan trips to the toy store all the time. I don't give my gf crap for spending a lot of time at the animal shelter (her passion).

ANd I don't hide my purchases. It's my money and I spend it as I see fit. Mind you, TFs are just a hobby and I do buy them after my bills and food is paid for. If you are doing the same, then there should be no problem.

And my gf says that collecting TFs is not crap. She knows it is one of my passions and she likes seeing me happy when I pick up a new figure that I like. Mind you, I don't make crazy demands on her with my hobby (and no, a weekend once a year is not a wacky demand).
Old 08-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #27
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLogicalProwl View Post
I plan trips to the toy store all the time. I don't give my gf crap for spending a lot of time at the animal shelter (her passion).
Ahaha what

You say you don't give her crap for being a charitable person who cares about the suffering of animals and compare that to a grown man buying children's toys for himself?

I mean there is NOTHING glamorous about an animal shelter, it's not like it's some great luxury to be there

Compare this to structuring your life around the search for and collection of plastic robots

Are you even thinking?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #28
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus

Chans,
honestly bro, not bringing your wife to the convention is probably the best idea.

Supporting your husband/wife doesn't have to equal enjoying the same hobbies as them.

My wife and I have different hobbies. She came with me for several years to TFcon, but after a while it was pretty apparent that she was bored. It wasn't fun for her, but she was doing it b/c she wanted to support me

Now when I go to TFcon, she goes out for dinner with the girls and spends some time with our friends.

Also, I don't feel like I'm having worry about how she's doing. That way we both have a great weekend!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #29
plowking
wanna be Canadian

For some to come in here and spout off stuff like "immature" and "baby sitting"....seriously? WTF?

I just don't understand the mentality of folks some times.

Whats wrong with a couple of guys getting together, pooling some loot, getting a charter bus/limo whatever you wanna call it, make sure the wives have extra spending money, and sending them on a days event, with other women that have the same thing in common, without worrying about having to drive, getting lost, parking, gas, whatever....??

Self center much?...

This is a suggestion thread for those that are interested in doing such a thing. If you aren't interested in this, or feel that your other is a "big girl" and "don't need no play-date" planned, why even waste your time, and mine, by posting here?

WAIT!...issa wobot anna twuck?!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #30
Witterquick
Unabashed Cosmos Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking View Post

This is a suggestion thread for those that are interested in doing such a thing. If you aren't interested in this, or feel that your other is a "big girl" and "don't need no play-date" planned, why even waste your time, and mine, by posting here?

Hear hear! My thoughts exactly.
Closed Thread