Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion > Cybertron.ca Podcast - Canadian Slag

Old 07-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Cool Re: Canadian Slag Episode 73 - Slagged All Over Botcon

This podcast was a marathon. *whew*

Regarding BotCon 2013's dealer tables:

Exhibitor booths are $425. Fee includes two 8’ tables, one 6’ table and 2 Dealer badges. Booth size is approximately 11’ wide by 8’ deep.

Single tables are available for $275 and include one badge.

It was a pretty thorough run through of BotCon.

I really enjoyed the outro.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #22
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: Canadian Slag Episode 73 - Slagged All Over Botcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrave View Post
So what would YOU guys do for a Botcon set theme?
Daniel picked the other one I wanted so if I HAD to do A theme...I think I'd rather do a mix of Classics with some old recognized characters and throw in some original characters that would be introduced and seen in the ongoing fiction.

And that would be a theme I would continue with every year. To keep growing that G1 universe since that's always the most successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwave View Post
you guys mentioned those old exclusive offerings like Tigatron or Windrazor...I'm curious (and feel free to use this as a listener question I guess?);

what would you want to see made for those exclusive offerings if they brought that concept back?
I liked expanding the ongoing original continuity...maybe something like that, using existing characters and adding new ones with modern molds, like back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post
This podcast was a marathon. *whew*

Regarding BotCon 2013's dealer tables:

Exhibitor booths are $425. Fee includes two 8’ tables, one 6’ table and 2 Dealer badges. Booth size is approximately 11’ wide by 8’ deep.

It was a pretty thorough run through of BotCon.

I really enjoyed the outro.

Ouch...that's mucho $$$

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.

Last edited by GMfan; 07-18-2013 at 07:55 AM.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #23
FEZaid
Arabian Knight

Even though it was a near 4 hour podcast, toke me 2 days to listen, I enjoyed it, somehow ended up being not enough for me.

From what I understand, you have attending Botcon for many years and experience some good/bad. If it ends up at California again, I might go to be honest just to so what an 'official' convention for Transformers looks like.

Not to start anything, but you know that guy...."that guy" people hate. why doesn't anybody tell him to shove his ego up his arse?

Last edited by FEZaid; 07-17-2013 at 11:37 PM.
FEZaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #24
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Honestly.

Animated.

You want an excuse to get that Blackout mold out there? That Hydrodive Bumblebee? That Jetwing Prime?

Heck you don't want to keep it as those dudes?

I got a story for you FubPub.

So take Jetwing Prime, make him Ultra Magnus and tell the tale of how he rose to Magnus and got the Magnus Hammer (Which also comes with the Jetwing mold). Have it as a story in the vein of King Arthur and his search for Excalibur. Then use those other unused molds mentioned to make the fans happy and then be creative with other Animated molds that never got a 2nd repaint (Not to mention we see how much a new head works WONDERS).

Look at Oilslick. TOTALLY missed a chance for a Cykill homage or Sideways, or dare I say, just something new character wise.

Botcon 2011 was such a winner on so many fronts, the Boxset was just the beginning and the old saying goes "Any great journey always starts with that first solid step"
I'm with daniel on this one
Animated was great, forget Cykill, we need a MURDERBIKE !!
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #25
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post

This is pretty standard 'big' convention pricing. Central Canada Comic Con is $315 including GST for a single table, Calgary Expo(when I last checked for 2012) was $275 plus tax for a single table.

The booth price is actually not that bad all things considered. As a vendor I'd jump at those prices if the show came to my town.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #26
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvicron View Post
I think you guys where tough on botcon, and I apprecate that its comming from guys that decided to make their own convention. Too many people bitch but don't do anything about it. If TFcon wants to be the heavyweight you're certainly rising to the task.
I think most people are being too hard on the excustives for this years Botcon, it was a theme exciuted well. They have had issues with poor heads in the past but this year no custom head was anything but great.

And please don't scream like that on the podcast again it came out of nowhere and bothered me so much I had to post it here.
Honestly, I wasn't trying to be tough on Botcon, but I've been to DOZENS of conventions, and Botcon being the big daddy of them all, I was a little disappointed in the overall convention. And that opinion has NOTHING to do with my personal affiliation with TFcon. Don't get me wrong, I had a FANTASTIC time, but that was mostly due to being in California and spending time with 4 of my good friends that I don't get to see that often.

It's hard to give this year's Botcon a good grade, when 2 years ago you had both Steven Speilberg and Michael Bay show up - even if it was only for a short part at least you got to sit in an Audience with those two present. Plus the addition of many G1 voice actors and almost the entire Prime cast, that's a pretty big deal.

This year, we had Glenn Moreshower and the guy that played Tommy Kennedy. Who in my opinion, almost seem like joke guests "Hey, check it out - We got that guy from all 3 Transformers movies, Look the kid who talked to that big Powermaster Prime in little seen segments of G1"

And really, I saw very very small children at this convention - Most of the attendees were grown adult collectors, I'm not sure who the entire cast of "Rescue Bots" was supposed to appeal to.

And while the dealer room was large, the selection of dealers was just O.K. like we said, there were very few unique dealers - Say if the primary reason I was traveling was to purchase Transformers, I would have very disappointed, it's a long and fairly expensive trip to come, I would have done just as well with a closer convention like TFcon or Steel City Con.

Also, I thought the exclusives this year were pretty weak. If like me, you aren't a fan of Machine Wars or G2 there wasn't really much for you, and these aren't cheap figures either most Botcon figures will run you about $40-50 each on average.

