Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-29-2023, 07:49 AM   #1
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Thoughts on new Retro G1 releases?

So I was perusing the aisles the other day and I saw both Hound and Starscream. Now of course that isn't anything new, but for the first time I was both tempted and turned off by the releases. Before I was either kind of excited, or indifferent.

So it got me to wondering what you guys think of these releases so far?

Personally I really like the attempt at cartoon colours to differentiate them from previous releases. However the boxes and price don't do anything for me. I mean the art is nice, but the plastic/windowless boxes are terrible for me. I have kept all my reissue purchases over the years either MISB, or MIB (opened and displayed, but then back in the box to display). So this new format takes away that aspect for me.

THen add in the price.......I mean nearly $50????!!! C'mon man that is way too much, especially considering how often reissues go on sale/clearance.

Anyway I think they were smart to try something different with the colour schemes, even if I don't like all of them (Hot Rod), but pricing and packaging have really hurt my desire to get any of them.

Although I might cave on Thundercracker if I see him just to add him to the collection since I don't have a G1 version anymore.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:52 AM   #2
Soundwaves
Robot Master
Re: Thoughts on new Retro G1 releases?

These prices are just the new reality. As are the plasticless boxes.

So many missing heads or accessories on the window plastic free stuff that I'm glad they went windowless on these.

Maybe the trailerless prime and hot rod shelfwarmed a little but the rest definitely did not, at least here in bc.

You can always buy 2 and keep 1 misb with one to display. This is usually my preference anyways.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 11:28 AM   #3
steamwhistle
Crossover

For me, the worst part about the new packaging is the thinner cardstock material used. It is too easy to crush or tear the boxes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 11:51 AM   #4
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

I have the originals but can't say no to redecos of my first true love
Old 04-29-2023, 12:04 PM   #5
imfallenangel
Cybertron

The only one I've ever picked up was the last Starscream because of it on liquidation and came with the mini Megatron, and I just said "why not".

I don't really have nostalgia affecting me outside of simply enjoying TFs as a whole and fine with newer versions that provides the proper look with proper articulation, which to me is the important part as even 40 years ago, I hated the bricks and lack of articulation we had... with some Gobots and of course Jetfire being the better figures due to this. And aside the Dinobots that had decent (for the time) articulation, I never managed to get a set, but POTP (and now my GCreations) filled that slot.

That said, looking at this new round of retros, I will say that I not a fan of these boxes at all, I always considered a HUGE part of the retro thing was the old school box art and design.

The price thing is all about Hasbro knows that it can milk the fans (who else are going to buy these), and it's sad to see them being so darn nasty about it.
Old 04-29-2023, 12:06 PM   #6
Banshee
Energon

Not a fan of the chrome-less decos, so these new reissues are a pass for me.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:29 PM   #7
Crobot91
Metroplex

I'm enjoying these redecos a lot. Hoping Skywarp comes up so I can finish up the cartoon-accurate seekers.

Would be nice to see G2 Megatron released as part of this line with a colour scheme that reflects the cartoon. No chance of G1 Megatron ever being reissued in North America.

EDIT: Something like this...

https://static.seibertron.com/images...1-megatron.jpg

Last edited by Crobot91; 04-29-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Crobot91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 01:00 PM   #8
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

I have Hound and Hot Rod and really enjoy the new decos. Been trying to track down Thundercracker but no luck so far. Might even sell off my original deco Hound now.

Also, the new decos have sparked my love for TF again. This is my first post in 5 years....
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 02:33 PM   #9
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by razin View Post
I have Hound and Hot Rod and really enjoy the new decos. Been trying to track down Thundercracker but no luck so far. Might even sell off my original deco Hound now.

Also, the new decos have sparked my love for TF again. This is my first post in 5 years....

WOW!!

Welcome back to posting.

Glad to hear people's opinions as I am never sure what people are feeling about these in general.
Old 04-29-2023, 02:36 PM   #10
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwaves View Post
These prices are just the new reality. As are the plasticless boxes.

So many missing heads or accessories on the window plastic free stuff that I'm glad they went windowless on these.

Maybe the trailerless prime and hot rod shelfwarmed a little but the rest definitely did not, at least here in bc.

You can always buy 2 and keep 1 misb with one to display. This is usually my preference anyways.

I think it is also a bit of location, location, location.

Here in the Ottawa/Gatineau area I found lots of Starscream and Hot Rod on sale when they were last reissued. Also snagged a few of the minibots on sale as well.

Prime shelfwarmed hard without his trailer, but Devastator came and went.

So yeah it is kind of hit and miss depending on where you are located.

Personally for Starscream and Hound I might be tempted if they go below $30. Thundercracker may be more of an impulse buy due to replacing the older ones.