Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-31-2016, 06:03 PM   #21
CanBot
Cybertron
Re: Combiner Wars Devastator: Q/C Issues Lookout/Thread

Don't be so quick to judge Takara's UW Devy as superior in QC. I've had two CW Hasbro Devy's and each were flawless in terms of QC. My UW, while still very good, has some things like blotchy coloured paint on Bonecrusher, and overall each robot in alt mode is not quite a 'tight' as the CW bots. Scrapper's loader and Bonecrusher's scoop are also looser than their CW counterparts.

It really is luck of the draw. I love Takara too, but this isn't a case where one is 'better' than the other, at least not in QC terms.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:50 PM   #22
OldOfflineMan
Beasty
OldOfflineMan's Ebay Auctions

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is interested and stumbles on this thread, I managed to figure out a way to replace a broken locking tab on Scrapper with a paper clip.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...804#post773804
Old 07-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #23
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

I didn't know if I should start a new thread or just revive this old one.

I just got the new CBB KO downsized Combiner Wars Devastator, it arrived almost perfect except there is a warped tab on Scavenger as shown in the photos. It's not broken, yet.

Just wanted to know if anyone in the community has a suggestion on how to shape it back to normal? I was thinking about using heated pliers, but I have never ever modified any Transformers figure ever, so afraid I just melt it right off.

It's not detrimental to the play or transformation of the figure, but would be nice if it is possible to fix. Plus at the price point I got this set at, I didn't expect it to be perfect. Any suggestions/input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Collectingtoys; 07-27-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #24
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectingtoys View Post
I didn't know if I should start a new thread or just revive this old one.

I just got the new CBB KO downsized Combiner Wars Devastator, it arrived almost perfect except there is a warped tab on Scavenger as shown in the photos. It's not broken, yet.

Just wanted to know if anyone in the community has a suggestion on how to shape it back to normal? I was thinking about using heated pliers, but I have never ever modified any Transformers figure ever, so afraid I just melt it right off.

It's not detrimental to the play or transformation of the figure, but would be nice if it is possible to fix. Plus at the price point I got this set at, I didn't expect it to be perfect. Any suggestions/input would be appreciated.

My concern would be melting the tab that way. It is a delicate tab. Hairdryer may be and just Needlenose while the plastic is warm? Maybe?
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:14 PM   #25
OldOfflineMan
Beasty
OldOfflineMan's Ebay Auctions

I would try both. Hair dryer to soften the general area and the heated pliers for more targeted softening and deforming. I advise lots of patience. Steadily increase the heat through repeated attempts as the melting point of this plastic is quite low and it'ss actually quite easy to burn.

I don't believe heated pliers alone is sufficient as these plastics are poor conductors of heat. You may end up melting one part of the tab while the other part stays cold.

Last edited by OldOfflineMan; 07-27-2019 at 06:16 PM.
OldOfflineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:18 PM   #26
JonoPrime
Robot Master

If it doesnt affect the transformation my best suggestion would be to leave it as is.

Those tabs can be quite fragile, given how small they are. And it looks like any modification runs the risk of it snapping off.

However, if youre feeling lucky, Gobot’s suggestion above could help improve it. But Id tread with caution and go slowly.

Try heating it either with warm water or the blow dryer method (no more than 30 seconds at a time) then pinching it delicately with some pliers while running cooler water over top or using the cool setting on the blow dryer. Repeat as necessary and hopefully that tab will look a little better!

Cover with some Future Floor polish, instant glue or clear nail polish to add an extra layer of protection from further stressing.

All the best with the bot

*** oops, posted just after OldOfflineMan ... His method is a little more succinct than mine

Last edited by JonoPrime; 07-27-2019 at 06:20 PM.
JonoPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #27
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBot View Post
My concern would be melting the tab that way. It is a delicate tab. Hairdryer may be and just Needlenose while the plastic is warm? Maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOfflineMan View Post
I would try both. Hair dryer to soften the general area and the heated pliers for more targeted softening and deforming. I advise lots of patience. Steadily increase the heat through repeated attempts as the melting point of this plastic is quite low and it'ss actually quite easy to burn.

I don't believe heated pliers alone is sufficient as these plastics are poor conductors of heat. You may end up melting one part of the tab while the other part stays cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoPrime View Post
If it doesnt affect the transformation my best suggestion would be to leave it as is.

Those tabs can be quite fragile, given how small they are. And it looks like any modification runs the risk of it snapping off.

However, if youre feeling lucky, Gobot’s suggestion above could help improve it. But Id tread with caution and go slowly.

Try heating it either with warm water or the blow dryer method (no more than 30 seconds at a time) then pinching it delicately with some pliers while running cooler water over top or using the cool setting on the blow dryer. Repeat as necessary and hopefully that tab will look a little better!

Cover with some Future Floor polish, instant glue or clear nail polish to add an extra layer of protection from further stressing.

All the best with the bot

*** oops, posted just after OldOfflineMan ... His method is a little more succinct than mine
Gentlemen, thank you kindly.

Surprisingly, I couldn't find a YouTube video on this subject.

Will give you an update on what happens, might be something to do this upcoming long weekend.
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combiner wars, devastator, issues, problems, q/c