Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > Toys and Collectibles

Old 01-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind
Small review of Sideshow's Raiders Indiana Jones

So I finally received my Indy figure from the BBTS pre-order I did back in March. It has been a long time coming, and I got to say that while it is really cool to have, it may not have been worth the $89.99 price tag. This is multiplied by the fact that the Canadian dollar dropped significantly during this time, so the cost was that much more, but I digress, I got it and am happy that it is my collection.
I have wanted this piece ever since I saw a similar Indy figure that was released in Japan 10 years ago. I’m a little sketchy on the details of it, but I do remember things like a Real zipper on the leather jacket, a real looking Idol and leather bull whip. I vowed if I was ever able, I would get it for myself. Unfortunately it cost something like 300 bucks, so when The Sideshow one surfaced it would have to do.
The Box is everything that a Sideshow collectible should be. It has some nice photos of the figures and folds out to reveal the figure and accessories in separate plastic window boxes. There is also a nice narrative about Indy and his adventures on the inlays. If I was a MISB collector I would be happy as the window boxes give a glimpse of the quality of the figure and accessories, but I not, so I have a chance to see for myself.

After removing Indy my biggest issue arises...He is floppy...too floppy. I was concerned that the joints would be tight, but it is quite the opposite. He seems to be very posable, but I was concerned that any pose would fall like a Woody the Cowboy doll. Lucky for me, there is a stand...
Further inspection shows the awesome detail that went into the figure. The Sculpt matches a young Harrison, the clothes are made very well and match Indy to a T. The accessories include the standard different sets of hands, with or without gloves, Two hand Guns, the Idol from his first on screen adventure, another hatless head, another headless hat, a molded bag of sand to act as a counter weight for the Idol and finally two whips: one to hold and one coiled to fit on the belt. The un-coiled whip is possible, with a wire in it. This is both good and bad IMO, I like that I can do action poses, but think that a real leather whip may look better.

There are also a host of details on the figure itself that stand out. These include real sewn pockets, separate leather holster and a little treasure bag that can close with magnets. I guess it is the accessories that really make these figures.

Over all I like it. It seems like the folks at Sideshow really put a lot of work and detail into this figure, much more than your standard 12” Hasbro figure, but I'm not sure if it for everyone. I give it a solid 7/10.
More pics:

And my Indy Collection:

Thanks for reading!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: Small review of Sideshow's Raiders Indiana Jones

I don't collect such figures but this was a fun read.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Batman
The Dark Knight

The new Sideshow Prometheus body has started off as an epic failure. It is not just your figure man, it is ALL of the Sideshow Indy figures. This is the body they are planning to use to replace the old male Buck body. I am now concerned about any upcoming figures using it (Snake Eyes) and have cancelled my pre orders.

The main problems on my figure were floppy neck, loose ankle joints, and floppy hips. I can fix these problems but for a $100 figure (at my local CBS) I should not have to. That being said, I decided to go the Hot Toys True Type body route and managed to assemble one for $25 off of ebay. This is the main body Hot Toys uses (Dark Knight figures for example) and is considered one of the best 1/6 scale bodies on the market by many including myself. Indy is fully compatible, the ball joints on the ankles of the TT (True Type) fit right into the holes of his boots, and even though they were not designed to hold a ball joint, they do. The head swaps perfectly and you will need to cut about half of the wrist peg off of the Indy hand for it to fit into the TT arm. Once you do the swap I must say the figure goes from a C to an A+. The clothes fit much better and look more natural, and you now have a nice and tight Indiana Jones figure who can hold amazing poses without the stand.

I love all of the accessories and the costume. All of it is great quality. It would have been nice to have a real leather Jacket, but the faux leather one does the job. I highly reccommend anyone who loves Indy to pick this guy up, and pick up a TT to with it.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Wow, I had no idea that there was such a big issue with the body type. It is really too bad, especially for the other figures like Snake Eyes. It may be worth an email to sideshow to see if they can do anything. Sure they may not do anything about Indy, but they may want to know that I won't be buying anymore of their products. And thanks Pascel...my first attempt at a review and planning on doing more on older toys.