Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy
Transformers 30th Anniversary memory

Like the title says, what do you guys remember about Transformers when you were little kids back in the days, comics, cartoons, toys.

As for me, I was only 4 when the I saw the first cartoon in 84, I was too young to read the comics. And by the time the Transformers hit their peak, I moved to Greece in 1985 and Transformers there weren't so popular, but still had toys and cartoons in Greek. I had a few toys as well like:Megatron, Optimus Prime, Jazz, Wheeljack, Soundwave, Blaster, Headstrong, Metroplex, Runamuck and Runabout and Omega Supreme. I didn't had time to read the comics, that's why I never knew what happened in the comics. And by the time I came back to Canada in 1990, Transformers comics have ended.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Buhawi
Ang Alamat
Re: Transformers 30th Anniversary memory

I was four when I first saw that cartoon. I was into matchbox cars back then. I remember standing them as if they transformed. I can't remember at what age I got my first transformer. I only had a few. Beachcomber, brawn were my earliest memories. I didn't have the entire combiner but I remember having Dragstrip. I got him for my bday or something. The very last transformer toy I had was G1 Broadside.

As a kid, I was more into Ninja Turtles, Joes, MASK and mostly video games.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

I remember the first Sunday that Transformers premiered on the Commander Tom show in 1984. I was a fan of all action cartoons but my collecting was mainly GI Joe. I had a few Transformers and I think my Ravage is the only survivor.

Flash Forward to 1995. I saw a commercial on an LA station advertizing animals that transform and the show was called Beast Wars Transformers. I wasn't sure what the heck was happening but it said Transformers so it got my attention. I was also really into Reboot at the time so it was an easy transition. Before watching BW I knew a couple of the bigger names from G1 but my knowledge was almost all gone. BW is where I started collecting and became a fan of the entire franchise.

Currently I am loving the 3P, Generations and MP Golden Age. I don't care for the live action movies but I am excited about the new Transformers cartoon. It looks like a blend of Animates (love) and Prime (also up there).

That is my day 1- today. Happy 30th Transformers.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Beast Wars? None of us bothered to get any of the toys, I was already 16 back then. I remember looking at them with the same disgust as now. Ewww. All my friends loved the cartoon though so I'm familiar with it a little. I thought all that love was BS since it was canadian made. That show was so shitty. Especially in comparison to Reboot. I remember getting a call telling me to watch it right away. I saw G1 Prime but was let down afterwards. Stupid animal bots. :lol
Old 04-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

Shush there Buhawi. Beast wars is when writing was introduced to Transformers.

Beast Era forever. I look forward to getting a new ALL BEAST series in the future.

Character > Cars lol
Old 04-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transbot90210 View Post
Shush there Buhawi. Beast wars is when writing was introduced to Transformers.

Beast Era forever. I look forward to getting a new ALL BEAST series in the future.

Character > Cars lol
I was at the school library killing time. Loyola campus if I remember corrrectly. I suddenly remembered that god awful show and wondered where those animals took my beloved show. I looked up Transformers online.

To my amusement, I was lead to a small but amazing flash animation. http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/5136

Killing more time I followed other links and was given my first view of the new Transformers. Car robots. It felt good. Screw that stupid animal I show I said. I watched Megatron descend and transform into multiple alt modes. He was great. I also accepted the new alt mode for Prime.

Still no toy purchase for me. I was more into girls at the time.

The show in english was even more awful. So no shows for me since G1.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

RID Decepticons were half Beasts, including Megatron.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

I was 11 when the show came out and I liked my before and after school cartoons I'd watch the CFMT shows like Grandizer, GaiKing and those 3 other Robot guys in the morning and after school I watched Transformers at 4:30. I remembered seeing the ads for the new fall schedule on the Fox Buffalo station and seeing the Transformers cartoon on it. So I made it a point to watch it on day one.

I asked for a Soundwave that Christmas and got a Cassette Man instead, it wasn't exactly what I wanted but it was close. The next year I asked for Transformers again "the real ones this time" and my brother wanted one too so he got Slag and I got Snarl.

Frustrated by not getting any TF's for my 12th birthday I went and got 4 paper routes and started buying my own clothes and TF's. One time when I was 12 I went to Sears at the Bramalea City Centre in Ontario here with my 5 year old brother, there was nothing new so we left (it was where I bought most of my TF's) and we were stopped in the mall by undercover security who thought we had taken something from Sears. They asked if we had anything that belonged to Sears, I pulled out my empty pockets to show them, said NO and walked away. You could say Transformers helped give me a work ethic and a can do attitude.

I quit my paper routes when I was 14 pared them down and then was out, living off my savings and parents, lol. I thought I had bought my last TF's then when I just turned 15 and got a job at Swiss Chalet with Powermaster Prime, The Seacons, all '88 the cassettte bots, Quake and Getaway but then Erector and Monstructor came out when I was about to turn 16. I'm pretty sure Erector was the last G1 TF I purchased back then. I definitely had a thing for combiners and cassette bots back then.

Watched BW in my 20's bought the PS1 game. Bought the Armada game for the PS2. Then came my son, Cybertron, altenators and Classics and the rest is internet history.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

I was 10 in 1983 when my dad brought back a red Diaclone Corvette Stingray toy from his trip through Asia that I hungrily ripped open and cherished. No one in Edmonton had anything like it. That was my favourite toy leading up to the Marvel comics then the premiere of the G1 cartoon. After that I was a spoiled-rotten only child that got a Transformer for every occasion, but that Diaclone Corvette is definitely my fondest memory about Transformers. When Tracks appeared onscreen for the first time I was sure they got his colour wrong, expecting to see him shed his blue paint like some molting lizard but that never happened. When I donated my whole collection to my church garage sale in 1997, pre-Tracks was missing his missiles and I'd torn the magnets of the driver's feet but I still had the tattered box and foam tray. Some lucky bastard either thought they hit the jackpot or played with their "new" toy until it fell apart. Either way I'd like to think it brought them as much happiness as it did for me.

Last edited by jjwankenobi; 04-16-2014 at 04:00 PM.
jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

^ That's awesome.

You always had them this whole time? Time to check out your collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transbot90210 View Post
RID Decepticons were half Beasts, including Megatron.
I found myself looking for cool decepticons. I went to Toys R Us to buy a new video game to play but the transformers scaled and detailed car caught my full attention. I spent maybe an hour trying to find the right toy to buy as these toys were 34.99$. I couldn't find any decepticon at all. So I went for any G1 looking autobot with an awesome and updated car mode. It was a close battle but Silverstreak won over the stupid jeep. Plus the alt mode looked like Bunta's car from the first Initial D arcade game. I spent another 30 minutes at the parking lot transforming the damn thing. I thought to myself, how amazing the toy was and questioned my decision about buying a child's toy at my age. That was my first and almost last purchase.