Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
jackwacko
Classic
GPS strikes back?

Hello everyone, as the title might suggest, I've been wondering if one of my figures has gotten the Gold plastic syndrome, and was wondering if any fellow board members can confirm this or am I just a special case?

So I was messing with my HTFD Terradive, and I noticed there was a crack on the bending point on his spear/trident. Upon further inspection both sides of the swivel have significant cracks, along with 2 minor cracks on the rod itself.

So anybody else having this problem?
jackwacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Hobbyist Prime
King of the Scratchbuild
Hobbyist Prime's Ebay Auctions
Re: GPS strikes back?

I think they have pretty much done away with GPS now but that trident is pretty thin and the hinges are somewhat tight (at least on mine) so it may just be from normal stress on the plastic
Hobbyist Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
miasboytoy
Animated

kaybee toys megabolt, thought it woudnt be brittle, but broke in 2 places. havent transformered it in yrs too. was so choked!

http://tfu.info/2003/Decepticon/Megabolt/megabolt.htm
miasboytoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
jackwacko
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist Prime View Post
I think they have pretty much done away with GPS now but that trident is pretty thin and the hinges are somewhat tight (at least on mine) so it may just be from normal stress on the plastic
Ugh ... kinda scared of messing with that spear now.. especially since its so cool >.>
jackwacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Gaming Turtle
Robot in Disguise

mine had the hinge cracks since the first time I tried to collapse it, no other cracks though.
Gaming Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
Ninjatron
Overlord of all Ninjas

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasboytoy View Post
kaybee toys megabolt, thought it woudnt be brittle, but broke in 2 places. havent transformered it in yrs too. was so choked!
Damn, this one got me too. I bought one on eBay this past winter. Payed a decent amount for it, but the seller gave me a partial refund after noticing that the packaging was not in great shape before sending it to me. The figure inside still looked fine, so I cut it open. As soon as I tried to transform it, a piece of gold plastic from the ball joint that connects the upper face to the robot shoulder broke off. And I mean it shot out like a bullet! The friction of the ball joint must have been too much for the gold plastic after whatever deterioration had set in, and even the slightest movement caused all that pressure to shoot out.

Then, the exact same thing happened again on the other side! In pretty much the exact same spot!

The piece still fits into the ball joint well enough, so it displays ok, but still, I was kind of upset and a little shocked that a toy that wasn't even 10 years old could break so quickly after being opened. The fact that he's a rare toy makes it sting a little bit more. But, it's gold plastic, so I should have seen it coming.

Sayonara.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Generation 1

The thumb on my Alternators Swerve broke off when I tried to remove the gun from his hand. Still pretty pissed off about it.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Autovolt 127
Animated

I'm starting to worry about DOTM Starscream now.
Add me on Discord: Autovolt#7759
Autovolt 127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjatron View Post
Damn, this one got me too. I bought one on eBay this past winter. Payed a decent amount for it, but the seller gave me a partial refund after noticing that the packaging was not in great shape before sending it to me. The figure inside still looked fine, so I cut it open. As soon as I tried to transform it, a piece of gold plastic from the ball joint that connects the upper face to the robot shoulder broke off. And I mean it shot out like a bullet! The friction of the ball joint must have been too much for the gold plastic after whatever deterioration had set in, and even the slightest movement caused all that pressure to shoot out.

Then, the exact same thing happened again on the other side! In pretty much the exact same spot!

The piece still fits into the ball joint well enough, so it displays ok, but still, I was kind of upset and a little shocked that a toy that wasn't even 10 years old could break so quickly after being opened. The fact that he's a rare toy makes it sting a little bit more. But, it's gold plastic, so I should have seen it coming.

Sayonara.
What gold plastic? Is this the Megabolt repaint that came with Jhiaxus or Megabolt Megatron? Either way, darn, I have the repaint on my wants list. Plus I thought he was green not gold.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
Ninjatron
Overlord of all Ninjas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
What gold plastic? Is this the Megabolt repaint that came with Jhiaxus or Megabolt Megatron? Either way, darn, I have the repaint on my wants list. Plus I thought he was green not gold.
Megabolt. Not Megatron Megabolt, just Megabolt.
He's gold with green paint.

If I were you, I might consider not trying to track that one down.

Sayonara.