Plus keep in mind, how much are you spending to go to something like this for a Canadian

Flight - approx $600
Hotel - approx $200-300 (if you are splitting a room with people, could be more if you stayed on your own, like 400-500)
Food - approx $150-200 for the weekend (more if you like to drink)
Admission - $375 if you get a Primus package
Exclusives - Easily another $200-400 depending on what you want to get

Plus other expenses like Transportation and if you want WiFi or do any of the Botcon Tours or what do see the city...

So already we're looking at $1500-2000 and we haven't even included dealer room spending money or other spending money if you go out in the city.

For that kind of investment, I'd really want my socks to be knocked off, and this year - they weren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Doing something about it would require simply not going, not making ones own convention

Anyway, keep in mind that the Slag crew are vetran convention attendees who have attended likely hundreds of these types of things - When one gets out and attends dozens(or hundreds) of these things they get to see what everyone is doing and it gets easier to see the faults.

I liked the sound of the small lineups, for both Exclusives & Autographes. But only 22 total Vendors sounds pretty lacking, as did the G1 availablity. And it wouldn't be lacking at another smaller convention - but this is Botcon - this is suppost to be the grand daddy of them all for Transformers fans - and it sounds like I can see just as many Transformers Vendors at C4 in Winnipeg(if not more), so something is definitly off about that.
Well said Rob. You summed up how I felt very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
IAN, I agree completely on the free wifi at cheap hotels!

The more expensive the hotel, the more they nickel and dime you for "extras" like wifi, breakfast, etc. etc. It bothers the hell out of me.

I don't mind paying for the wifi, but when the hotel is $300, throw in free wifi and charge me $325 instead - don't charge me $300 for the room and 12.50 a day for wifi...
Honestly, one of my biggest Pet Peeves. When I travel I rarely spend much time in the hotel. It pisses me off to no end when I stay at a nice hotel and they want $8-$12 for WiFi - yet when I'm staying at a small hotel/motel like Motel 6 or Microtel, that provide everything I really need (Clean Rooms, Bed, Bathroom) they provide FREE WiFi and usually a free continental breakfast. For most of the time half or less of what I would pay for a higher end Hotel chain.

And don't even get me started on Hotels that charge for parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrave View Post
So what would YOU guys do for a Botcon set theme?
Honestly, anything in the "Classicsverse", a TRUE G2 set (None of this late G1, Euro stuff, Unreleased G2), or a Diaclone based set.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #27
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

YES!! Proper G2 or a Diaclone set from me too...

A G2 Silverbolt using the universe 2.0 mold would sooo get money thrown at it like a cheap whore

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
Corvicron
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheers Ian View Post
Honestly, I wasn't trying to be tough on Botcon, but I've been to DOZENS of conventions, and Botcon being the big daddy of them all, I was a little disappointed in the overall convention. And that opinion has NOTHING to do with my personal affiliation with TFcon. Don't get me wrong, I had a FANTASTIC time, but that was mostly due to being in California and spending time with 4 of my good friends that I don't get to see that often.

It's hard to give this year's Botcon a good grade, when 2 years ago you had both Steven Speilberg and Michael Bay show up - even if it was only for a short part at least you got to sit in an Audience with those two present. Plus the addition of many G1 voice actors and almost the entire Prime cast, that's a pretty big deal.

This year, we had Glenn Moreshower and the guy that played Tommy Kennedy. Who in my opinion, almost seem like joke guests "Hey, check it out - We got that guy from all 3 Transformers movies, Look the kid who talked to that big Powermaster Prime in little seen segments of G1"

And really, I saw very very small children at this convention - Most of the attendees were grown adult collectors, I'm not sure who the entire cast of "Rescue Bots" was supposed to appeal to.

And while the dealer room was large, the selection of dealers was just O.K. like we said, there were very few unique dealers - Say if the primary reason I was traveling was to purchase Transformers, I would have very disappointed, it's a long and fairly expensive trip to come, I would have done just as well with a closer convention like TFcon or Steel City Con.

Also, I thought the exclusives this year were pretty weak. If like me, you aren't a fan of Machine Wars or G2 there wasn't really much for you, and these aren't cheap figures either most Botcon figures will run you about $40-50 each on average.

Plus keep in mind, how much are you spending to go to something like this for a Canadian

Flight - approx $600
Hotel - approx $200-300 (if you are splitting a room with people, could be more if you stayed on your own, like 400-500)
Food - approx $150-200 for the weekend (more if you like to drink)
Admission - $375 if you get a Primus package
Exclusives - Easily another $200-400 depending on what you want to get

Plus other expenses like Transportation and if you want WiFi or do any of the Botcon Tours or what do see the city...

So already we're looking at $1500-2000 and we haven't even included dealer room spending money or other spending money if you go out in the city.

For that kind of investment, I'd really want my socks to be knocked off, and this year - they weren't.
I don't think you where overly hard, just rightfully critical. Botcon can do better, and has. I am very happy the only year I've gone to Botcon was the 2011 year and it was awesome. (except the lines)
It is my baseline and it sounds like this was a slide to previous years.
Corvicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #29
Protoman
The Legend

How about just a theme that actually sticks to being THE THEME. Seems why the 2011 set gets love is cause they stuck to something, while 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013 were all over the place with an "umbrella title"
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #30
Jawz. D
That Black Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Anyway, keep in mind that the Slag crew are vetran convention attendees who have attended likely hundreds of these types of things - When one gets out and attends dozens(or hundreds) of these things they get to see what everyone is doing and it gets easier to see the faults.
"Wisemen learn more from fools than the wise." - Fortune Cookie

Follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/JawzD
Jawz. D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canadian slag, podcast