Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 12-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions
Talking CW Mixmaster - 3D printing FTW!!!

After recently acquiring a CW Devastator (thanks Optimus Puto), I decided something had to be done about Mixmaster's vehicle and foot modes. Luckily I have the magic of 3D printing at my command.

First of all, this is not my design. I tip my hat to manfredvr on Thingiverse

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1730753

As an added bonus, I can sell these thanks to the license manfredvr attached to it.

It took about 8 hours to print, and then about a day (on and off) to assemble and fit using a hobby knife and some Kraggle.

Main mistake: I shouldn't have printed on a raft. Next printing will be much smoother.

It should be easily removable, but the slightly remaining layer of raft plastic makes it REALLY tight. I think I'll need a screwdriver to pry it off.

Also, the sides of the cab do slightly hinder arm movement outwards when the arms are pointed forward, but I can live with that. The weight of the add-on also makes Mixmaster back-heavy, but then I had that problem from the get-go with his loose hips.

There's the ability to swap out the cab's roof between a solid square for vehicle mode, and a roof with cutout for foot mode. Since the cutout works for robot mode too, I just decided to glue it in place and live with the slightly odd vehicle roof. Oh well, better than before.

Printed in gray ABS plastic, 0.2mm layers with 5% 3D honeycomb in-fill, raft layer and pillar supports, 4 perimeters, 4 solid rectilinear top/bottom in-fill layers. ~8 hours printing the batch all at once.

It isn't painted, I'll get around to that at a later time.

But here's what you really came for: the pictures!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04068.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	35422
Robot mode, side view.

Name:	DSC04069.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	35423
Robot mode, front view.

Name:	DSC04070.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	35424
Robot mode, back view.

Name:	DSC04071.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	35425
Vehicle mode, front-side view.

Name:	DSC04072.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	35426
Leg mode with ankle pivot, front-side view.

Name:	DSC04073.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	35427
Leg mode, front-side view.

Comments and questions are welcome.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #2
alternatorfan
g1 baby
Re: CW Mixmaster - 3D printing FTW!!!

Can you make me one but in green neon plastic??
And roughly cost lmk as i am interested.
Thanks
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

looks good, can u post a full picture with Devastator? Just want to see how it looks in whole mode compare with the left leg.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:12 PM   #4
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

That Mixmaster add-on looks a lot like the one made by Perfect Effect. Hope there aren't any issues with copyright in that case.

Last edited by WereDragon EX; 12-07-2016 at 11:17 PM.
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:27 AM   #5
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

Most impressive
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:02 AM   #6
Shock
Generation 2

Wow, sorry to tell you this but manfredvr blatantly copied the engineering and look of the Perfect Effect Mixmaster addon from PC-06. Certain details in the bumber, grill, windows, mirror positioning, even details on the sidedoors indicate this is a direct unlicensed rip-off of Perfect Effect and I wouldn't sell this if I were you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnwcQTbT4nM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ghq0SffQjQ

Nothing against your 3D printing skills but I would highly recommend PC-06 as a painted, polished, injection-molded, finished add on kit, even at $50 (which comes with other Devastator parts like shoulder, arms, cranes, hands, etc.) versus someone who stole the design and leaves a 3D printed texture and painting to do.

The new version of PC-06 fixes the floppy wrists too.

Last edited by Shock; 12-08-2016 at 04:27 AM.
Shock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #7
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
Wow, sorry to tell you this but manfredvr blatantly copied the engineering and look of the Perfect Effect Mixmaster addon from PC-06. Certain details in the bumber, grill, windows, mirror positioning, even details on the sidedoors indicate this is a direct unlicensed rip-off of Perfect Effect and I wouldn't sell this if I were you.

Nothing against your 3D printing skills but I would highly recommend PC-06 as a painted, polished, injection-molded, finished add on kit, even at $50 (which comes with other Devastator parts like shoulder, arms, cranes, hands, etc.) versus someone who stole the design and leaves a 3D printed texture and painting to do.

I think it's fine even if OP directly copied from PE. (I'm not saying it is a copy, which I'm not sure since I don't have PE add-on and didn't pay attention to PE set)

First PE doesn't own the license for this add-on anyway, it didn't register copyright anywhere. PE is just another 3rd party company ripping off of Hasbro 's intellectual property .

Second as we know PE's add-on is an expensive bundle which include quite a few parts, not everyone want all of them. If OP is just selling the truck add-on for Mixmaster, that's probably better for buyers.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Since there's a much better quality and painted one that looks virtually identical (even more considering I was going to mod the extra roof piece to be curved and glue it on, just like I now see the 3rd party one), I won't be selling an assembled and painted version.

I can do it as a gray or blue ABS kit if someone wants to have a bit of fun assembling it and painting it and all that. I'd clean the pieces, but that's about it. I have blue and gray, no point in getting green since it'd be near impossible to match and would need painting anyways.

$20 for time, material and cleaning sounds about right, compared to my other 3d print sales prices. Shipping it is another issue, though. It's fairly weighty. Being printed in plates means there isn't as much material and weight saving in-fill. Feels like it might be 2 to 3 times as heavy as the Vector Sigma playset I can make.

At $50, the PE kit is a MUCH better cost (and look) considering the time and materials put in to making this thing. Plus you get the other add-ons too. Might pick one up myself, just to compare the two in-hand (not to mention the other upgrades, and it removes my need to paint). At first, I was just going to get the kit to give Scrapper and Long-haul elbows.

I mean, I went through three of those dollar store super glue 4-packs just to get it together. And like a day to fit it and put it together, because, you know, glue's gotta dry between pieces.

It was a fun build, though. Been a long while since I did any model making. I might try my hand at adjusting the details to make it better scale with the other vehicles.

Anyways, I still applaud manfredvr for chopping this into pieces and making it printable. One of the first real functional add-on pieces I've printed, aside from weapons and accessories. At least, I hope that's what manfredvr did. I don't have the PE piece next to me to see if it's just the two pieces, or if it was cast in plates like what I printed.

For now, I'll keep it unpainted and see how it wears as time goes on. My other weapons and accessories don't exactly have many hinges or slides, so I'm curious to see how it holds up. So far it's being handled WAY rougher than anything else I've made, but then it's bulky and the others are not.

If anyone wants, I can take some close-up shots of surfaces so you can get an idea of what a low-to-mid quality 3D printer can make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post

Last edited by Shepp; 12-08-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #9
Shock
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
Since there's a much better quality and painted one that looks virtually identical (even more considering I was going to mod the extra roof piece to be curved and glue it on, just like I now see the 3rd party one), I won't be selling an assembled and painted version.

I can do it as a gray or blue ABS kit if someone wants to have a bit of fun assembling it and painting it and all that. I'd clean the pieces, but that's about it. I have blue and gray, no point in getting green since it'd be near impossible to match and would need painting anyways.

$20 for time, material and cleaning sounds about right, compared to my other 3d print sales prices. Shipping it is another issue, though. It's fairly weighty. Being printed in plates means there isn't as much material and weight saving in-fill. Feels like it might be 2 to 3 times as heavy as the Vector Sigma playset I can make.

At $50, the PE kit is a MUCH better cost (and look) considering the time and materials put in to making this thing. Plus you get the other add-ons too. Might pick one up myself, just to compare the two in-hand (not to mention the other upgrades, and it removes my need to paint). At first, I was just going to get the kit to give Scrapper and Long-haul elbows.

I mean, I went through three of those dollar store super glue 4-packs just to get it together. And like a day to fit it and put it together, because, you know, glue's gotta dry between pieces.

It was a fun build, though. Been a long while since I did any model making. I might try my hand at adjusting the details to make it better scale with the other vehicles.

Anyways, I still applaud manfredvr for chopping this into pieces and making it printable. One of the first real functional add-on pieces I've printed, aside from weapons and accessories. At least, I hope that's what manfredvr did. I don't have the PE piece next to me to see if it's just the two pieces, or if it was cast in plates like what I printed.

For now, I'll keep it unpainted and see how it wears as time goes on. My other weapons and accessories don't exactly have many hinges or slides, so I'm curious to see how it holds up. So far it's being handled WAY rougher than anything else I've made, but then it's bulky and the others are not.

If anyone wants, I can take some close-up shots of surfaces so you can get an idea of what a low-to-mid quality 3D printer can make.
It's still impressive that you printed and put this together. The PE kit is injection molded and the color and finish basically matches the Hasbro Devastator spot-on. If anybody buys it, look for a sticker on the box that says 2016 or new version.

One thing that PE didn't make is the Takara version arms for some of the bots and that would be cool. PC-07 which is their arm kit is not very good and doesn't give the arm extensions like Takara did. I might pick it up anyway just to get Scrapper some elbows though.
Shock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:31 AM   #10
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus

Any thoughts of re-issuing this printed version for the downsized CW Devastator in a smaller format? Some weapons as well in that size would be a nice compliment. Nice work!
MilanX3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3d printing, add-on, devastator, mixmaster, thingiverse