Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-04-2020, 04:10 PM   #21
TRUCKvsGUN
Re: Price hike for 2020?

On one hand, it sucks when prices go up.

On the other, they're better toys as a trend. I can only speak to a few SS releases, but Siege blows previous lines out of the water. It's fine to say you'd rather have Combiner Wars etc price points, but don't end the statement there as though everything else is the same, because it isn't: better toys cost more money; Siege is better than CW hands-down; it only follows that Siege would cost more. The real, unspoken point of disagreement is whether the price increases and improvements in design/quality are of a 1:1 ratio in value.

Regardless of whether you agree with the above, here's something you may want to consider: rather than being purely reactionary and tightening your belt whenever prices jump, try cutting back before they jump. I myself started focusing my purchases before the Siege/TLK price hike, and it made that pill much easier to swallow. If the cuts you make are disciplinary in nature rather than reactionary, you will be happier for having made them because they were your choices rather than your wallet's.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime

Last edited by TRUCKvsGUN; 01-04-2020 at 04:15 PM.
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #22
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKvsGUN View Post
On one hand, it sucks when prices go up.

On the other, they're better toys as a trend. I can only speak to a few SS releases, but Siege blows previous lines out of the water. It's fine to say you'd rather have Combiner Wars etc price points, but don't end the statement there as though everything else is the same, because it isn't: better toys cost more money; Siege is better than CW hands-down; it only follows that Siege would cost more. The real, unspoken point of disagreement is whether the price increases and improvements in design/quality are of a 1:1 ratio in value.

Regardless of whether you agree with the above, here's something you may want to consider: rather than being purely reactionary and tightening your belt whenever prices jump, try cutting back before they jump. I myself started focusing my purchases before the Siege/TLK price hike, and it made that pill much easier to swallow. If the cuts you make are disciplinary in nature rather than reactionary, you will be happier for having made them because they were your choices rather than your wallet's.
I mean, I don't think siege blows the prime wars trilogy out of the water. There are some wonky, lousy toys. Some great ones. Titans return had a pile of outstanding deluxes. Generations Springer is still a goat tf. Is the parts count a bit higher? I don't think the plastic quality or QC is notably better. Plastic is different but they are still doing some poor engineering or toys are defective or have widespread QC issues. More paint? Maybe, but it's battle splatter.

Putting aside that disagreement, whatever improvements are in there aren't worth a ten dollar jump. No chance. Nothing justifies that b

Studio series is a mixed bag but on the whole does have a higher level of detail/paint than generations. Worth the initial hike? Dunno. Worth ANOTHER hike? No way.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #23
justprime
Animated

Price point ..oil all time low,mfg moved to a cheaper cost in labour out of china . were not in a trade dispute with vietnam by the way,toys got dramatically smaller,qc issues on raise be it poor plastic or just wrong parts /assebly etc...the overpricing on things like reissues(70 dollar op with no trailer etc... even factoring in inflation not a chance) ..got bot has a vary good argument to costing percentages on u tube and thats just the seige line....cyberverse line imho is far overpiced for what we are given for product ...
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #24
Endlessdark
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Nope. The thirty bucks came with siege. They were $20 through titans and potp. $18.99 during cw. 15.99-17.99 for thrilling 30 and earlier.

Do 21.99, ok. I get it. 24.99 deluxes? Ehhhh but 20 off at least. Thirty bucks, a 50% increase, is not justified by a goddamn thing.

Even with sales you're still over the previous regular
Ah, you’re correct. POTP were still 20 (unless you were buying them at Ages 3 + Up), movie deluxe have been 30 since 2017 though with the release of TLK ((if not earlier, I have no idea).

Last edited by Endlessdark; 01-04-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Endlessdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:39 PM   #25
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlessdark View Post
Ah, you’re correct. POTP were still 20 (unless you were buying them at Ages 3 + Up), movie deluxe have been 30 since 2016, though.
Yep. That was such nonsense. That wasn't studio series, and they were literally RERELEASING toys from AOE in new colors for ten bucks more.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:04 PM   #26
imfallenangel
Cybertron

The problem is, every time the price increases, you have people that agrees with it, defends Hasbro over it even...

