Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #61
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con
Re: Do you ever buy a figure only because everyone wants it?

Not usually, but sometimes if I need a plastic fix and I haven't gotten anything new in a while or I've had a crappy day, I'll pick up something I originally wasn't going to for one reason or another. Sometimes they turn out to be great purchases (Generations Drift) and sometimes not so much (ROTF Dirge).
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #62
sarmick01
Canadian Slag

I was like that with Animated Arcee, got her and thought, meh, why is everyone so ga-ga for this and then traded both I had for an MP Grimlock.
sarmick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #63
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Zero View Post
I have an RiD Storm Jet, MISB on my wall. The only figure I had that I kept MISB. Mainly because he was in such demand at the time.

I love the Jet Storm mold, so I'm not complaining. Still -- seems silly now but I can't bear to take him out of the package.

BHAWHAHAHHAHAHHA!!

I too bought him because he was supposed to be rare and I too still have him in the package cuase i just can't bare to open him. I guess must know somethng that others do not...

As for me, I have been influanced as far as when I buy a figure. I will usually buy every mold eventually, but depending on the hype of a figure I may get it sooner than later. I hve stayed clear of the g1 re-issues thus far though....
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:10 AM   #64
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Human Alliance Bumblebee.

I hunted high and low when he first came out, tinkered with him for a month, even did the leg mod thing to make him more "screen accurate"...but the frustration I experienced everytime I tried to convert him reminded me of why I traded away all of my Binaltechs. So I traded HA-BB away and never looked back.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:54 AM   #65
CBII
Animated

I want to say no, but that would be a lie.

When I first got back into collecting I'd grab anything especialy if it was on sale. After transfroming a few and realizing that some are total shit and others are fantastic I'm more picky as to what I buy. I tend to only get what I actually want now.

I did get sucked into animated Acree and I'm glad I did. Tempted on Rodimus but I really don't want to start another line that I don't actually want.
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #66
Ground Zero
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Quinn View Post
Not usually, but sometimes if I need a plastic fix and I haven't gotten anything new in a while or I've had a crappy day, I'll pick up something I originally wasn't going to for one reason or another. Sometimes they turn out to be great purchases (Generations Drift) and sometimes not so much (ROTF Dirge).
I do this now and then. I've been really trying to cut back on my TF purchases. I think I own two ROTF figures (a basic and Sideswipe). I was going to avoid Animated, but I ended up loving the show and the figures.

I'm still a sucker for Generations/Universe, Reissues and Masterpiece figures though, which still drains the wallet, but it's better than if I collected everything out there these days. I still need to make room on my shelves.

Anyway -- my point is lately there's been very little that has caught my eye. No recent encores, didn't bite on any of the Japanese MP releases (too expensive for me) and no Universe figures. So that's when I picked up some of the ROTF figures -- just because I was feeling down and wanted something to fiddle with.

And now all of the new lines are out, so there's enough to keep me going for a little bit at least.
Ground Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #67
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

know what you mean, the masterpiece figures get more and more expensive with every release, and CBII, you do want animated, you just don't know it yet

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #68
anotheran
Old skooler

I got suckered into buying TFA Arcee and Rodimus based on the hype on the boards. Then picked up TFA Blur based on a forum member's amazing looking sig with all 3.

My Threads: Feedback , Sales Thread, Wanted List

My Latest Reviews: TFP RiD Vehicon, TFP RiD Knockout, TFP RiD Breakdown, MP Optimus Prime, FOC Bruticus
anotheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #69
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

I've been tempted to pick a Recon Ravage because of the sale at TRU, but it still feels like a waste of money; I doubt it will be actually worth anything in the future, despite the "mail in" status it had in the states.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #70
Incepticon
Double Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Quinn View Post
Man oh man, you hit the nail on the head about sometimes just needing to fulfill a plastic fix. It's solely because of that reason why I have Bludgeon... or any movie related figures at all. Just needed something new to fiddle around with.

Funny how being an active collector can also mean being a partial addict
Incepticon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mp grimlock, rodimus