Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad
Talking Your Childhood "Holy Grail" Transformers?

ITT: What were some of your childhood holy grails, and did you ever manage to get em?

For example, Soundwave was always my favorite as a kid, so naturally he's the one I wanted a toy of. However, Soundwave (along with most everything else) wasn't available where I lived, much of which had to do with stuff getting phased out by the early 90s. As a result, I basically wrote this off as something that didn't exist & moved onto wanting an Optimus Prime. I managed to get this from a place called Consumers Warehouse (or rather, picked it up there via a cataloge order), and he still holds this status for me today.

Then when I got a little older & Beast Wars came out, Dinobot was the one I wanted hella hard, and after countless trips to stores, I finally found him, and I'm actually surprised that none of his parts are missing/that he's not totally destroyed because of how much I played with it.

I didn't really care about anything else until the Transmetals came out, but then came TM Tarantulas. Even after getting Depth Charge who's still one of my favorites today & who I've managed to keep in near perfect shape, I still urned for the treacherous spider for years to come (even when I didn't so much care about Transformers).

Fast forward to a few months ago when I got back into things & realized that I could buy shit online other than Yugioh cards, and now he too is mine.

... so yeah, what were your holy grail transformers as kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
juxtapose519
Robot Master
Re: Your Childhood "Holy Grail" Transformers?

I was just young enough that I only caught the tail end of the G1 toyline, so I had a bunch of Pretenders, Micromasters and Actionmasters. The rest was mostly G2 and BW. As you can imagine, that made just about every character from the show my holy grail. I guess I'm making up for it 25 years later.

But if I had to pick one grail from any series, it would have to be the Technodrome. I had pretty much every Ninja Turtle ever made because they were all I ever wanted. But sadly, the Technodrome was too expensive so I never got it. My asshole best friend got one and I was SOOO jealous.

Trade | Cybertron Feedback | TFW Feedback | Collection
juxtapose519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
tusko
Classic

Megatron
Optimus Prime
Skyfire
Bumbleebee
Grimlock
Soundwave
Skywarp
Cassette bots

... got them all 25 years later!!

Only grails left are Trypticon and Scorponok.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

As a kid, it would have been Blitzwing. When I was young I never got to choose my TF's, they were just given to me as gifts for xmas/bdays etc, I never even saw a G1 display . I do recall asking for Blitzwing though and being told it wasn't available. Luck was on my side though, some kid, dunno who, came to my house and had one with him. When they left, Blitzwing was forgotten. Never saw the kid again, so I considered it a parting gift.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Vain
Spin Drive Smasher

G1 Sunstreaker, never got him as a Child and still don't own him as an adult. It's quite sad that I never owned the original figure of my favorite character who has been such as far as I remember.

"They can't beat the Best"

Follow me on Instagram: @Dropdead_Charlie
Game with me on PsN: Dropdead_Charlie

-------------------------------------
Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Supernova
Second star to the right

Honestly...the entire 1985 catalog. I would stare at both the Autobot and Decepticon sides and want them ALL!

Transformers and Other Stuff For Sale

My Feedback Thread
Supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
Sureshot22
look behind you. tee hee
Sureshot22's Ebay Auctions

as a kid my most sought after was the aerialbot gift set.

in toronto it was pretty much non-existant or from what i took from my parents going crazy trying to find me one for what seemed like months.

then one day my day calling around said. "get your coat and get in the truck, fast"

i said ok? and we drove to consumers distributing (is what its called not warehouse)

my dad had found the only one left in Toronto area he said and they were only holding it for like an hour.

i still remember everything about that day to this day. its probably my most memorable TF experience/memory.

PSN ID: SURESHOT22

FEEDBACK THREAD http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9366
Sureshot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Omega Supreme, I got many transformers as a kid but never him.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by razin View Post
As a kid, it would have been Blitzwing. When I was young I never got to choose my TF's, they were just given to me as gifts for xmas/bdays etc, I never even saw a G1 display . I do recall asking for Blitzwing though and being told it wasn't available. Luck was on my side though, some kid, dunno who, came to my house and had one with him. When they left, Blitzwing was forgotten. Never saw the kid again, so I considered it a parting gift.
Ha!

I never had a "real" one, but I've still got one of those "Robot attack" KOs or whatever they were called. I got it from a dollar store for like 3 bucks, and it's an exact remold of the original. The only difference is that its got blue instead of purple & silver legs. I actually like it better than the licensed copies, and I remember my dad shitting on me for the entire ride back about how I shouldn't have bought a fake piece of crap. I still have the gun that it came with, too.

Also in regards to "parting gifts", that's basically how I got my Hero Megatron & G1 Rodimus. I met these two kids at school & we decided to trade shit for a weekend. It was those two guys for my Jazz, Sideswipe, Roller & some dollar store toy. As it turns out, these kids lost a bunch of my shit, gave me back Sideswipe missing its window panels, said they'd bring the rest on the next day... but never returned.

In other words, I ended up unintentionally trading G2 Jazz, Roller & the dollar store thing for Rodimus & Megs which I was cool with.

... oh & about the catalogue, I think it would've been a HUGE mistake for me parents to get one of those for me, as I'd have gone as crazy for this shit as I did for legos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
XII
Generation 1

Mine was Metroplex, I loved that toy! He was big and awesome with three modes. Still wish I had one, but sadly my sister stepped on him while she was learning how to walk and snapped him in two. Saddest event of my childhood.

Tags
childhood, grail, past, wanted, young