Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero
Anything that MP10 can do, can MP04 do better?

Like many of you I am seriously toying (pun intended) with the idea of picking up the Hasbrofied version of MP10 Convoy/Optimus Prime when he eventually hits Toy R Us soon. However, there two big reasons why I shouldn’t buy:

· I already own MP04 Convoy with an aftermarket scaled Roller (not the transforming kind). MP04 has more die cast, more accessories, more gimmicks and overall better articulation (no hip articulation on MP10???), so it seems the only reason I’d buy MP10 is for the blind cave tetra fish-looking Spike Witwicky driver. However (to quote ANH-era Obi-Wan) there are alternatives to correct the lack of Diaclone-esque pilots for MP04.

· I’m a father of 3 who works 9 to 5 which means I’ve got 2 full-time jobs at the office and at home. My time is at a premium, and I frackin’ hate THE HUNT which is something I realized in a devastatingly sober conclusion during last year’s SDCC G1 Blaster-at-HomeSense fiasco.

In short, I’m getting too old for this shit (the hunt that is…never too old for the toys).

So why would I even bother with MP10? Well…

· He’s cool

· He’s kind of in scale with MP Grimlock (I collect in pairs so it’d be cool to have my Hasbro Grimmy team up with Hasbro Optimus atop the pile of SA forms that he guards in my office). He’s also more in scale with MP Rodimus, though I will never pick that one up…MP05 Megatron already frustrates me enough thank you very much

· He’s sorta cheap. Which is questionably relative considering $120 after taxes (versus $250+ for Takara MP10) still isn’t exactly small change for a hunk ‘o plastic. Also if you factor in gas, time and the effort it takes to fight back the urge to punch a scalper in the groin or side swipe that dillhole at the mall parking lot that took your spot then he’s not really that cheap.

Anyone else on the fence about MP10 like I am? Or anyone have another good reason why MP10 is worth it?

Last edited by jjwankenobi; 07-18-2012 at 05:21 PM.
jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
thebobkat
Canadian Slag
Re: Anything that MP10 can do, can MP04 do better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
Like many of you I am seriously toying (pun intended) with the idea of picking up the Hasbrofied version of MP10 Convoy/Optimus Prime when he eventually hits Toy R Us soon. However, there two big reasons why I shouldn’t buy:

· I already own MP04 Convoy with an aftermarket scaled Roller (not the transforming kind). MP04 has more die cast, more accessories, more gimmicks and overall better articulation (no hip articulation on MP10???), so it seems the only reason I’d buy MP10 is for the blind cave tetra fish-looking Spike Witwicky driver. However (to quote ANH-era Obi-Wan) there are alternatives to correct the lack of Diaclone-esque pilots for MP04.

· I’m a father of 3 who works 9 to 5 which means I’ve got 2 full-time jobs at the office and at home. My time is at a premium, and I frackin’ hate THE HUNT which is something I realized in a devastatingly sober conclusion during last year’s SDCC G1 Blaster-at-HomeSense fiasco.

In short, I’m getting too old for this shit (the hunt that is…never too old for the toys).

So why would I even bother with MP10? Well…

· He’s cool

· He’s kind of in scale with MP Grimlock (I collect in pairs so it’d be cool to have my Hasbro Grimmy team up with Hasbro Optimus atop the pile of SA forms that he guards in my office). He’s also more in scale with MP Rodimus, though I will never pick that one up…MP05 Megatron already frustrates me enough thank you very much

· He’s sorta cheap. Which is questionably relative considering $120 after taxes (versus $250+ for Takara MP10) still isn’t exactly small change for a hunk ‘o plastic. Also if you factor in gas, time and the effort it takes to fight back the urge to punch a scalper in the groin or side swipe that dillhole at the mall parking lot that took your spot then he’s not really that cheap.

Anyone else on the fence about MP10 like I am? Or anyone have another good reason why MP10 is worth it?
For myself, I never got MP-4, and I also couldn't justify the price on the Takara MP-10. I have the old Hasbro MP-1 Prime, but the MP-10 looks great, gives me a trailer and roller for the first time, and it's way cheaper than getting the Takara with very few diffs.

As for hunting, I can understand what you're saying, and it gets more complicated with a family in tow. Maybe keep an eye on the TRU.ca website and just order it online? They often have free shipping deals and worst case the shipping you might end up paying is worth avoiding the gas/time/stress of hunting for it at the brick and mortar locations.

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread Updated DEC 28 2023
thebobkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobkat View Post
Maybe keep an eye on the TRU.ca website and just order it online? They often have free shipping deals and worst case the shipping you might end up paying is worth avoiding the gas/time/stress of hunting for it at the brick and mortar locations.
Yes, I seem to be opting for on-line shopping nowadays too. If I do go for MP10 I'll probably try just my local TRU, then either go the TRU.ca route or depend on the kindness of my fellow boardies. I just wonder if it really is worth it. My MP04 kicks ass, especially when pited against MP05 Megatron with the JustiToys add-on.

I guess another incentive would be to have an MP Optimus for my office at work. People laugh at me for having so many TFs at work but when you consider how much time I spend locked away in my office why wouldn't I make it a home away from home? Besides, those people that laugh are among the 98% of people I work with that I don't actually like anyways.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
thebobkat
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
Yes, I seem to be opting for on-line shopping nowadays too. If I do go for MP10 I'll probably try just my local TRU, then either go the TRU.ca route or depend on the kindness of my fellow boardies. I just wonder if it really is worth it. My MP04 kicks ass, especially when pited against MP05 Megatron with the JustiToys add-on.

I guess another incentive would be to have an MP Optimus for my office at work. People laugh at me for having so many TFs at work but when you consider how much time I spend locked away in my office why wouldn't I make it a home away from home? Besides, those people that laugh are among the 98% of people I work with that I don't actually like anyways.
Yeah, online shopping is so much easier...less stress. And in most cases the trade off of the shipping cost for the time/gas spent looking, is worth it. That being said, I do still get a thrill finding something in a physical hunt, but I usually only do that with locations that already happen t be on my route home from work.

If I had more room, I'd probably put a few TFs at work too. My current desk is way too small but it's temporary for a project I'm on. My usual desk in my regular office has more room, but I opted to put my hockey figures there

As for if it's worth getting the Prime...I suppose that will be a battle between your time, wallet and display space (that's usually my own factors in getting something or not...though admittedly my willpower is sometimes lacking and I buy it anyways). The tough part will be what purchase limits TRU will put on it. I think 2 is reasonable, and would prevent scalpers from going overboard. Also it would be tough to hold onto more than 2 at $100+ a piece for other boardies...it is a good chunk of change. In any case, I do want one, so I hope I don't miss it.

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread Updated DEC 28 2023
thebobkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
juxtapose519
Robot Master

The biggest advantage of the Hasbro version to me? Clearance prices. There are very few toys that I'm willing to drop more than $100 on, but cut that price tag in half and I'm all over it.

Trade | Cybertron Feedback | TFW Feedback | Collection
juxtapose519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Msol
Titanium

How much do you value the vehicle mode? MP-10 blows MP-4 out of the water.

I also much prefer the MP-10 headsculpt, which is a big thing for me.
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
King Benny
Generation 1

I have both and originally, I was on the fence about MP-10. After seeing it in person I decided to go for it. It is superior to MP-04 and is the best representation of the G1 cartoon. Yes, it does not have all the diecast but the tradeoff is that MP-10 is much more stable and poseable than MP-04.

I also shop online for those hard to get toys... it's much more convenient. I don't have kids but I am married and I just can't be bothered driving around hunting for toys. I'll pay the few extra bucks for shipping if it means saving time.
King Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Honestly, the hunt itself is what pisses me off about the hobby.

I have MP-04, and I'd consider MP-10 to add to my collection at some point. Probably when they've released it the third or fourth time.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

have mp 10 takara already, and hasbro dvd prime, other than the deco, mp-04 looks very dated in vehicle mode, poseability is pretty sweet on mp-10, mp-04 is more like a g1 figure, it's great, looks awesome, but it doesn't live up to the masterpiece name anymore

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
Badgertron
Robot Master
Send a message via MSN to Badgertron

MP10 has a slightly different aesthetic to MP01/04, and I tend to like it a bit better than the older one. I love his gun storage feature. Space is also a consideration, so having a much smaller MP Prime that does almost everything that the larger version does, may be preferable to you. Also, less diecast may not neccesarily be a BAD thing, since diecast-on-plastic parts tend to degrade a bit faster than plastic-on-plastic.

As for finding the damn thing, well...isn't that why we're here? We've got a great community going here, and there are always people willing to pick a figure up for you

-BT
Badgertron is offline   Reply With Quote