Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Protoman
The Legend
Re: Beast Wars pricing in the 90's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
See here is where we differ, I don't go by what the size class was called, but how large the figures are comparatively to the modern figures.

The Mega Size-Class of the Beast Era is more akin to our Deluxe scale nowadays than it ever was to the Megas of Energon. Toy Scale Wise, BW Inferno is roughly as large as, say, Armada Demolishor or Cybertron Hot Shot.

They are nowhere near as large as the later Megas that came out in height or bulk.

BW Ultras pretty much can meet eye to eye the Voyagers of this new era.

At least I want to say this, but I could be a bit off, as height in figures have never been consistent even in their own line.

Still, I'm pretty sure I never once spent 40$ on those BW figures in the Ultra scale, either I got them on sale more often than not, or I had a lot more money than I realised with my mediocre High School Cafeteria job.
Size Classes were invented by Kenner (part of Hasbro) in 1995 to be price points and simplify the case assortment and store pricing process , but those price points never had any link to the size of the toy (See Beast Machines Mega Class Megatron as a prime example)
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
The Mega Size-Class of the Beast Era is more akin to our Deluxe scale nowadays than it ever was to the Megas of Energon. Toy Scale Wise, BW Inferno is roughly as large as, say, Armada Demolishor or Cybertron Hot Shot.

They are nowhere near as large as the later Megas that came out in height or bulk.

BW Ultras pretty much can meet eye to eye the Voyagers of this new era.
No way dude. Do you actually own a BW Inferno?

Deluxes have stayed about the same size and some of those BW mega's were friggin' huge! Like B'Boom for instance.

And I definitely think we got more bang for our buck out of the old Ultra's than we ever have out of the Voyagers. The Voyager size class now seems more akin to the BW mega's.

There is no way you can stand PRID Megatron next to BW Deapthcharge, Tigerhawk, or Rampage and tell me that they are essentially the same size class.

OpOp's Super class is obvious what they merged with the supreme class to make the current leader class.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
purple-bot
Yeah, I made that.

Quote:
You are waaaaaay off. Demiloshers head comes up to Inferno's mid chest, so that is wrong. BW megas are roughly the height of classics voyagers (Prime). BW Ultras (Primal and Megs) are about the same height as the universe Ultras (Powerglide and Silverbolt)
Old 03-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
Sideswipe
Break it down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple-bot View Post
You are waaaaaay off. Demiloshers head comes up to Inferno's mid chest, so that is wrong. BW megas are roughly the height of classics voyagers (Prime). BW Ultras (Primal and Megs) are about the same height as the universe Ultras (Powerglide and Silverbolt)
This.

Inferno is nowhere NEAR a deluxe sized figure.

From any line.

Ever.
Sideswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #15
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe View Post
This.

Inferno is nowhere NEAR a deluxe sized figure.

From any line.

Ever.
Really? Guys, I hate to break it to ya, but I just pulled Inferno out from storage. He may be taller than the Prime deluxes in my collection, but his height is equal to a good number of the Animated figures on my shelf.

In fact, he and Samurai Prowl are relatively close to the same size. Therefore my initial statement stands. Beast Wars Inferno height wise is similar in scale with certain Deluxes. I'd have to get Demolishor out of storage too to see if I was originaly correct in my observation. But not at the moment.

As a matter of fact, Scorponok happens to be shorter than him. Unless you count his tail, so Scorponok from Beast Wars is roughly identical in height to BW Deluxes.

Last edited by Scrapper6; 03-17-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Scrapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #16
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Well, Megas have always seemed to be somewhere in between Deluxe & Voyager to me, and I think part of that has to do with how many of them simply weren't as bulky as the vehicle formers. Actually, even the ones like Polar Claw were still smaller than typical voyagers, so I think the comparison still stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #17
Protoman
The Legend

I think Animated is a bad example as they used a form of mass shifting that made for some BIG deluxes (IE Lockdown) and some short Voyagers (Bulkhead)
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #18
purple-bot
Yeah, I made that.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #19
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Well, Inferno's also got quite the large ass to take into account, and like Protoman said, Animated probably isn't the best measure. Actually, robot modes in general probably aren't as good measures as the alt modes are in some cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #20
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple-bot View Post
I notice how you didn't include any actual Voyagers or Megas of the Energon line in that photo.

So Inferno qualifies as a slightly taller Deluxe than average, that doesn't make him as tall as Armada Red Alert, Scavenger or Energon Ironhide.

Things are what they are. I'm still going to say he's more in line with deluxe scale than Mega/Voyager of the modern era. Even Prime, Prime is taller than him.

Tags
90s, beast wars, beasties, canadian, pricing