I said it a while back when the 15$ wingship Megatron was re-released in a box for 30+$, and yet, some nodded their heads that the "new" paint made it special and warranted the increase.

I said it when the question of the Unicron funding happened, again, I stated that this would lead to more increases as the water was tested and enough people gulped that water down.

Siege placed everyone under the magnifying glass as they pushed hard with the 40% increase, and they knew that these weren't regular figures, these were the true G1 versions that most had waited for since the beginning, and for most collectors, it was a case of missing out of them or suck it up and swallow the increase.

They played with the "exclusives" and the limited stock, causing most to fight with their budgets and themselves to "stay in the game", or hope for sales or miss out of the figures that they had been waiting for.

The collector's share of the pie is a LOT larger than most want to believe, and if you can't believe it, then why the exclusives, why the rarety of many, if this was about making lots of sales towards children, as if their true audience were children, they would make them cheaper, and absolutely available easily for the impulse buys, the grab while in the toy isle, but that isn't the case at all.

Siege got me good for many at full price, and with Walmart never with any sales that I've seen this year, and TrU's best sales limited to 20%, but many at 15%, and many times, between waves with the shelf warmers, getting better prices has been a game with the risk of simply missing out, that many didn't play.. including myself most of the time.

I'm going to hope that Earthrise is going to be different, as I do plan to wait for sales as much as possible, and hope that exclusives are going to be much lower in numbers.

I also plan to really limit myself to the G1 crew that are needed to complete the "set" and avoid the superfluous ones unless liquidation prices hit them.

Siege has probably been the most active series I've ever seen, and aside a few figures, most didn't shelf warm much if at all, and we've yet to see any end up at Winners or such.

But all increases are only pushing me towards the end of me continuing getting TFs and go back to the ad-hoc ones when one figure does hit my "fancy". But also, it's only pushing me towards 3rd parties and KOs, and other series. At this rate, I will eventually end up being so very picky that my purchases could end up being limited to just a few (up to maybe 3 to 5) figures of any kind per year, if not call it quits altogether, and I'm still considering doing a massive clean-up and sell a large chuck of my collection at some point.

Thanks Hasbro, it's been fun, but you're really asking too much with these price increases, the ugly and cheap gaps, the lack of weapons and accessories, the minimal paint, and the constant whining of the hardship of costs, when you go and buy other companies that are billions of dollars, when your reports are showing huge profits (in the billions) every year. I wish I could cry about "only making that much that goes in the bank account as net profits per year".

Last edited by imfallenangel; 01-05-2020 at 02:42 AM.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:18 PM   #27
seancuthbertca
Generation 2

This will just push me to save my money and go to the collectible hobby stores to fill in my original G1 figures collection instead. I'm not losing sleep over it.
seancuthbertca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:33 AM   #28
MonstaBot
Sword of Fury=:p

Toy Hunting in Walmart today and the Merchandising team had set up a new bar code in Transformers section-Transformers Voyager...
The price? $44.95!!!! The price hike is real???
So Deluxe class will be like $34.97??? That means Leaders class will be hella high and they're like old Voyager class size now
I didn't want to believe this as most of us had barely got used to the last price hike, but this was instore and the barcode on the shelf was legit. Argh!!!
MonstaBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:49 AM   #29
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

That sucks!

I can somehow understand this price hike logic for TakaraTomy MPs (premium products, higher margins, more exclusivities, etc) and I don’t really have too much of an issue simply there are so few MPs. Not that I am happy about it, but I kind of accepted it.

But these mainline stuffs are... toys! Even if adults collected them these are again toys! Yes, Hasbro & TakaraTomy did make significant improvements in the Siege line (haven’t bought a lot of SS) they are still hollow plastic simple transformation low budget pieces of toys! They now even made them smaller! And what lousy distribution!

A $34 Deluxe, $44 Yoyager and $74 Leader? Well you know what? I will be a lot more picky... may be this year I will be just getting Scorponok, Snapdragon and Doubledealer. The rest? A very very big may be...

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #30
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

We know Studio Series is going up to $35/$45/$75 but we aren’t yet sure if Siege/Earthrise is too.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote