Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #11
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: $70 G1 Optimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
I feel the same... especially without the trailer, I don't even understand why anyone would buy it aside nostalgia.

I was never a huge fan of the G1 that had no articulations, so I prefer the later versions of the Generations line, even though I will say that I would prefer more metal and less emptiness syndrome.

I have a G1 OP (missing all parts such as hands and trailer, etc.) but I can use with the G1 Ultra Magnus "armour" (also missing lots of parts) and when I place it next to any of my other "modern" OP, the G1 feels like a brick that doesn't look even right anymore, not when you have a cartoon accurate, fully poseable version, The rig "alt" mode is it's saving grace as it does look the best.

So, will it sell, I believe so as there's a few members that already stated to want him, or already did get him...

When it comes to price, it's been a funny trip down the road in here lately where many have stated how these prices are crazy, but how the desire to get the figures wins out, *sadly, I'm one of them for the Siege line, but it's also a case that it's probably the last line I get and only might get a few random ones afterwards), and then there's the ones that support and enjoy the prices increases.
Alas and alack G1 Prime will sell, at least initially. There are scalpers, those who have to have the latest when they see it on the shelf, and as you said those collectors who have stated they want one despite the price. So early on this won't be too hard to sell, I believe, but I hope it ends up like Hot Rod and restocks sit on the shelves.

As for Siege, I am pretty much out except for a reasonable price. I picked up OP & Meg during the BOGO. So they were basically the original $30 each price. Same with a couple of the legends and weaponizers. They at least we're a bit less than regular retail.

Outside of Refracktor and the fembots, the deluxes don't move me to pay anything above old retail ($19.99). Leaders are a wait and see. Magnus doesn't really do it for me. Shockwave and Prime are probably going to be bought when I can, but I will hold my nose while buying!!! ��
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:13 AM   #12
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Alas and alack G1 Prime will sell, at least initially. There are scalpers, those who have to have the latest when they see it on the shelf, and as you said those collectors who have stated they want one despite the price. So early on this won't be too hard to sell, I believe, but I hope it ends up like Hot Rod and restocks sit on the shelves.

As for Siege, I am pretty much out except for a reasonable price. I picked up OP & Meg during the BOGO. So they were basically the original $30 each price. Same with a couple of the legends and weaponizers. They at least we're a bit less than regular retail.

Outside of Refracktor and the fembots, the deluxes don't move me to pay anything above old retail ($19.99). Leaders are a wait and see. Magnus doesn't really do it for me. Shockwave and Prime are probably going to be bought when I can, but I will hold my nose while buying!!! ��
Oh I'll easily admit that I feel dirty to have bought the siege at full price as I didn't want to miss out, the BOGO sales came and gone too fast, first one during times that I couldn't get to the store, and the second one, it was too late, I already had everything.

The leaders appears to be random and low numbers, and I didn't want to miss them so I feel extra dirty for those, but prices aside, I have no regrets having them...

I'm not a true Transformer collectors like most here, as wile I am a fan, and have decent knowledge about the series, etc. I simply collect robots and science-fiction stuff, from Soul of Chogokins, Gundam, Macross/Robotech, Diaclone and a bunch of anything that catches my eye.. for over 40 years. Transformers are the poor man's Macross Valkyries, as I mostly went for the planes, tanks and starships type, but since Combiner Wars and PotP I decided to get a few that I normally wouldn't have bothered with, and the Dinobots are what really pulled me in. For Siege, I just found pulled into getting them as they are part of the original "crew" and G1 main figures done with today's engineering.

Putting G1 Prime next to Siege Prime and it's like comparing a 1930 clucker next to a brand new Acura. Not to say that the clucker doesn't have it's charm, but the reality, it doesn't work as well in just about every way.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #13
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

One word. "Nope!"
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #14
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

I already have an original G1 Prime with trailer so no need for this one. And yeah, $70 is ridiculous.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #15
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

Agree with everyone, $70 is absurd. The pretty boxes may help as they have done with the Studio Series and Siege lines, like staging a house usually helps to get a better price.

I believe there are a lot of super casual Transformers fans that are now adults with disposable income passing through the toy aisles who would shell out $70 for G1 Optimus Prime minus trailer. Seems like Hasbro & Wal*Mart will still make some healthy margins on this toy even if it goes on sale/clearance later on.
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #16
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

I will get one and sit on it until a price reduction.
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #17
Pascal
Banned

I collect all things Optimus but since I already have a few versions of that mold, I won't be interested unless I get it as a gift.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #18
79transam
Machine War

Soundwave is rumored to be 500 without the headphones
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #19
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I collect all things Optimus but since I already have a few versions of that mold, I won't be interested unless I get it as a gift.
Same here.

Prime and Soundwave again. This is getting old. I love these 2 characters but these two have been done to death for the last 15~20 years. I know Prime sells but frankly Hasbro could have picked up Hound, Metroplex, etc. which have been reissued by Takara/TakaraTomy ages ago.

I don’t mind the different MP versions of G1 Primes or that little Hybrid Style version - at least each one offer something unique, but straight G1 reissue is just so boring in this day and age. And this iteration doesn’t even come with the trailer.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #20
Soundwaves
Robot Master

I will begrudgingly buy 1.

Won't be happy about it but it IS g1 and that box...
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote