Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-16-2014, 03:13 AM   #11
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.
Re: TFCon 2014 on television

TFCON should invest in sponsors. TRU, Hasbro, various toy companies/stores, tv companies, radio stations, look into companies that grant grants, create flyers, advertising stuff to toss around. (I learned about TFCON 3 years ago at AN) Attend other cons, talk about TFCON on con and cosplay websites, put pamplhets in malls, stores, etc etc.

The medium is there, but I was under the impression that TFCON didn't want to get bigger or broader it's audience, kinda wanted to stay at it's relaxed, cosy, gathering, toy show state.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:56 AM   #12
grizzly519
Alternator

Mississauga news regarding TFCon was previously mentioned but no link given.Since links were requested here it is:
http://www.mississauga.com/whatson-s...-in-meadowvale
Old 07-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockout View Post
TFCON should invest in sponsors. TRU, Hasbro, various toy companies/stores, tv companies, radio stations, look into companies that grant grants, create flyers, advertising stuff to toss around. (I learned about TFCON 3 years ago at AN) Attend other cons, talk about TFCON on con and cosplay websites, put pamplhets in malls, stores, etc etc.
Missed this

TFcon does all this stuff and more. Hasbro kinda left over what seemed to be 3rd Party issues, but up until 2 years ago actually attended the convention, did panels and showed off new products.

TFcon gets promoted by legitimately 100's of retailers, both online and those with store fronts. Several dozen stores in the GTA(and across Canada) get flyers and other promotional materials.

They attend lots of conventions promoting the Con each year, events like Botcon & Fan Expo. They also run 5 of their own shows - all this while having full times jobs on top of the convention responsibilities.

They have folks stretched out from Halifax to Victoria, and in the USA, who help promote the convention in numerous different ways, be it at other events like toy shows or conventions, or online via websites, facebook, youtube, twitter, instagram, what ever.

In my opinion there is very little more TFcon can actually do to get the word out. They already get tons of TV and radio advertising, they own the internet(go ahead and google TFcon Transformers - 91,000 results come up), get promoted at dozens of conventions across the country and more.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #14
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Missed this

TFcon does all this stuff and more. Hasbro kinda left over what seemed to be 3rd Party issues, but up until 2 years ago actually attended the convention, did panels and showed off new products.

TFcon gets promoted by legitimately 100's of retailers, both online and those with store fronts. Several dozen stores in the GTA(and across Canada) get flyers and other promotional materials.

They attend lots of conventions promoting the Con each year, events like Botcon & Fan Expo. They also run 5 of their own shows - all this while having full times jobs on top of the convention responsibilities.

They have folks stretched out from Halifax to Victoria, and in the USA, who help promote the convention in numerous different ways, be it at other events like toy shows or conventions, or online via websites, facebook, youtube, twitter, instagram, what ever.

In my opinion there is very little more TFcon can actually do to get the word out. They already get tons of TV and radio advertising, they own the internet(go ahead and google TFcon Transformers - 91,000 results come up), get promoted at dozens of conventions across the country and more.
Well something marketing wise isn't working. The con itself is only 13 years old and last year only drew in 2500. I don't know how much Botcon pulls in, some reason they don't want to post those stats anywhere online but I am sure though it is older, it still pulls in a good amount. Also I didn't mean Hasbro as a guest, I meant actually sponsoring with money, prizes, the like.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #15
RageD
Energon

You really think haSbro is going to sponsor a rival convention to botcon, or a convention that heavily features third party content? Even if they did it would probably come with stipulations such as no more third party content, etc.... Which would be terrible.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #16
Black Cat
Animated

And TFcon used to advertise at TRU. For reasons, that was unfortunately put to a halt.

This convention does what it can to advertise - everyone has pointed them out (and my radio spot from 2012 was remembered! ^_^).
But advertising takes time and money, and the staff does this on a volunteer basis.
Which would you rather have? Money spent on advertising, or guests?
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #17
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageD View Post
You really think haSbro is going to sponsor a rival convention to botcon, or a convention that heavily features third party content? Even if they did it would probably come with stipulations such as no more third party content, etc.... Which would be terrible.
Well anime companies do it all the time. Heck when I ran mine I had sponser items from ADV, Bandai, Viz, funimation and tokyo pop. They are all rivals and with over 100 anime/gaming con that goes on year round, no one sees it as an issue.

And I don't see why Hasbro wouldn't, it takes money to make money and the more you get yourself out there the more money you'll bring in. If Hasbro gives a crap about money, which they do because giving quality products doesn't seem to interest them, more publicly and marketing for their company the better.

Doesn't botcon do third party? I might be wrong there, i've never attended. But then again I've never brought third party so....

I'd prefer guests in terms of $$ being spent, but with the fiasco I don't think they make enough yet to keep affording them without the taxed on extra fees.

It'll be interesting to see what the official numbers were for this year and how much attendence rose since 2013.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:12 AM   #18
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockout View Post
Doesn't botcon do third party? I might be wrong there, i've never attended. But then again I've never brought third party so....
And I have been going to Botcon for 14 years, longer then I had anything to ever do with TFcon.

Trust me, you got your #s all wrong.

Your comparing to something you never lived, experienced or felt....... and the spectrum of Botcon is the location....... but not the attendance......... look at a modern Botcon dealer room (2013-2014)..... then look at ours......... then those numbers will shock you.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #19
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly519 View Post
Mississauga news regarding TFCon was previously mentioned but no link given.Since links were requested here it is:
http://www.mississauga.com/whatson-s...-in-meadowvale
I got my Mississauga News yesterday and there is the same article on page E35 in case anyone was curious.
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #20
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCommander View Post
I got my Mississauga News yesterday and there is the same article on page E35 in case anyone was curious.
save the paper for me bro? thx
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote