Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
down_shift
Fortress Maximus
My thoughts on the POTP Dinobots.

Now that I've got all 6 Dinobots from the POTP line I've been messing around with them a little more. They look good as a set, but I'm starting to see lots of issues. Mostly with Swoop, but Slag and Sludge have issues too.

After only a few months Swoop doesn't peg together anymore. I don't know of the pegs have swollen, or of they've warped but things don't snap together anymore. The lower red part of his beak has absolutely zero ability to stay up anymore. His wings have become very loose too. Thankfully, robot mode seems fine.

Slag and Sludge are terrible in both limb modes as well as dino modes. They really can't peg together. It's really bad.

Snarls tail doesn't peg flush together, but it isn't noticeable unless you're looking at it from underneath. Overall, has pretty good. Giving him a clear sword seems like a dumb move. But I'm not too bothered by it.

Grimlock and Slash are the two that have the least issues. Actually, I'd even say they have no issues, aside from some aesthetic choices that Hasbro went with.

The combined mode is a complete waste. It just looks TERRIBLE top to bottom. With Slag and Sludge being unable to hold either limb configuration, it just looks like a janky mess. I'm sure it will look better with the PE sets, but I honestly don't want to rely on a 3P to make something tolerable. At least most of the CW sets looked good on their own, and the PE sets just male them MORE enjoyable.

Overall I'm happy with the team since they will stay in robot mode for most if their shelf life, but they are a little disappointing when you compare them to other Deluxe and Voyager class figures. You know they could have been a lot better if this idea was executed years ago when build quality and parts counts were allowed higher numbers, but for what they can do now it is what it is.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions
Re: My thoughts on the POTP Dinobots.

That is most unfortunate. I don't plan on picking up any of these Dinos myself but for everyone who is excited about completing this set the execution and engineering seems like a damn shame
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
down_shift
Fortress Maximus

So far the best combiner out of the line looks to be Battletrap. He's (in my option) the best figure/set since Gnaw, and anyone who knows me knows what kind if rager I have for that thing.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
So far the best combiner out of the line looks to be Battletrap. He's (in my option) the best figure/set since Gnaw, and anyone who knows me knows what kind if rager I have for that thing.
Well agreed on the Gnaw lol. Hoping wave 2 shows up cause I really want Battletrap
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #5
RaidenisOP
Plastic Spark

I'm sad that after waiting so long we still don't have a nice generations dinobot set...

My dream is to one day have a complete set of Milne style bots as they appear in this pic. Though with a blue swoop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dinos.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	39010

Feedback Thread
RaidenisOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

My Slag has no problems pegging together in any mode. Swoop has the same "splitting" problem with the gestalt forearm that too many CW limbs have had (Dead End mold was the worst). I like the toys. They look great. I'll reserve judgment on combined mode until I have the other two limbs in hand, but honestly, I like what I see so far.

Totally cool with your opinions, other than thinking that the pegging or QC issues are definitive. On your copies I guess. I really enjoy them.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
Msol
Titanium

Hah, I thought this was a GotBot thread based on the title...
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

Fake news.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

I'll let you know how I feel aboot the whole team after I pop the rest of them open thanks to you bud. It's a shame that this set really, REALLY needs the perfect effect set to look good or some kind of modification. Individual bots are ok but should have been voyager and leader class. Think I'm gonna OD on plastic Crack tonight haha.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
TRUCKvsGUN

I only own Grimlock, Swoop and Slag myself. They look great (for their pricepoints), but yeah the QC ain't there at all on my Grimlock. His tail wouldn't tab together at all (hip ratchet spacing issue) and I had to get him replaced. He has poorly applied paint on the combined mode head as well - something I wouldn't mention if not for the fact that his replacement has the exact same issue. The gold painted under the transparent plastic is poorly applied as well. I'm not going to roll the dice on a third Grimlock because the next one might be worse.

Thumbs up to the designer - these are ambitious yet economical designs and they did a fine job given the steep parameters of everything these toys have to be.

Big middle fingers to the QC people who didn't live up to their end of the process.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote