Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
darthrage
Beast Machine
does anyone feel the picture quality is a bit grainy?

I gotta 42" LG LCD last year.

Anyways, so when I popped in my TF DVD, it look like alot of the night shots and sometimes indoor shots are unusually grainier than most of the other DVDs I have.

Did they rush the transfer? Cuz it only took 3 month between its theatrical release and the DVD release.

There's a alot of "noise" specs on the screen. Anyone else notice this?

I was watching my Criterion DVD of The Rock and the picture quality is pretty much flawless.

The picture quality for the for the entire Arrival of the Autobots scene has lots of noise specs.

I'm sure the problem will be gone when I watch it on HD-DVD but for a DVD, I've seen alot of movies with pretty flawless picture in their night shots. That was something that me and my brother noticed while watching it.

Is there a type of video cable that you can attach to your DVD player to your TV that, other than an S-Video cable?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
Powered Convoy
Re: does anyone feel the picture quality is a bit grainy?

I just watched it on a regular TV but still felt it was a little less sharp than it could have been. Perhaps the style of lighting is the culprit? It seems like a lot of the film is over-saturated and loses definition because of it. I'm no videophile though...just my thoughts upon seeing it home for the first time.
Powered Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:31 PM   #3
stunticon
Generation 1

You should try connecting the DVD player to the LCD display using component video cables; this will give you the best video quality. If you have a progressive scan player, the TV may upscale to the native res (but not necessarily; make sure the DVD player is set to output progressive scan as well). Another option would be to get an upscaling DVD player, but before you do, watch for prices to fall on HD DVD players in the coming weeks. If you can get one for about $200 or less, these players do a good job of upscaling regular DVDs as well (and Canada gets the 5 free HD DVDs now, although we need to pay $10 for shipping).

I bought the HD version and picture looks flawless.
stunticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #4
Code of Honor
Twitter: @Seikaku09
Send a message via Skype™ to Code of Honor

Like stunticon said use component video cables it's much better then S-video. As for my experience, I've watched the movie on two different TV's, two different DVD players, (all those are hooked up through component video by the way) and my computer, haven't noticed any problems with the transfer in any of them, it's actually among one of the best looking DVD's I've seen in a while.

Last edited by Code of Honor; 10-17-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Code of Honor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 PM   #5
devilsknight
Banned

It also could be the way the TV is configured too...watching television, playing games and watching dvd's all require different settings.

I watched mine on my bros 36" LCDTV yesterday using HDMI (btw never buy those from FS or BB wada ripoff) and i noticed it was grainy until i played with the settings and went to a proper viewing distance it looked great.

Another thing is too I have to mention is viewing distance...there are sites that have charts that show you for what screen size how far away you should be sitting.

Can you tell i've been researching this stuff a little lol...all in anticipation of breakin open my 50" plasma this weekend !!!
devilsknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

I think it is a little grainy. My wife even commented that it is quite greenish and grainy in parts. I figured it is just the "Michael Bay" filter effect on the movie - i.e. a choice.

Setup:
2 Disc DVD Edition
Progressive Scan DVD Player outputting component (Pb Pr Y)
Digital projector (Epson) using the component input.

This was at my usual viewing distance and size too - same setup we watch all DVDs on.

Doesn't really bother me, unless it means my copy of the movie is somehow defective...
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
Pascal
Banned

If it's grainy, it's hilarious considering Bay originally complained his movie wouldn't be available in HD. He wanted us to perfectly see his not-so-perfect work?
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunticon View Post
(and Canada gets the 5 free HD DVDs now, although we need to pay $10 for shipping).
Where is this offer from?

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #9
stunticon
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
Where is this offer from?

I was on the xbox website, I heard about on redflagdeals.com, and neospike provided links in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neospike View Post
stunticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
Powered Convoy

I just watched it again and it looked fine. maybe I was just tired the other day.
Powered Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote