Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Scourge
Mini-Con
Some questions about KO WST Devastator.

First off, as a new member I'd like to say hi to this awesome community.

I'll just preface this post with some back story if you don't mind:

I've been looking for a pair of Discotators (the Dollarama exclusive horribly miscoloured constructicon set) for a little redeco project I had in mind. Mainly because they're $6 a piece and apparently not too bad quality (for KOs).

I haven't looked too hard yet, being located on the south shore of Montreal and having no driver's license means my means of locating Dollaramas is rather limited, but I have been looking around on KOTOYS.com and noticed that their KO WST Devastator is within my price range.

http://www.kotoys.com/kotoys.php?id=...WST+Devastator

My questions are as follow:
1. Has anyone gotten this set and if so, what's the quality like?
2. How small is it in comparison to a full size Devastator? Small or Tiny? (Site says it's 13-14 cm, but I suck at estimating anything.)

Slightly off topic, but has anyone managed to see a Discostator or two within the Montreal or south shore area recently? Or maybe even a KO Laser Rod Optimus?
Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus
Re: Some questions about KO WST Devastator.

Welcome!

One of the first toys I ever bought online was a WST Devastator. It ended up being the same size as the original. I looked around but always found the same picture. It may be the KO name for Devastator. The set I have does not have any metal parts like the original, but fit together well. The stickers are poor, but overall quality was good. He stands up on his own.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
Aernaroth
Metroplex

For a KO, I thought the quality was pretty good, but its still far below some of the high-end KOs and the original. You get what you pay for, basically. IIRC, he's around the same size as a normal devastator, but a little bit larger, such that the parts can't be swapped I don't think.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #4
hugh_da_man
Armada

I have the wst and the mini devy from KOToys. Mini is like 3/4 the size of the real devastator. I'd say he's about an inch and a half shorter.

WST devy is about a quarter or a third of the size. He stands at about the waist of full size devy.

Quality is decent. I actually think the WST is higher quality than the Mini but just my opinion. They've simplified and changed things to make them smaller and easier to manufacture.
hugh_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
Scourge
Mini-Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerguy76 View Post
Welcome!

One of the first toys I ever bought online was a WST Devastator. It ended up being the same size as the original. I looked around but always found the same picture. It may be the KO name for Devastator. The set I have does not have any metal parts like the original, but fit together well. The stickers are poor, but overall quality was good. He stands up on his own.
Glad to be a part of the community.

I figured there would be no die-cast pieces, seeing as how it's KO, but it works out better for me anyways. Keeps shipping (weight) costs down and I will be using Tamiya aerosols to redeco at least one of them, redecoing the other is debatable because I'd just be re-doing the Gen 1 colours which it's molded in anyways. And stickers aren't an issue, if I really want some I can most likely get some at reprolable.

I might also get the Bruticus from the same set and redeco it into a show-accurate coloured RiD Ruination, so having the two be the same size might come in handy later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernaroth View Post
For a KO, I thought the quality was pretty good, but its still far below some of the high-end KOs and the original. You get what you pay for, basically. IIRC, he's around the same size as a normal devastator, but a little bit larger, such that the parts can't be swapped I don't think.
I figured at $6 either one, WST or Discostator, wouldn't be great quality. They're more or less just for display purposes.

Part swapping isn't a problem either. I have a very small and ecclectic collection of TFs at the moment... a few Gen 1s, a KO Jetfire from my local dollar store and X-Brawn. It's my mecha collection that's impressive.

Last edited by Scourge; 05-28-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

it's tiny, fits well in combined mode with the wst set, i'll take some pics later if you want them, also if you get it, he does need some paint to make him g1 accurate, also the bruticus set looks really good painted up in g1 colors,

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Scourge
Mini-Con

Some pics would be great, thanks. As for Bruticus it's still debatable.

I was too young to remember anything about Gen 1 beyond "Optimus is awesome" and "giant robots that transformed." Saw RiD and ended up remembering it more than Gen 1. Hence I still identify Bruticus as Ruination.

... I might just get a pair and redeco one as Bruticus and the other as Ruination.

Are they just molded plastic, or do they have paint I'll have to strip?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Why don't you just get Ruination? He isn't expensive and it saves you all the work of repainting and more then likely breaking the KO

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Scourge
Mini-Con

I guess it would be for the challenge of taking a KO and making it look nice for display purposes more than anything.

All I've decided so far is that I'll get a pair of cheap KO Devas and redeco one custom colours and the other show-accurate.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
Aernaroth
Metroplex

The wst combiners are about the scale of micromasters or minicons, if that's of any use to you.

There's also a wst-scale bruticus set, which I always liked, quality is about the same as the devastator (good, not amazing for a KO, especially one at that size), that might be cheaper than looking for a ruination/bruticus, though there's also full size bruticus KO sets of varying quality that are one of the mainstays of KO transformers.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devastator, discostator, knockoff, kos