Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-02-2015, 06:21 PM   #11
CanBot
Cybertron
Re: Collectability vs Preservation with respect to Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAF View Post
If the intent is to leave in in the package for all eternity, I would think the battery issue is moot?

There ya go. But for me, the point of MISB, and buying one for myself, would be because then I could open that toy in, say, 20 years, and it would be basically like it was off the shelf. That's just me, though, and I realize that's not the intent of an MISB collectors.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #12
CAF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
There ya go. But for me, the point of MISB, and buying one for myself, would be because then I could open that toy in, say, 20 years, and it would be basically like it was off the shelf. That's just me, though, and I realize that's not the intent of an MISB collectors.
With that in mind, it would be nice to see those plastic pull tabs in more of the battery operated collectibles.
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
CanBot
Cybertron

I get why they don't use the tabs, because without the 'demo, try me!' they miss out on the 'wow' factor for kids to try out in the store. But...there's the long term price. It's actually the 'cure' for those who believe that MISB collecting is, well...for lack of better words, not the optimal way to collect. The batteries essentially force you to open the package. Part of the reason I bought my first Leader TFs from the early movies was because I really thought they'd be worth something someday, lol...a small part, but a part nonetheless.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #14
CAF
Banned

I open all my transformers and keep the boxes. The eay I see it now, it takes a hell of a piece to be worth keeping MISB for value purposes. To me, the real value is in enjoying them.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #15
ChaosTheory
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
I would tend to lean in this direction as well. Even though I prefer to purchase MISB it's mostly because it eliminates a lot of the unknown, and perhaps I like to pop those 'cherries' myself if I do decide to open certain items.

I guess, if I plan on keeping for the long-term I may as well open and remove the batteries!
ChaosTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #16
CAF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I would tend to lean in this direction as well. Even though I prefer to purchase MISB it's mostly because it eliminates a lot of the unknown, and perhaps I like to pop those 'cherries' myself if I do decide to open certain items.

I guess, if I plan on keeping for the long-term I may as well open and remove the batteries!
Do you ever feel a sense of guilt when you open something that's been sealed on your shelf for a long time? I do. I don't know why either. It's mine. It's just that the time being unopened feels like it became worthless
Old 11-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #17
pside9
Beasty

I open all of my figures any way so I remove the battery. But I buy figures because I enjoy displaying them.

I'd prefer a toy that has had the battery removed over a MISB item but I wouldn't pay the same price for it. In my mind its maybe ~ 15% less.
pside9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #18
Pgianos
Banned

Investing in transformers is a really bad idea. Mark my words all the MP stuff won't be worth retail in several years. The boom came bc us g1ers are in our 30s now...the bust is coming... invest in gold....
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #19
CAF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgianos View Post
Investing in transformers is a really bad idea. Mark my words all the MP stuff won't be worth retail in several years. The boom came bc us g1ers are in our 30s now...the bust is coming... invest in gold....
I concur
Old 11-03-2015, 11:58 PM   #20
ChaosTheory
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgianos View Post

Damned if you do and damned if you don't..

Potentially snag some great deals up in 10 to 20 yrs, but miss out on 10-20 years of having a bit of fun with them lol.

Meh, I'm mostly buying to enjoy with my kids anyways!
ChaosTheory is offline   Reply With Quote