Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #81
Hoffman
Generation 1
Re: TF5 Transformers The Last Knight discussion (spoilers inside)

I have enjoyed every movie up until this one at least during the first viewing.

This one...I did not.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #82
zackmak
Robot Master

True...if the last couple movies weren't great, why go to part 5? Well, I hold out for hope of a change. Different writers this time, too. I love transformers, so dishing out $12 for a ticket for a crapshoot on entertainment is no biggie. Besides, everyone goes through the same 'hope it's good' mentality when they buy a ticket for the movies, don't they?

I'll be going to see the Bumblebee movie too. Fingers crossed!
zackmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #83
SHCKWAVE
Beast Machine

Just a quick question: How is Frank Welkers Megatron?
Does he share a similarity with his G1 version? The Prime version? Something new?
Also no explanation about how Galvatron goes back to being Megs??
SHCKWAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #84
79transam
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
I've read almost a dozen comments along the lines of "disappointing once again."

If... The past couple movies weren't good, why did you go?
I never went. Saw a review with spoilers. I hated this flick before it was even concieved. The movie is the worst film I've never seen.
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #85
Hoffman
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHCKWAVE View Post
Just a quick question: How is Frank Welkers Megatron?
Does he share a similarity with his G1 version? The Prime version? Something new?
Also no explanation about how Galvatron goes back to being Megs??
There's no explanation of Megatron at all. Even is "plot" is pulled out.of thin air.

His voice, at least to me, was completely forgettable. Not his G1 voice but also not as dynamic as Weaving's.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:32 PM   #86
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

I know a lot of members here who haven't seen TF5 yet are expecting bad things. That's understandable. I just watched the movie today and...

SPOILERS AHEAD

Okay, so if you're like me, you'll likely think it was waaaay too soon to kill off Optimus Prime in act one and pass the Matrix over to Hot Rod. Heck, even the other Autobots couldn't stop talking about how sudden it was and how nobody had ever heard of this new character before. But it was a genuinely emotional moment. There were audible sniffles in the theatre (including mine!). Hot Rod's transformation to Rodimus Prime was wicked, especially the way his deco changed to these kind of energon flames all across his chest. That seems to be the visual signifier of a Prime in the Bayverse. But it was a great callback to G1. (OP's flame deco vanished when he died, natch.) Also, the genius use of "The Touch" when Rod uses the Matrix at the end of the movie was one of those punch-the-air moments I'll never forget.

END OF SPOILERS

So yeah, see this movie!
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:54 PM   #87
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
I've read almost a dozen comments along the lines of "disappointing once again."

If... The past couple movies weren't good, why did you go?
I was under the impression it would be different this time. Paramount hired an oscar winning writer to be the head of a writer's room which had lots of talent, including Robert Kirkman. It was a totally new screenwriters and the amrketting even highlighted Decepticons which it never does.

Plus it had Anthony Hopkins.

Lots of reasons to give this film the benefit of the doubt. But it turned out as bad or worst than the previous ones. Easily the worst film I have seen this year so far.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:09 AM   #88
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

I saw the movie on Friday with my wife (who is not a transformer fan like me), she loved it (and ROTF, she likes the comedy in her robot movies like Short Circuit and seems to get Bay's humour, should I be worried? Lmao) and was asking me questions about Quintessa, etc.

Myself, I go into these movies like the G1 cartoon, very episodic and looking for bloodlust from Murder Prime as my enjoyment from the movies. I'll give Michael Bay a little credit, even though some scenes were rehashed from DOTM and of course he ditched the Dinobots again in the last quarter of the movie this time but this might have been his most consistent though not complete effort at least in keeping most of the story and characters together (in this film, not the series). Outside of the Dinobots I did not say to myself "hey what happened to .... and where the f did that plot piece go to?" Maybe because I didn't care??? I was a little bored at times and maybe asking for Unicron or anyone to get some character is a little much from Bay. Overall not the worst and not the greatest just in the middle.

Anyone else notice there was not a lot of transforming in this movie? And of course a headmaster is not a headmaster he just runs a school for gifted robots. Stanley Tucci as the Steve Jobs wannabe in the last movie and Merlin in this one was a nice touch as I like Stanley as an actor.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #89
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
There's no explanation of Megatron at all.

In TF4, his mind got transferred into a human-made body that was supposed to be controlled by humans but he eventually broke loose. One can easily assume he quickly got rid of his human-built body to get a proper body back before TF5. Galvatron was just a name given by humans, he never stopped being Megatron.

Last edited by Pascal; 06-26-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:06 AM   #90
funkmasterke
Custom User Title

Garbage, garbage, garbage.

I know these movies are bottom of the barrel and I go with the lowest of expectations. This movie some how was even worse than I could of ever imagined.

I'm fairly optimistic when it comes to all types of movies, especially popcorn flicks, but TLK is one of the few movies I couldn't find something I liked about it (well apart from Megatron's design).

Micheal Bay has had 5 films to get this right, some how he decided to take all the major criticisms from the last 4 installments and did exactly what everyone told him not to do.